I'm banking on them porting this to PS4 like they did with Stranger, I don't wanna play it on the PS3 with all the trophy bugs

Phasmia

52 minutes ago, Vastatia said:

it took them till 2022 to port Stranger's Wrath to the PS4, they gotta be working on Munch right?

Wouldn't it make more sense to port to PS5 at this point? The PS4 port for Stranger's Wrath could have been in the making right about when PS5 launched and covid disruptions could account for the 2022 release of a PS4 port, but surely they'll have a PS5 dev kit if they're still working on porting these titles.

7 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

I may be mistaken, but did I not see that they were already talking about winding down and/or stopping new releases for the PS4, at least that are exclusively for the PS4.

I'm not sure which "they" is being referenced here? I think, announcement or not, Sony "encouragement" or not, it now makes sense for developers to consider PS5 native coding to increase their familiarity and make their code take advantage performance benefits of the newer hardware. There's enough existing PS5 console owners and with Sony saying the PS5 will be much easier to find as of January 5th of this year, it seems like the right move to simplify workloads and get games out the door.

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

I'm not sure which "they" is being referenced here? I think, announcement or not, Sony "encouragement" or not, it now makes sense for developers to consider PS5 native coding to increase their familiarity and make their code take advantage performance benefits of the newer hardware. There's enough existing PS5 console owners and with Sony saying the PS5 will be much easier to find as of January 5th of this year, it seems like the right move to simplify workloads and get games out the door.

It was a generalized "they" because I could not remember where I heard it, or if it was even real.  Just doing my part to potentially spread bad information I guess ...

8 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

It was a generalized "they" because I could not remember where I heard it, or if it was even real.  Just doing my part to potentially spread bad information I guess ...

I just wasn't sure if you were talking about the devs who did the other ports for Oddworld or Sony themselves.

You are correct though: Sony has already said that first party studios will stop making PS4 versions by 2025: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ps4-playstation-games-sony-end/
At that point PS5 and PC releases will be their focus. Third parties will be free to still release PS4 versions though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...