This game is stressful

DaTruthAboutCats

I'm a new player and I went to do a refinery mission and I needed to also collect 10 fossils. I made the mistake of doing the main mission first, and then trying to find the rest of the fossils.

Had no idea enemies would spawn progressively worse as time went on. To where I went to call the drop pod(that I assumed would be at the refinery area) it was so far away up a narrow cliff where enemies kept knocking me off. I eventually die and couldn't make it to the pod. Very frustrating but I accepted it was poor planning on my part.

So I tried again. Got 2 of the 3 pipes hooked up. And the 3rd one should have been as well. But the game glitched to where the hose went through the Jack. I literally made a vortex of pipes and it still wouldn't work.

I only played this game because a friend suggested it. And I think besides playing with him I'm not gonna try for the platinum.

PS sorry for my lack of terminology.

Edited by DaTruthAboutCats
Typos and terminology edits
  • Like 1

The Escape Pod has always been a bit dodgy and has a habit of landing in near impossible places but the devs are ware of this issue, though I don't know when it will be fixed. Also, I haven't heard of the non-connecting pipe issue before in an On-Site Refining mission so report it here: https://drg.pleasefix.gg/projects/DEEP-ROCK-GALACTIC

The first 10-20hrs are the hardest for this game, because it takes a while to get to grips with how everything works and to understand its quirks but once it clicks, the game is a blast :). Also note, there is an anniversary event coming in March, along with a new cosmetics pack :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

Were you playing solo? And what class were you playing?

DRG has a bit of a learning curve for sure. Although you can absolutely play by yourself, it is really designed for co-op play because the different classes are designed to use their unique abilities to work together in order to access all areas of the map. Teamwork is the name of this game, and once you figure that out you will thrive!

You will also learn over time that the different classes are better suited to different types of missions. For the refinery missions, the Driller is by far the best class, especially for solo play. Instead of having to find incredibly complex lines to lay your pipes, you can simply drill a straight tunnel from the pod to the drill head, saving tons of time and making it easy to get back there to defend the pipes later. Don’t forget you can actually remove pipes too, so if one glitches like you said, or ends up in a bad position, don’t hesitate to remove it and reposition it.

The Driller also has pretty strong guns for crowd control which makes it a lot easier to fend off those waves of enemies if you’re by yourself. The Scout is also a great class for solo play because of the mobility provided by the grappling hook. If you get a drop pod spawn that is kind of difficult to reach for example, the grappling hook will help you get up there with ease.

As for the enemies, they come in set waves every so often. As you play more you’ll start to recognize the patterns of when they show up and so you’ll have lots of time to prepare. Different missions will require slightly different strategies and you’ll develop these with practice, or by playing with other people online and learning from them. For refinery missions it’s best to get back to the central pump and defend from there until you need to go repair pipes in various directions. Use the pipe skating function to move quickly back and forth across the map.

This is probably too much information to throw at you all at once so I apologize. To simplify things, I would recommend you start off playing on Hazard 1 or Hazard 2 missions (especially solo) so you can learn the basics without struggling with the combat or getting overwhelmed with bigger waves than you can handle. This will allow you to learn all the basics and mission types, but keep the combat easy and the enemy waves very small and manageable. Move the difficulty up from there as you get comfortable, or as you find people to play with.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to play with randoms! I generally hate online games and communities but DRG has one of the most friendly, encouraging communities I’ve ever come across in an online game. I spent 300 hours with this game and it was one of the funnest games I’ve ever played. Give it another shot! ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 4

On 3/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, dieselmanchild said:

Were you playing solo? And what class were you playing?

DRG has a bit of a learning curve for sure. Although you can absolutely play by yourself, it is really designed for co-op play because the different classes are designed to use their unique abilities to work together in order to access all areas of the map. Teamwork is the name of this game, and once you figure that out you will thrive!

You will also learn over time that the different classes are better suited to different types of missions. For the refinery missions, the Driller is by far the best class, especially for solo play. Instead of having to find incredibly complex lines to lay your pipes, you can simply drill a straight tunnel from the pod to the drill head, saving tons of time and making it easy to get back there to defend the pipes later. Don’t forget you can actually remove pipes too, so if one glitches like you said, or ends up in a bad position, don’t hesitate to remove it and reposition it.

The Driller also has pretty strong guns for crowd control which makes it a lot easier to fend off those waves of enemies if you’re by yourself. The Scout is also a great class for solo play because of the mobility provided by the grappling hook. If you get a drop pod spawn that is kind of difficult to reach for example, the grappling hook will help you get up there with ease.

