PS5 Sequel?

I wonder, how cool would it be if PlayStation Studios worked on a sequel for PS5?

I enjoyed my time with PASBR on both PS3 & VITA, it has room to improve, like having actual video cutscenes, new engine that will improve control of new characters to introduce to the roster including Aloy, Atreus, Astro Bot, Miles Morales, Jin Sakai, etc.

Single player mode similar to Smash Bros Brawl on Wii, where characters would meet up at various stages in the story.

Unlock customisable gear for your fighters through xp and online play.

Any other cool ideas, let me and others know on the topic ??

• Like 1

The main problem is that PS Studios are not fighting game devs. and if you ask me that would be the main reason why they are not working on a sequel.

Of course, they could create a new studio just for this like they did with Superbot in the past. My biggest hope is that one of those 10 GaaS games Sony is working on right now is PASBR 2. We already know they are working on a new Twisted Metal but the key question is who would make Sonys PASBR 2?  just give it to a third party like Capcom or ArsystemWorks I would say.
Anyways, we could speculate all day here but at the end of the day the reality is that there is no team in PS studios capable of making a fighting game right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veinte-justo said:

My biggest hope is that one of those 10 GaaS titles Sony is working on right now is PSASBR2.

Please no, don’t be a live service.

I don’t want a PSASBR sequel to be like MultiVersus, instead it should be like Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, only whatever the given launch price should be well worth it AND without including too many server regions to choose from within its multiplayer mode (two things NASB didn’t do which contributed to the popular opinion which defines that game as another failed Super Smash Bros. competitor, also note character voices weren’t present until the game was featured on PS Plus Essential).

By the way, does anybody else remember how garbage the net code was for matchmaking in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale back when those servers were open?

Funny thing is, those servers are actually still open to this very day. Sony never fully closed the servers, really all they did was prevent all matchmaking functionality, the last time I checked on the game leaderboards we’re still accessible (only no players were shown on the categories going by the current season, obviously), you could transfer game data/progress such as character levels and customisation via 2-way PS3/Vita cross-save (in this game’s case, auto-popping trophies has never been possible) and deleting all your local save data, then connecting to the game’s servers would bring back all your said progress through the aforementioned cloud save (which cannot be disabled).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dry said:

Please no, don’t be a live service.

I don’t want a PSASBR sequel to be like MultiVersus, instead it should be like Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, only whatever the given launch price should be well worth it AND without including too many server regions to choose from within its multiplayer mode (two things NASB didn’t do which contributed to the popular opinion which defines that game as another failed Super Smash Bros. competitor, also note character voices weren’t present until the game was featured on PS Plus Essential).

By the way, does anybody else remember how garbage the net code was for matchmaking in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale back when those servers were open?

Funny thing is, those servers are actually still open to this very day. Sony never fully closed the servers, really all they did was prevent all matchmaking functionality, the last time I checked on the game leaderboards we’re still accessible (only no players were shown on the categories going by the current season, obviously), you could transfer game data/progress such as character levels and customisation via 2-way PS3/Vita cross-save (in this game’s case, auto-popping trophies has never been possible) and deleting all your local save data, then connecting to the game’s servers would bring back all your said progress through the aforementioned cloud save (which cannot be disabled).

While I prefer premium games instead of live services, GaaS is the only way I see Sony working on a sequel. Theres no one else internally to do the job.

MAYBE under Shawn Layden's Era we could have gotten one, but under Jimbo's I really dont see it happening.

I do remeber those servers, one of my fav games in the PS3 era that gave me so much joy and rage with the online. Not to mention that glitch were the game could change the character you selected before the match. To this date I still remember that we almost got Dart and... so many possibilities.

I had no idea that we could still transfer our progress, especially since I got a VITA a few months ago might be a good time to revisit this game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veinte-justo said:

While I prefer premium games instead of live service, GaaS is the only way I see Sony working on a sequel. Theres no one else internally to do the job. MAYBE during Shawn Layden’s era we could have gotten one, but under Jimbo's I really don’t see it happening.

Games as a service has proven itself to be very profitable which is why Ol’ Jimbo would want be a part of that product pool, however it’s also a big gamble. Only a few of these games (on consoles, that is) achieve continued relevance years after their introduction; Apex: Legends, Call Of Duty: Warzone, Destiny 2, Fortnite, you name it.

The rest…

1. Were going great at the start but poor service management and/or dev-to-player communication after the fact caused consumers to be both pessimistic and uncertain on the game’s future (examples include but not limited to Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout, Halo: Infinite and MultiVersus).
  2. Remain open and running but do so without adding anything new of value or altering part of the game to freshen things up, giving players little or no reason to continue playing (therefore the game is not profitable, examples include but not limited to H1Z1: Battle Royale and Rocket Arena).
  3. Close their servers after 2-3 years of operation, maybe even within their first year, the consequence of severe lack of player engagement, overall appeal/interest or just offering a dud gaming experience (examples include but not limited to Babylon’s Fall, Knockout City and Rumbleverse).
Edited by Dry
  • Like 2