Magic: The Gathering - Arena

Sicho

During a recent investor presentation, Hasbro CEO Cocks revealed a tentative release date for a console port of Magic: The Gathering - Arena.
 “In 2023, we expect [Arena] to launch on major consoles.”

So it is safe to assume that PS4 & PS5 versions will be coming.

For those who don't know, Magic Arena is a F2P Magic: The Gathering game which is currently available on PC and Mobile.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

I virtually play this every day for at least an hour since its release in 2018 and I'm quite curious what the trophy list for an eventual PlayStation version will look like.

Although it is possible that it will not have a Platinum, I guess.

I really hope they will allow linking existing accounts. Not because I want to auto-pop trophies (which might happen, who knows) but simply because of the card collection and cosmetics.

It is also, IMO, a very fair F2P game. Yes, if you google, there are many people moaning about Arena's economy and how it is apparently too hard to win without paying money, but IMO that can't be further from the truth. There are many paths to enjoy the game without spending a cent and even make a lot of in-game currency without really "grinding" but just by playing Magic matches. So if you are like me and simply enjoy playing Magic, you will play many matches anyway and thus currency will never be an issue.

If you are good at drafting, it's even easier. In a Draft, you are out if you lose three games or get the max prize you win seven. IIRC the entry fee is already recouped after 3 or 4 wins (the more wins, the better the prize, so even if you lose three times you will get a prize based on how many wins you had up until your third loss), if you win seven you make a lot more than you pay for participating, so if you are really good and win constantly, you can go infinite and will never spend any real money.

It has a battle pass though and I don't really like those because of the time constraints. You pay for a pass but if you don't unlock it by date X, you don't get all of it, which IMO is a scummy thing. I mean you paid for it, you should get it all. But I digress, this is a discussion for another time :D

But the pass can also be bought with in-game currency, so it is entirely possible to buy it without spending real money. I owned every pass since they introduced passes in the game and never spent a dime.

Long story short, if you like MTG and haven't played Arena yet, be excited for the console release ;) I'm looking forward to battling you all! :D 

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

Been playing and collecting Magic cards since 1994.

Hopefully this F2P console port wouldn't be as pay-to-win as other MTG iterations, and more casual-friendly. I'd rather see the return of the Duels of the Planeswalkers series, but Arena is a good representation of the physical card game.