As for the enemies, they come in set waves every so often. As you play more you’ll start to recognize the patterns of when they show up and so you’ll have lots of time to prepare. Different missions will require slightly different strategies and you’ll develop these with practice, or by playing with other people online and learning from them. For refinery missions it’s best to get back to the central pump and defend from there until you need to go repair pipes in various directions. Use the pipe skating function to move quickly back and forth across the map.

This is probably too much information to throw at you all at once so I apologize. To simplify things, I would recommend you start off playing on Hazard 1 or Hazard 2 missions (especially solo) so you can learn the basics without struggling with the combat or getting overwhelmed with bigger waves than you can handle. This will allow you to learn all the basics and mission types, but keep the combat easy and the enemy waves very small and manageable. Move the difficulty up from there as you get comfortable, or as you find people to play with.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to play with randoms! I generally hate online games and communities but DRG has one of the most friendly, encouraging communities I’ve ever come across in an online game. I spent 300 hours with this game and it was one of the funnest games I’ve ever played. Give it another shot! 1f642.png

First off thanks for the detailed feedback. I've taken a break since but I do want to give it another shot!

To answer a few questions. I started on hazard level 1 solo as a gunner. Yes, it took me longer to tunnel through but believe it or not I wanted to learn the hard way just so I can get the mechanics and the overall idea about the game. It went relatively smooth until (in this particular order) finished the refinery mission, tried to look for the remaining fossils I hadn't found, gave up and found drop pod and died lol.

Although it was my error, I didn't think the game would do this. But in between finishing the refinery mission and calling for the drop pod. The game progressively spawned more bugs as time went by. This wasn't the typical repetition of enemies spawning. No, at first it was like that. But it eventually got from manageable to down right overwhelming in the matter of 10 minutes or so. 

I had prepared before hand. I called in extra ammo just in case I needed it. But I got so overwhelmed I couldn't even reload. So I panicked and called the drop pod. And by that time I couldn't even walk 2 steps without getting hit. So, the lesson learned is to look for the fossils as I'm building the pipes. Although I didn't know you could remove pipes. I couldn't find how to do that but didn't really look it up obviously.

But thanks for the encouragement. And warning about the learning curve. I shall try again eventually.

• Like 1

Point Extract and On-Site Refining missions, spawn progressively larger and more frequent swarms as the mission goes on, until you get the big infinite swarm at the very end of them so the longer you're down there, the more enemies you will face and nastier they will get. The Hazard level you play on, also determines just how many swarms you get and how big they are so the higher the Hazard level, the bigger and more dangerous the swarms get.

I strongly recommend looking up some beginners Guides on Youtube so you know how everything works and what builds you should be looking at using :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaTruthAboutCats said:

First off thanks for the detailed feedback. I've taken a break since but I do want to give it another shot!

To answer a few questions. I started on hazard level 1 solo as a gunner. Yes, it took me longer to tunnel through but believe it or not I wanted to learn the hard way just so I can get the mechanics and the overall idea about the game. It went relatively smooth until (in this particular order) finished the refinery mission, tried to look for the remaining fossils I hadn't found, gave up and found drop pod and died lol.

Although it was my error, I didn't think the game would do this. But in between finishing the refinery mission and calling for the drop pod. The game progressively spawned more bugs as time went by. This wasn't the typical repetition of enemies spawning. No, at first it was like that. But it eventually got from manageable to down right overwhelming in the matter of 10 minutes or so. 

I had prepared before hand. I called in extra ammo just in case I needed it. But I got so overwhelmed I couldn't even reload. So I panicked and called the drop pod. And by that time I couldn't even walk 2 steps without getting hit. So, the lesson learned is to look for the fossils as I'm building the pipes. Although I didn't know you could remove pipes. I couldn't find how to do that but didn't really look it up obviously.

But thanks for the encouragement. And warning about the learning curve. I shall try again eventually.

Don’t worry man, you live and learn! Especially in this game. ?

Picking Gunner was probably your first mistake. While it’s a great class for beginners and in many situations, it severely lacks the mobility you need for solo missions and laying pipes for the refinery missions in particular. Learning which classes to use for what situations is all part of the learning experience.

Another thing you will learn over time, if you keep playing, is how to manage your time while on missions, and how to juggle the primary and secondary objectives. With something like fossils, it’s best to always be scanning the room for them and try your best to collect them as you go, rather than rushing around the map to get them all at the end of the mission.

Just take a break and then see if you want to give it another shot, especially if you can play with your friend again, or join some fellow dwarves online. Have fun! ?

• Like 2