PS5 2022 Games - Highlights and Lowlights?

PotrikBerger

On 12/28/2022 at 2:55 AM, PotrikBerger said:

Interesting....I have never played a gran Turismo and was thinking about this in the new year. However, I can’t stand grinding. It’s my most hated aspect of gaming, so I must know What is the grind fest you warn of? Is it grinding xp levels, or cash etc? How extensive is thengrimd? Does it dominate the game?

You may not need to grind if you just want to finish all of the races. But you won't get to drive around half of the cars in the game unless you grind. Some of the most expensive ones can take upwards of 12 hours per car.

Highlights:

God of War Ragnarok - This is a masterpiece. I don't really get emotional during most games or movies, but Ragnarok became an exception with that ending. This game is nearly perfect and quickly shot up to my top 3.

A Plague Tale: Requiem - This game blew me away. I was not expecting it to be as good as it was. Despite me somewhat predicting the ending about halfway through the game, it didn't make it hurt any less.

The Callisto Protocol - I had a great time overall, more than most people. The combat clicked with me and I didn't really have any trouble except at the beginning. The GRP was a lot of fun to play around with. However, I didn't like the manual save system and chapters 6 and 7. Originally I was going to do two playthroughs (normal and hard) but after seeing how chapter 6 and 7 worked, I just said screw it and glitched the hard difficulty trophy. Throwing a billion enemies at you for making the slightest progress towards your objective isn't good design. It doesn't make the game any scarier, it just gets annoying. 

Horizon Forbidden West - It's a beautiful game and I loved the new machines. Too bad it picked such a bad release date. I cannot wait for the DLC and the chance to fight a living Horus. 

The Last of Us Part I - This is basically for newcomers or big fans of the series. Also before this, I didn't actually own the first game. I only had it through PS Plus. 

Crisis Core: FF7 Reunion - I only recently got into Final Fantasy so this was my first time playing Crisis Core and it is so good. I can't believe it took me this long to play it. The ending really hurt (especially that last gunshot), even though it seems to have been undone in FF7R. 

Resident Evil Village: Winters Expansion DLC - This DLC made me like Mercenaries. The three new characters are so much fun to play and Lady D is an absolute powerhouse. Shadows of Rose was great too. Rose's abilities actually made sense in the story and House Beneviento might actually be scarier than in the main game. We waited over a year for this and I thought it was definitely worth it. 

Mids (not good enough to be a highlight but not bad enough to be a lowlights):

Dying Light 2 - If this was just launch DL2, it wouldn't be a mid. I had a great time with the game at launch. Yeah the bugged trophies and Ultramarathon sucked, but I play games for more than just trophies. However when I came back for the DLC, it was like the game had taken one step back. I liked the DLC but it felt buggier. Also fuck the Carnage Hall gold medal challenges.

Elden Ring - Yeah, you're reading this right. Some things just didn't sit right with me. I only liked 5, maybe 7 of the bosses (usually I end up liking most of the bosses in Souls games) and I didn't like the enemy (not level) scaling. However, it was still pretty fun and Torrent and the exploration was great. It was decent, but not the masterpiece people had hyped it up to be. 

Lowlights:

None that I can think of right now. 

Edited by SnakeSound222