PSA: Multiplayer is still broken, for the most part

This isn't strictly related to any of the trophies, but it's still something you should know in case you're genuinely interested to play this with a friend:

It's been more than 3 years now, but the multiplayer is still broken. 

Me and a friend have been trying to join each other for ages, but each time, we end up getting that infamous "Retrieving host information..." which leads to an error in matchmaking. 

To this day, it's still not sure what causes it. The most likely reason is the editions each of you bought, me personally I bought the Anthology while he's on the base game with all the free DLCs installed, however this shouldn't be an issue at all considering you can change ruleset in your host settings and you can also disable DLCs/expansions manually. 

There's a way to bruteforce the game to work on PC, but on PlayStation platforms there's no such solution. 
Joining another random person's session doesn't work either. Sometimes he can't join, sometimes I can't join, et cetera. It's a very annoying error.

It's a shame that both Aspyr first then Firaxis themselves haven't acknowledged this glitch at all and have never worked on a solution. It's probably even too late now, they've released plenty of patches this whole time but nothing that touched this issue in any possible way.