I need advice on how to clean my PS4

HuntingFever

Hello all!

Twice now in the last week, my OG PS4 (the one with touch sensitive power and eject buttons) has given me the "Your PS4 is too Hot so turn it off" error message when playing certain games but I'm clueless about the best way to go about cleaning it out. I've looked up various threads and Youtube videos but there's a lot of conflicting info out there about how to actually go about doing it :(. I've already cleaned the side vents and around the Hard Drive bay (at least the bits I could reach) but that doesn't seem to have helped much. I've also cleaned the surface the console is resting on and ensured the PS4 is as far away from the wall as I can get it. I currently lack the correct screwdriver for the security screws but know where I can get one for fairly cheap.

I'm not the most tech savvy person on the planet so please keep any explanations simple :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.

In all honesty it's only worth doing if you do partial disassembly, new pads, new paste. Clean the fan etc and remove all the detritus whilst you are there. Probably take about an hour first time you do it. Get some 1mm thick pads, tube of something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - and then follow whichever youtube guide has the least annoying voice. Done a few OG's, a slim and a couple of Pro's now. Ends up becoming second nature and the difference once you've done it is staggering. You'll also need a Small Torx (T9, T8 will fit) )Security bit to remove a lot of the screws. It is possible to wedge a small phillips in but not worth it for the handful of coins it costs to buy one off ebay etc.

If you happen to be based SW UK by any chance then I'll happily knock it out for you.

Edited by LessThanLeo
  • Like 1

Probably you have to change thermal paste. If you are not sure how to do it and don't want to screw something I suggest you to find some service in your town who is specialized for PS4 repairs (including celaning). It sould not be expensive.

Edited by Picek
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LessThanLeo said:

In all honesty it's only worth doing if you do partial disassembly, new pads, new paste. Clean the fan etc and remove all the detritus whilst you are there. Probably take about an hour first time you do it. Get some 1mm thick pads, tube of something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - and then follow whichever youtube guide has the least annoying voice. Done a few OG's, a slim and a couple of Pro's now. Ends up becoming second nature and the difference once you've done it is staggering. You'll also need a Small Torx (T9, T8 will fit) )Security bit to remove a lot of the screws. It is possible to wedge a small phillips in but not worth it for the handful of coins it costs to buy one off ebay etc.

If you happen to be based SW UK by any chance then I'll happily knock it out for you.

Unfortunately I'm in North Yorkshire so nowhere near your location :(.

Just now, darthadi said:

not sure if it would help,but i normally around every 6 months blow mine out with compressed air.dont use too much pressure just enough to get the dust out.you will be amazed how full of dust they get.i've done this with ps3 ps4 ps5

How do you do that? Can it be done without dismantling the system?

When I did mine, I followed this youtube vid, which I found very helpful:

(that's for a PS4Pro - but they will have an OG PS4 one too, I'm sure)

Beforehand, you want to purchase a few things - this was what I got:

• Thermal Paste (for on the actual chip):

https://amzn.eu/d/2sIbbFQ

• Thermal Pads:

https://amzn.eu/d/gAqh1R7

• A precision screwdriver set like this one:

https://amzn.eu/d/2vgw2aA

(doesn't need to be as comprehensive as that one, but must at least have a T8 with the internal hole)

• nail scissors (for cutting the thermal pads to size / shape)
  • Makeup Brushes (for dusting)
  • Cotton Buds
  • alcohol wipes
  • Compressed air

• I also HIGHLY recommend getting one of these "old person pill boxes":

https://amzn.eu/d/grJJnNk

...which you can use to put each screw type in as you disassemble it, in order - that way, the process of knowing which screw goes where, (and making sure you put them all back) becomes as simple as working one way along the box, then working back in reverse order.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2