Hard Mode (Ch17+18, Pride & Joy) Tips

MountainGoat-93

Hi all!

I'm so close yet so far from the final two trophies needed for platinum but am getting steamrolled in Chapter 17, Chapter 18 and the Pride & Joy Prototype simulation. I've had a look at guides online etc for builds, materia is all maxed (almost), and characters are all max level. Basically I'm just not very good haha! Can anyone lend any pointers/tips/advice/help to get me through? Loved this game so much but getting a bit fed up with the same few fights putting me on my ass! 

Coming from games like Elden Ring & Bloodbourne I thought this would be a walk in the park but it definitely isn't! 

TIA

Edited by MountainGoat-93

• 2 weeks later...

My notes for this one:

The Bahamut and Ifrit fight is the most challenging round here. A more conservative lineup is best here with Barrett and Aerith as your tank and heals and your preference between Cloud and Tifa. Slot Elemental Materia + Ice on your DPS character to absorb Shiva's attacks and add an extra boost when you go up against Ifrit. Use weapons with the Reprieve ability as this will be your saving grace when Bahamut casts his Megaflare. At 50% HP, he will summon Ifrit and its best to dispose of Ifrit immediately. Aerith's Blizzaga + some burst DPS would do the trick. Slot Lightning with Aerith too for the Pride and Joy fight. Drop an Arcane ward and cast Thundaga to down Pride and Joy easily.

• 1 year later...

I managed to did it yesterday before starting my hardcore playthrough. 

I used Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. 

Cloud & Tifa: 

Weapon: Heal, chakra, first strike, steadfast block, 2x TP up

Armor: Elemtal-Ice, Revival (+ Analysis on Cloud since I wanted to Analyse all enemies and yet still forgot it on Ifrit…) 

Aerith:

Weapon: Synergy-Lightning, 2x Magic Up, 2x TP up

Armor: Magnify-Healing, Revival

My goal was to „abuse“ the synergy-Materia by constantly switching between Cloud and Tifa, spending ATB and it went pretty good. Mana was mostly used to revive wich I had to a lot since I'm personally not able to dodge stuff… ^^ On my winning try I only casted lightning once on Leviathan and did the flying phase solely with Aerith standard attacks since I run out of mana on the try before for the next fight. ^^

I thougt about mana-reg with lightning combination instead of 2x Magic Up for Aerith, but gladly did not need it. 

Hope this helps anything. ^^

• 1 month later...

I used several guides including using Elemental-Ice in armour and I find that method is restrictive as it’s really used against Shiva in the first round and Ice takes a long time to hit so I found this guide:

But it relies on having THREE fury rings which can be only found in the secret chest in Corneo Mansion. But this is easily done by chapter 14 selection and rushing over to the Mansion and go through the hidden path under the stairs on the ground floor. Open chest. Save. Chapter selection and repeat until you get three Fury Rings. And you need a lot of maxed out Materia.

i followed this video and I can manage to beat Shiva under 2 minutes. The video does have empty Materia slots so I just piled on HP UP and MP UP into them but I put on Elemental-Fire in Cloud’s and Tifa’s armour which is a godsend against Bahamut when he summons Ifrit. When Ifrit shows up, just ignore him and focus on Bahamut (yes Bahamut still does the Mega Flare when Ifrit is out and about) and make sure NOT to switch to Aerith during this phase or the terrible duo will swat her into oblivion. Use the commands selection instead. When bahamut is down, take your sweet time getting Ifrit to hit Cloud and Tifa and healing them. Abuse Aerith’s MP drain to build up her MP to at least 50% of her MP total. Plummet Ifrit just before he does his final move.

this takes me a few tries to practise especially Shiva and Leviathan.

Having the bonus accessory by beating the final Shrina Combat simulator helps a lot in the final 3 chapters. So it is worth it.

Good luck.