Frostpunk Help Thread

TheBusToYoker

Going to be using this thread as well to post information if and where I think it's needed to beef up the guide. This is not nit picking, criticising the guide. I'm not personally needing much of a guide for Frostpunk myself. Objectively speaking it's a solid enough in a lot of respects, particularly The Iron Saviour information. Best on the internet from what I've seen. 

But a few additional tweaks and some added information will make it, I believe, the best guide overall on the internet for the console edition.

The Union

It should be clearly stated the trophy description is just a vague outline as to avoid any potential spoilers from scripted events. What the game actually wants you to do for popping this trophy is achieve the "We are equal" ending.

It should also be stated to the reader the ending for the scenario pops upon successfully resolving the Class Conflict objective. And, depending on your choices during the scripted events of Class Conflict, other scripted events during Face The Lords. Will determine what ending you the player shall receive.

So as soon Class Conflict is resolved the player will receive an ending and, if it's "We are equal", the trophy will pop, and the scenario ends.

Knowing all this will also give the player the knowledge when to just turn on overdrive, burn through coal supplies, or anything else they might do.

This information going forward is only applicable if the player has followed the faith path in the purpose tree.

One of the most vital scripts in achieving the equal ending is the Starving Lords. This happens with the first group of lords you let in, and have the objective of attending to their basic needs.

The first event for Starving Lords "Extra Rations" the player should only choose to give the lords 10 extra rations if they have 100 rations to spare should they of course choose the option of giving the lords 10 rations. Shortly after choosing to give the lords 10 rations, the event "People demand equality" will be triggered. Not having 100 rations or just simply refusing their demand will from this point void the trophy.

The single ration choice probably also voids the trophy. So the optimal choice is just to refuse to give the lords any rations during the Extra Rations event.

This will trigger the event "Food theif" shortly after. As the player has followed the faith path, the prison option will not be selectable. Choosing to cut off his hands will also void the trophy I believe. So choose stop them using the Faith Keepers. This may result in injuries.

A short time after that you'll get the "People are disheartened" ending for Extra Rations resulting in hope falling. The player may wish to plan sermons, evening prayers ect around this scripted fall in hope.

After letting the second group of lords in the player will get the "Treat the lords" objective and, very soon after, the "Sick Lords" event will trigger (No they aren't badass lords, or a mental band). You'll have your standard acknowledgement/confirmation....

batman-i-see.gif

The first event for Sick Lords is "Dangerous Rumours. Simply choose to ignore them, and take a rise in discontent.

This will trigger Cowardly Act. Give it your best....

batman-i-see.gif

Now after letting in Lord Craven and the final group, this is where the line between event and objective blurs. Class Conflict essentially is both an objective and an event.

First though you will have "Lord Craven" script. "A lynch mob" is the first event and I believe it's best just to choose stop them. The second and last event is "Unsolicited Advice" and 

batman-i-see.gif

Your first script for Class Conflict is "Quarrel in the Cookhouse" just simply choose the option to send the men in to calm things down.

"A lord's house is ablaze" is next up. Choose find the arsonist.

Soon after the arsonist will be caught giving the player "Arsonist Caught" event. This is why the player needs public penance, so you can get the option of make him repent. Typically this option is available if you haven't passed it, and reciveing an objective to do so in three days. But as the scenario is about to end in less than 3 days, I don't believe this option is given unless public penance has been passed prior to starting Class Conflict.

Now I didn't encounter after doing all this the script "Bad blood rises". I think it might be tied to your overall discontent after a certain amount of time has expired with Class Conflict . Bad blood rises has the events  "Violent robbery", "Women assaulted" and "To the gallows". If any one has any information on how this script and its events effect the ending. Then please post it.

Other things I think players should avoid when going for The Union trophy

Don't explore the Ocean Liner - information that will force you to allow Lord Craven to be lynched. I've not done this myself to confirm how exactly it effects your choice in the event A lynch mob.

