Any tips for getting a 5 star offseason in March to October?

xBenlander

Editing this post so that I can give my tips on what I did instead of asking for tips....

I picked the Royals (my favorite team) and played on the easiest difficulty so I could make the playoffs, and we ended up winning the World Series. Now as soon as we got to the offseason and before I made any moves, I backed up my save file to the cloud and turned off auto sync so that if I don't get the 5 star, I can just reload and start at the beginning of the offseason instead of redoing the whole season.

To start the offseason, almost the top 15 guys or so were mostly all pitchers. I had a 29% chance to sign Shohei, but I failed. I then went after maybe two other top starting pitchers but was only able to sign Aaron Nola. Most of the other signee's were filling my positional needs. I just started signing the best player I could at my worst ranked positions. Ultimately I ended up with Nola (SP), Josh Hader (CP), Matt Chapman (3B), Ian Happ (LF), and Jordan Hicks (RP) as my top 5 best picks. My overall ranking was I was 1st in batting, 1ist in pitching, and 3rd in fielding.

I think ultimately what I was doing wrong was trying to sign the top free agents in order of 1 to whatever. So I was trying to sign the top free agent, then the next top free agent, and then the next and so on and so on. And like I said before, most of the top 15 free agents were pitchers and so when I was actually able to sign roughly half of those top 15 guys, I still was only able to get 4.5 stars. So I don't think being able to stack one position with the best players will work. I think you have to sign the best free agents available at the positions you rank the worst in and fill your roster, and not just one position. 

Also as far as getting them to sign, it's all RNG, and I just kept reloading my backup save file from the cloud until I got enough people to actually sign with me. But I will say that I kept each target in the priority box until they were high 50's to low 60's in starting interest. Then I offered max years and salary and most of them had mid 70's to low 80's of interest level when I offered the contract. 

This is just my opinion and how it worked for me, it might work different for someone else. I wanted to put down how I did it because I thought it was frustrating and I thought I was going to have to do a whole other playthrough of March to October with a team that had a chance to sign Shohei, but really I just had to keep reloading my save until RNG worked in my favor. 

Edited by HeyaBen
changing it from asking for tips to putting my tips as to how I got the trophy
  • Like 4

I've read two very different things about this.  One is how I (accidentally) did it - since I didn't research it until after I did it and got 5 stars.  I basically tried for the best team possible.  I did my MtO as the Braves and during the offseason I tried to address the biggest needs (SS and LF) by getting the best players available at those positions, but there was not many good SSs or LFs available so I got the two best at each for not a ton of money.  That left me with a bunch of money leftover, so I just got the best players otherwise and used any leftover cash for whatever. I think I ended up with seven or eight signees. I did NOT end up with Ohtani.  The other way I've heard to do it is do it as a bad team with lots of available money and get as many people as possible at the biggest needs.  I'm not sure how it calculates this but that's what I've heard and how I got it.

• Like 4

I got this trophy accidentally. I've never played MLB or followed the sport before. I played the MTO as the Yankees and won the World Series. When it went to offseason, I wasn't 100% sure what I was suppose to do and I pressed sim by mistake, it skipped so fast, i couldn't stop it. The trophy then popped to my relief.

• Like 4

On 4/10/2023 at 9:48 AM, Rico3k said:

I got this trophy accidentally. I've never played MLB or followed the sport before. I played the MTO as the Yankees and won the World Series. When it went to offseason, I wasn't 100% sure what I was suppose to do and I pressed sim by mistake, it skipped so fast, i couldn't stop it. The trophy then popped to my relief.

I have zero idea how I got it also since I didn't look into the trophy details beforehand. I know I didn't go for Sho but I did basically do as others have said and filled the weakest positions which were ss, lf and cp I believe.

• 1 month later...

It's insane that I got it on my first try, as a baseball lifer, by singing only these players ?

RP-Wandy Peralta

SP-Mike Clevinger

RF-Ben Webb

LF-Thomas Poole

Maybe because a couple were needs, but outside of Clevinger, no one knows those other guys ?

I thought I was cooked as I kept simming, because I ran out of money fast.

Everyone was over 70 rated, which helped, as the guide says.