Connection to other games

4 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

None of the games are really related to one another outside of small easter eggs. The curator is a common thread I guess, and some character models are tweaked slightly and reused between games, but lore wise there's no real connections AFAIK

Yeah I think the games are all supposed to be their own individual stories with no real link to one another. However, they are all spiritually linked thanks to concept of The Curator.

I guess the real lore of the Dark Pictures series is that you’re just some guy recounting these stories to this mysterious immortal being, The Curator, who records them in his library and has been collecting stories like this for thousands of years. This kind of suggests in a way that the stories and characters might exist within the same universe, or that they could all be complete fiction in your character’s mind. It’s intentionally vague and ambiguous, as are many interpretations or theories of the actual stories from each game.

Also in regards to the stories themselves, it’s clear the writers take a lot of inspiration from real life history and mythology. I’m playing Little Hope right now, which is very obviously based on the Salem Witch Trials/The Crucible. Man of Medan is based on the supremely creepy story of the Ourang Medan ghost ship. House of Ashes is inspired by mythology from an ancient civilization called the Akkadian empire, and the new game is inspired by “America’s first serial killer” H.H. Holmes, and the sensationalized tales and reports of his infamous “Murder Castle” and torture chambers that horrified and captivated the public after his capture.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1