Do I need glasses?

VenlafaxineHead

Hello VR fam!

I got my PSVR 2 on launch day and have been enjoying Horizon, Tetris & Kayak VR... 

Upon first use I noticed that there was some significant blurring when playing Horizon - if I didn't have the headset at a VERY precise location, it felt like I was looking at the world through Vaseline. It was the same experience I had on my Quest - but I just figured Quest looked like that by default. 

I've tried all the tricks/adjustments/sliders/adjusted eye-tracking, centered my pupils, cleaned lenses, etc. etc...and while it appears a little better...everything still seems very out of focus for me. 

I'm almost 45 years old and I've never had any issues with my eyesight...but maybe it's time to get my vision checked?

I'm really just curious as to everyone else's experience thus-far.... is blurriness normal? Should the picture in my headset be as clear as what is projected on my tv screen? Should my VR look significantly clearer than what Quest 2 did? 

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer. 

• Like 1

I would say if you don’t have a problems with your vision outside of VR then it’s probably the VR. I’m not saying that your PSVR2 is defective or anything but if you don’t stay in that clear “sweet spot”, that very PRECISE location, then the image will become out of focus and blurry. I’m constantly adjusting the headset as it jostles a little while playing, especially with the cool new haptic feature. It’s either keep adjusting or tighten it so much to the point of discomfort.

All that said, it’s always a good idea to get your eyes checked anyway. 

Also coming from a VR semi-pro, (original Oculus owner, PSVR1, and Quest 2) I’d say the PSVR2 image isn’t always going to be crystal clear, definitely not as sharp as what’s projected on the TV. I think the PSVR2 visuals are a step above all the other headsets but I still notice a slight screen door effect, especially in dark scenes, which creates a fuzziness to the picture.

Just my thoughts on the matter based on my own experiences. The only PSVR2 games I’ve played so far are Kayak VR, Thumper, and Resident Evil Village.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VenlafaxineHead said:

I'm almost 45 years old and I've never had any issues with my eyesight...but maybe it's time to get my vision checked?

As a fellow gamer in their forties, I would say, just get the eye test anyway. It's a good age to get pretty much everything checked to be honest.

• Like 4

PSVR 1 was my first VR set .   I had the same issue after first getting it .  Blurry graphics etc.  I felt like an idiot when a couple weeks later I discovered that there were thin plastic protective sheets over the inside of the lens still in place from shipping.    I hadn’t removed them .    Not saying that’s what is happening here but it sure caused me issues at first .   

As an older gamer , I have experimented with playing PSVR with both glasses on and off when using the VR headset .  Most of the time for me , I do better without wearing the glasses using VR, even though I wear glasses all the time otherwise .  

Edited by WranglerActual
Typo
  • Like 1

Yes you need glasses, some headsets like the PSVR2 are just fine with glasses but there are some that are terrible like the HP Reverb and Quest 2. Here in Germany there are some opticians that will make you lenses for VR but they are pricey, maybe you could ask around your area.

Edited by SaTn_boatz

I've been putting this thing on pretty tight because I just don't want it to move while I'm playing, to the point it kind of hurts my head after a little while. 

I hadn't even considered that my glasses may scratch the lenses, though. I'll have to give this a try with no glasses and see how it looks. 

Also, I hate earbuds. I don't like sticking shit in my ears in the first place and these keep sliding out, even with the smallest tip, which I'm able to kind of push further in my ear.

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out I have mild/moderate astigmatism - significantly affecting my right eye more than my left. I ordered the prescription lenses from HONS VR for the headset. Very curious to see what kind of difference (if any) they make. I've tried using with my new glasses, but they have wide frames and I'm worried about scratching the lenses, so I decided to go this route. 

I've been able to get some better clarity by making some tweaks here and there over the last few weeks, but I'm still thinking that it could be crisper. Now that 100% of my new gaming has been in VR, I'm trying to get the most out of it. 

• 5 weeks later...

I got the HONSVR prescription lenses a couple weeks ago and they definitely make a difference. Text/distance isn't as blurry, and it's nice to not have to wear glasses when playing. The lenses just pop right on over the regular lenses and they do take a little getting used to as they diminish the space inside the headset. Once you use them a few times you won't even notice them anymore. Overall a good buy. 

• Like 1