Playstation 5 port plastic prone to breakage.

Sendai-Horatio

I had an experience yesterday that was generally quite odd. I inserted a USB device into my PS5 and upon removing it, it pulled out the housing to the PS5's USB port head. After not realizing this right away and trying to insert another device it bent the exposed connectors. So after realizing that the back USB port was FUBAR'd I tried the second USB port and plugged the device in, only upon removal for that USB port's plastic to get stuck in the device's USB head upon removal.

Now I did not remove the device with excessive force or anything. But I had to use a pair of pliers to remove both broken plastic heads that were now clogging my PSVR USB connectors. In the process of doing so, it was not a clean removal. The plastic parts I was trying to extract broke in half both times, which I then had to thread a paperclip into the usb head hole in order to push the remainder out. Closer examination of the plastic showed zero stress marks, the plastic itself is very very brittle and left a bit of a power residue.

Plastic turning into a fine powder or dust is usually the fault of improperly mixed materials and it usually effects the whole batch of plastic components made of that material. And this was the blue plastic used in the PS5 ports. I've never had a USB device break on me in such a way.

Now when i send my PS5 back for repairs will they repair my system or will they just switch it out for a new one? I've already uploaded all my save data to the cloud and backed it up since I can't plug in an external storage device at this point. I have to wonder how aware sony is of this issue, all the PS5 revisions make no mention of any USB port changes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Now when i send my PS5 back for repairs will they repair my system or will they just switch it out for a new one?

More than likely, all warranty claims will be sent replacements, and it’s extremely rare for the same device to be repaired and sent back as it would prolong response times and be really inefficient. 

If this was the result of improperly mixed materials, we should be hearing about tens of thousands of units (or more as the components are made in massive batches) having the same problem very soon in the news. 

20 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If this was the result of improperly mixed materials, we should be hearing about tens of thousands of units (or more as the components are made in massive batches) having the same problem very soon in the news. 

It does seem to be a not too uncommon issue, I've come across a few posts about the exact same thing OP described before.

I wonder if it's only a small batch of consoles affected, or the majority of them (and it just hasn't affected several people yet). I hope it's something they fix in later revisions of the console at least, if they haven't already.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

I wonder if it's only a small batch of consoles affected, or the majority of them (and it just hasn't affected several people yet). I hope it's something they fix in later revisions of the console at least, if they haven't already.

USB ports gonna USB port. That's probably got the same failure rate as USB ports on anything. Ever since USB ports came out, it's been lauded as a bad design. (USB mini/micro didn't help the sentiment.) But the plastic casing being a problem should soon show a lot more affected people if it's a bad batch of materials.

all the ports on the console are cheap and move too much, I've observed this day one of having it and I've made sure to limit interacting with them and be gentle, the console is overall built well, but the ports and cables it comes with are very cheap, I hope they'll do better for a slim/pro version