PS3 controllers don't connect to PS3 super slim

SenkiDala

Dunno where to ask so I try here. :)

I have 2 PS3s. 1 slim and 1 super slim.

The problem occurs on the super slim. It worked fine for like a year or 2 (I bought it used) and one day, like this, without any reason it stopped recognizing the controller. First I thought, it was the controller that was faulty because I bought it used so... 

Then I bought a 2nd controller, a 3rd party one. and it... doesn't work either... Ah and the problem is similar wireless or through USB (tried with 2 cables).

Then I thought "I'm dumb, why not trying on my slim"! And then... Both controllers works, wireless or with USB, immediatly. 

So, I dunno what to think, I thought in might be the "bluetooth chip" that was dead on the super slim but it would work with the cable... I tried a factory reset but it asks to plug the controller with a cable and it just doesn't detect the controller, whichever cable or controller I use.

So I really don't have any idea, the console is "legit", wasn't hacked or anything, I never opened it and when I bought it it was in mint condition, and anyways it worked flawlessly during at least a year. 

Any idea ? Is it a common thing ? Thanks. :) 

4 minutes ago, SenkiDala said:

Dunno where to ask so I try here. :)

I have 2 PS3s. 1 slim and 1 super slim.

The problem occurs on the super slim. It worked fine for like a year or 2 (I bought it used) and one day, like this, without any reason it stopped recognizing the controller. First I thought, it was the controller that was faulty because I bought it used so... 

Then I bought a 2nd controller, a 3rd party one. and it... doesn't work either... Ah and the problem is similar wireless or through USB (tried with 2 cables).

Then I thought "I'm dumb, why not trying on my slim"! And then... Both controllers works, wireless or with USB, immediatly. 

So, I dunno what to think, I thought in might be the "bluetooth chip" that was dead on the super slim but it would work with the cable... I tried a factory reset but it asks to plug the controller with a cable and it just doesn't detect the controller, whichever cable or controller I use.

So I really don't have any idea, the console is "legit", wasn't hacked or anything, I never opened it and when I bought it it was in mint condition, and anyways it worked flawlessly during at least a year. 

Any idea ? Is it a common thing ? Thanks. :) 

Does the wifi work on the super slim? They're both on the same bga chip. If it is dead, you'll have to de-solder the chip, and solder a replacement one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Does the wifi work on the super slim? They're both on the same bga chip. If it is dead, you'll have to de-solder the chip, and solder a replacement one

Good idea, I dunno since I can't move in the menu but now you're saying it yes it doesn't seem to auto connect as it was before. Would it explain the impossibility to connect it with a USB cable ? 

15 minutes ago, SenkiDala said:

Good idea, I dunno since I can't move in the menu but now you're saying it yes it doesn't seem to auto connect as it was before. Would it explain the impossibility to connect it with a USB cable ? 

Only newer DS4 controllers connect to PS4 over USB, old ones can just be charged and paired over it. Is it possible that DS3 just does not connect to PS3 over USB? Do you have any wired controllers or DS4/DS5 to test with? If those work, it's most likely BT chip. You could also try USB keyboard, if you have one. Should be able to navigate the menus and backup your save files. Then try full reset. Can't remember if PS3 allows overwriting system software with same version from USB. If it does, maybe try that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Road2unner said:

Only newer DS4 controllers connect to PS4 over USB, old ones can just be charged and paired over it. Is it possible that DS3 just does not connect to PS3 over USB? Do you have any wired controllers or DS4/DS5 to test with? If those work, it's most likely BT chip. You could also try USB keyboard, if you have one. Should be able to navigate the menus and backup your save files. Then try full reset. Can't remember if PS3 allows overwriting system software with same version from USB. If it does, maybe try that.

Thank you, good idea, I tried with a Dualsense and indeed it works with in (through a USB C cable of course). 

I can confirm that the PS3 refuse to connect through WiFi but I just tried with an ethernet cable and it works fine.

So yeah it seems it is a problem with eh BT/WiFi chip.

13 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

You'll still be able to use a wired controller, even if the bluetooth receiver is dead. BGA repairs tend to be rather expensive, and would cost more than the system is worth.

Well in that case the Dualsense works fine through USB C but not the both DS3 controllers that I tried (with 3 different PS3 cables). :( 

6 hours ago, MrHealthy said:

Have you tried hitting the reset button on the back of the Dualshock 3? It's the small hole to the top right of the sticker, you need a paperclip or something else small and thin to push it.

Also have you tried both USB ports?

Yes I tried the reset button on both od DS3 controllers and I also tried both front USB ports and it didn't work. :( 

Really looks like the BT/WiFi chip is dead.