Don't explore Red Flag Camp - Just a precautionary measure.

Edited by TheBusToYoker
  • Like 1

The Winterhome Survivor 

I'm back after just leaving the majority of my citizens behind for a trophy. Sorry, not sorry. It's UR bro!

I agree with the guide this is the hardest scenario/trophy, on the console version at least.

In my opinon the guide should be beefed up as to reasons why. Those chiefly being you don't have the same speed as the PC version, and you can't do the no coal exploit thing.

For The Winterhome Survivor I did refer to two videos just to ensure I was doing what I thought were the correct strats. They did help me optimise them for a successful run.

The first is this speedrun video.

I wouldn't even waste your time trying to replicate what this guy is doing exactly. What I do feel this video provides is a good quick and dirty demonstration of what you should be doing to successfully resolve the scenario.

This next video is longer, but is great for for honing your strats with the Restore The City object. The second part I'd say not so much.

As you can see by these two videos, you are never going to get that kind of speed with the console version.

It's not as if you can't achieve a satisfactory level of speed on the console version. Just that you are limited by the platform.

So I'd recommend to compensate you do your tear down of the city incrementally. That being tear down, spend resources, then immediately back on tear down, spend again.

Research I started out with as can be seen in video number 2 with Additional Scouts, then Medical Post Upgrade, Infirmary, Flying Hunters, and then into Improved heaters. (I done this without Faster Gathering).

I would not bother getting soup or additives to avoid deliberately massacring your hope. The scenario is already doing everything it can to massacre it already.

After getting Radical Treatment and Overcrowding I just focused on the Purpose Tree, working my way up the faith tree to the temple. (I never got Faith Keepers)

After I did complete Restore The City, I did just sign the soup law so I can have plenty of excess food rations to send to the dreadnought.

I also built two more steam coal thumpers and surrounded them gathering posts as you need 5000 coal in the console version. I think it should also be noted in the guide you can only send 2500 resources per transport, so only 2500 coal at a time. I just want to leave already!

And also that as soon as the player gets the message about needing the 5000 coal to launch, sod everything else. Just focus on getting that 5000 coal to the dreadnought.

I lied to the people there was another city. I done this in 4 transports I believe,  and only had to deal with one demand from the blackmailer. Send two engineers and two children (I think it's two children). 

Overall once you get the hang of this scenario, it's really not that bad I'd say. It can seem a little overwhelming at first, but practice and patience with tearing down and rebuilding the city will pay off eventually.

Edited by TheBusToYoker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let me add a clever little trick I deployed while doing Arks Survivor today, one that I haven't seen in any of the guides or elsewhere in the handful of spots I looked around the internet for help on:

You're going to reach the point where you'll have to deploy Steam Hubs to keep the arks heated.  You can actually save yourself a whole bunch of coal if you set each of those individual Steam Hubs to only operate on the 14 hour cycle (6:00 - 20:00). So long as the arks are at a sufficient temperature during those 14 hours, it doesn't matter if they drop below that threshhold for the other 10; they'll cool somewhat "overnight" but the timer will refill and restore during the day.

You're probably building your facilities around the arks in the first place, as to be able to heat those with the same Steam Hubs.  Other than any Workshops you're running on an Emergency Shift, or the possibility of a Public House, none of those facilities require heating at night, either -- they won't be occupied.  So it benefits there as well.

This tip would work on lower difficulties as well, but probably isn't as necessary there; it's easier to accumulate and maintain resources on those levels without resorting to little tricks to squeeze every last resource out of the situation.  And by the time you get to the very end of the scenario, you can probably afford to stop running Emergency Shifts because you should have all the necessary technology researched.  Rather than risking your Engineers in Freezing conditions during an Emergency Shift, likely leading to frostbite and amputations and the like.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acasser said:

Let me add a clever little trick I deployed while doing Arks Survivor today, one that I haven't seen in any of the guides or elsewhere in the handful of spots I looked around the internet for help on:

You're going to reach the point where you'll have to deploy Steam Hubs to keep the arks heated.  You can actually save yourself a whole bunch of coal if you set each of those individual Steam Hubs to only operate on the 14 hour cycle (6:00 - 20:00). So long as the arks are at a sufficient temperature during those 14 hours, it doesn't matter if they drop below that threshhold for the other 10; they'll cool somewhat "overnight" but the timer will refill and restore during the day.

