Commander during/after the final mission

shadaik

(SPOILERS for the final quest)

I have left exactly one quest for Lore Master, but there is an issue: To complete that quest (Te Lost Squad), I have to report to the commander. However, the commander is unconscious or dead, unable to take any reports from me. Is there any way to have him available again? Especially because the trophy guide implies so (saying one can use him to sing the missed songs, which likewise is not possible.

I don't have a save from before he got knocked out because I didn't anticipate he wouldn't get back up  for the remainder of the game. A warning would have been nice.

Would be annoying to play through it all again because of one very minor side quest,  though at least I could ignore damage and being spotted in that run.

Edited by shadaik

Huh, that's interesting. I did a lot of research for the guide but if you can confirm there's no way after beating the mission I'll be sure to amend the guide ASAP.
EDIT: Ahhh, I think I know what went wrong. Following the stages in the guide, I advised to do all of the sidequests before completing 'Magpie and the King'. Had you followed that you would have gotten all the trophies..

Edited by Alos88

26 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

EDIT: Ahhh, I think I know what went wrong. Following the stages in the guide, I advised to do all of the sidequests before completing 'Magpie and the King'. Had you followed that you would have gotten all the trophies..

It's not possible to finish "The Lost Squad" before that point because in order to find the third missing guard, you need to access a location that is unlocked during "Magpie and the King".

However, the game behaves very weirdly around the commander now and it might be possible him not waking up and going back to his routine is a bug I ran into. I.e. his guard still lets me into his (empty) room and I can aim a bottle at where his head would be if he was standing.

Hmmm... okay, for reference, are you at the very end of the game? Because the last mission your identity is rumbled and everyone becomes hostile to you. The commander is knocked out, and you're supposed to hurry down to the shoreline to deal with the last threat of the game. There's no way you'd be able to do it after that happens. 
Also, one last thing to try- load your cloud backup save if you have one. It just might be from before the last quest.

Yes, only the final battle was left. The game might hurry me about the coast, but since when do we take quest based games serious when they rush anybody? All my saves are from after opening the chest at the beach, which is the point at which the scene removing most named characters becomes inevitable to trigger.

The guide states Magpie is an important moment because of Gusto and Fatale, who leave after it. That is a good warning to give and appreciated.

The thing is, opening the chest causes another such point in the game with Rolo, Silus, Rezzia, and the Commander becoming unavailable. All quests not involving Gusto and Fatale can still be done up to this point, and some can only be done after Magpie. Those are Lost Squad and the one for Duinlan's armor. Duinlan's armor can be finished even after the hanging (Duinlan is unaffected by the events), only Lost Squad runs a risk of locking players out of finishing it.

There are two changes I'd make:

- Add an info that this happens once the treasure chest at the coast has been opened, so doing everything before that point is important. In my case, I overwrote the old saves while finishing side quests in the dungeons and sewers without entering the courtyard, only to then arrive at the scene removing those NPCs.

-  Also, a note in the "clean-up" phase. Imho it's important to know there is no free roam after you beat the game, just reloading previous save files. This is unusual for open world games.

Anyway, I started a new game. Thankfully, the game gets really short once you know where everything is because getting the grips of the castle layout well enough to ignore the mostly useless maps is the main challenge imho.

Edited by shadaik