Can I play PS1 games on a modded PS2?

Ivotas

Hey guys, I've found conflicting informations online when googling so I was hoping somebody could clarify this. Basically I was wondering if I could play PS1 games on my modded PS2? And if yes, would they also be region free? Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.^^

4 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

Yes you can, but it depends on what mod you have on your console. An hardware mod, will let you play any CD from the ps1, region free. If it's a soft mod, it requires more work with some software on PC. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be honest and say that I don't have a clue what I have actually. I just had a mod chip installed back then, that pretty much let me play PS2 games from all regions as if they were local games. I just have to put in the disc and the game works, no additional tinkering needed. Any idea if we can understand from this whether it is hardware mod or a soft mod?

6 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

I don't have a clue what I have actually. I just had a mod chip installed. Any idea if we can understand from this whether it is hardware mod or a soft mod?

A mod chip is a physical component, so that'd be a hardware mod.

Unless you specifically need to play region locked PS1 games on your PS2, you shouldn't have any troubles since PS2 is backwards compatible with PS1 discs.

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Helyx said:

A mod chip is a physical component, so that'd be a hardware mod.

Cool. Then I got it covered.^^

21 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Unless you specifically need to play region locked PS1 games on your PS2, you shouldn't have any troubles since PS2 is backwards compatible with PS1 discs.

I was considering to expand my collection by a few PS1 titles. And some of them would not be PAL games, which is the region where I'm from. So I was wondering if I could even play those games.

20 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

A mod chip is the hardware modification. If you can play game without doing anything particular, it usually is that. Ps1 games should work just fine, usually, there are exceptions of course. 

Yep, figured that there's always the odd exception. But if it generally works I'm more than happy. Thanks for the feedback both of you.^^