You're probably building your facilities around the arks in the first place, as to be able to heat those with the same Steam Hubs.  Other than any Workshops you're running on an Emergency Shift, or the possibility of a Public House, none of those facilities require heating at night, either -- they won't be occupied.  So it benefits there as well.

This tip would work on lower difficulties as well, but probably isn't as necessary there; it's easier to accumulate and maintain resources on those levels without resorting to little tricks to squeeze every last resource out of the situation.  And by the time you get to the very end of the scenario, you can probably afford to stop running Emergency Shifts because you should have all the necessary technology researched.  Rather than risking your Engineers in Freezing conditions during an Emergency Shift, likely leading to frostbite and amputations and the like.

You can actually let 3 of the arks freeze and only have to worry about heating one.

You'll lose a lot of hope, but should be able to eat that, as there is not much else in the scenario scripted to cause losses of hope.

5 hours ago, TheBusToYoker said:

You can actually let 3 of the arks freeze and only have to worry about heating one.

You'll lose a lot of hope, but should be able to eat that, as there is not much else in the scenario scripted to cause losses of hope.

Oh, I know, but part of the fun of the challenge is doing as much as possible.  I managed to save all four arks.  I left New Manchester to rot, and their scout/envoy actually died on me on the way to the Medical Post, but the only other death I ran into was the scripted one from using Emergency Shifts.  And I cut the final deadline to accumulate coal very close, having never researched the third tier of Coal Mining but running two alongside two Coal Kilns (with a supplemental Sawmill required to keep my Wood supply up).

Mind you, I also spent the last third of the game facing down Discontent ultimatum after Discontent ultimatum, but those can be managed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acasser said:

Oh, I know, but part of the fun of the challenge is doing as much as possible.  I managed to save all four arks.  I left New Manchester to rot, and their scout/envoy actually died on me on the way to the Medical Post, but the only other death I ran into was the scripted one from using Emergency Shifts.  And I cut the final deadline to accumulate coal very close, having never researched the third tier of Coal Mining but running two alongside two Coal Kilns (with a supplemental Sawmill required to keep my Wood supply up).

Mind you, I also spent the last third of the game facing down Discontent ultimatum after Discontent ultimatum, but those can be managed.

Yeah after I posted I was like, oops, should have said your post is still very much valid. My bad.

I can understand how even losing a seed ark in this game can have a huge emtional impact on someone. And, because of that, not everyone wants the easiest and dirtiest routes for popping a trophy in the game.

It's just good in general having more than myself contributing to this thread now. So, aye, good to see you! Was halfway to Anne Hathaway Interstellar. That's an in joke I've developed from being on forums with not much activity. Like this one for Frostpunk console edition is, and so many others of its ilk like it on internet.

"TheBusToYoker is out there. Setting up a thread, alone in a strange forum. Maybe, right now, he's settling in for a long nap till it gets active. By the light of our new sun. In our new home"

wQqqxw8.jpeg

Full House

or6gBbo.jpeg

What? Like i wasn't going to make that joke....

This trophy is simpler and shorter than one might think. You probably already know the setup already. Endless, serenity, everything set to easy with random hazards off.

What you probably didn't know though, is after the second storm survivors don't spawn in the Frostland.  I've tested killing off scouts during storms, and it doesn't cause them survivor locations to re-spawn. I didn't however get my population bellow 599, but it would be an extremely inefficient way pop the trophy anyway.

