The most overrated Final Fantasy?

Mattiechuu

FF4 is a bit underappreciated for the time with everything considered. I do find 16 to be the most overrated of the series, never understood all the praise. 16 isn't a bad game, felt empty on so many levels - couldn't connect with the story characters (besides Cid) and gameplay felt shallow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 2:25 AM, Xenoblast91 said:

Incredibly unpopular opinion here but definitely FFXI. The online game previous XIV. The game has been unbelievably awarded as the best MMORPG of all time since PS2 times, and amazingly for me, nobody talks about it. And it is ludicrously overrated. The game mostly unknown in the West but played to sickness in the East is one absolutely the top tiers in this thread. The game, being up for 21 years, is far away from shutdown and many people still play it consistently. Seriously.

Not a bad thing in my opinion, but reading all the comments seems to me that many of you are unaware of the past of gaming and the current state of affairs that affects many of us that take this from another perspective. 

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/final-fantasy-11-not-shutting-down-despite-rumours

Oof, I could not disagree with you more.  FFXI was amazingly good and I still go back to play it now and then.  Incredibly underrated in my opinion. Yeah, it's dated a bit now compared to other MMOs, but it's still a fantastic game.

FFIX is the one I would consider most overrated. That's my least favorite Final Fantasy and I still haven't managed to get myself to play it through to the end. I'm going to have to soon though, as I'm going for the plat in all main and side games in the series.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

Any game that's popular can have the title of "overrated" depending on the person. I never really played an RPG until I saw my friend playing Final Fantasy VI for the first time and was enamored. I ended up saving any money I could in order to purchase a SNES, and FFVI. So it was my introduction to the series. I didn't play FFIV until months or possibly a year after beating VI several times. I initially did not like it and found it boring, but as the years went on I warmed to its charm and realized it was one of the first RPGs to really attempt to incorporate a storyline that had several branches, sacrifices, and betrayals. Like any old movie that you loved as a kid and rewatch as an adult there will be some cheesy, or campy moments. At the time, the ideas were newer and fresh. It was before they had been played to death. I appreciate IV for what it is and do play through it once every few years. If I had to rank the Final Fantasy series in order Final Fantasy IV would be in the middle or bottom, but it's unfair because I've found joy in all of the releases to one level or another.

So I don't find it overrated and enjoy that I can play through it again and gain trophies, lol.