What you do is build the beacon immediately, save before sending your first scout party out, and also build three workshops and research everyone of the scout tecs frist. What do you mean everyone?

gary-oldman-everyone.gif

My assumption is if you're a seasoned Frostpunk player by now if you are going for this trophy. So I don't think it's necessary I hold anyone's hand and give anymore detail than I've provided here in this post.

But should you have any questions, feel free to ask me them.

Edited by TheBusToYoker
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wanna add my own things to this too, having done the game myself now. First of all, JWise's speedruns made all of the survivor mode scenarios very manageable to do, but the raw difficulty and the understanding of the game needed to follow said strategies still keeps the game's difficulty. Also, I personally found The Refugees to be harder as you are forced to send scouts out very early on to find a Randomly located location, which only makes the scenario's beginning down to luck but also reduces resource productivity that you'd otherwise have. Winterhome however, as long as you immediately begin dismantling almost every street and dismantling ruins in the Generator's range, which are then replaced by dozens of bunkhouses, you should be more or less good to go. As for the coal exploit that is unavailable, all I had to switch up from JWise's video was focus a little more on coal production towards the end so I can transport the right amount before temperature decreases too much. 

What actually was the hardest trophy for me though was the Ultramarathon Extreme due to the difficulty seeming even more unforgiving than the original scenarios. I had multiple occasions where people were on comfortable temperatures yet 20 people got sick overnight, which in turn caused a lot of trouble. Not to mention the way the beginning of the endless mode is set out, you need to make enough coal to keep level 2 heat within 2 in-game weeks whilst also having to get scouts out for survivors and building other material gathering buildings. I found it significantly harder than both Winterhome Survivor and The Refugees survivor, and is what pushed the game from an 8.3/10 to an 8.6/10 difficulty for me.

In terms of tips, I don't really have much to add beside what the guides, or others on these forums have already mentioned, but what got me through the game was just following JWise's speedruns, they are very efficient and if you follow them exactly then you should have no problems getting most of the trophies other than having to get good Scouting RNG on The Refugees. Overall a phenomenal game though, I recommend everyone to at least give a try, it's so worth it :)

• 3 months later...

Following his playthroughs is a nigh impossibilty since he's not only on PC and an utter pro at the game, but what he uploads is also nigh perfect runs which will undoubtedly be reflected upon your own when trying to copy him - copying his initial build early on for good enough results is a much better phrasing.

Also very humurous to count the difficulty in decimals.?

Edited by Mellenthin

• 4 weeks later...

On 8/1/2023 at 9:31 PM, Mellenthin said:

Following his playthroughs is a nigh impossibilty since he's not only on PC and an utter pro at the game, but what he uploads is also nigh perfect runs which will undoubtedly be reflected upon your own when trying to copy him 

nah not really, I just put his speedruns onto 0.5x speed, paused my own game when I missed something subtle and just went along like that, worked like a charm. I can see people struggle with his speed though, but if you can keep up then it really helps.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:31 PM, Mellenthin said:

Also very humurous to count the difficulty in decimals.?

Yeah I've started doing this recently as the more hard games I complete, the more I realise a lot of them are easier or harder than others in that respective difficulty, so I can't bring myself to give the same 5-6 games just 8/10 or 9/10 🤣

On 8/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, PunisherXD2006 said:

nah not really, I just put his speedruns onto 0.5x speed, paused my own game when I missed something subtle and just went along like that, worked like a charm. I can see people struggle with his speed though, but if you can keep up then it really helps.

Yeah I've started doing this recently as the more hard games I complete, the more I realise a lot of them are easier or harder than others in that respective difficulty, so I can't bring myself to give the same 5-6 games just 8/10 or 9/10 🤣

All I meant to say was that it’s very unlikely you'll ever get to see as smooth results as he does. Getting through is what matters in the end, trophy wise, and that is indeed not much of an issue.

The difference between an 8 and a 9 is significant, and I definitely see the value of having an additional half point, but 0.3 to 0.6, that's just weird.😉