Am I the only one who thinks this game is way more inferior than its predecessor?

Megahiro10

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy? Amazing.

Jak 2? Dog crap.

Mediocre story , the environment is boring and gray , terrible vehicle controls, repetitive and annoying challenges, the obvious "we are trying to be like GTA" open world gameplay , the "trying to be cool all the time" dialogue and voice acting.

yeah it was a big letdown by Naughty Dog and almost made me quit this series all together , but recently decided to give it another shot and played the lost frontier and really enjoyed it , it was certainly a lot better than jak 2 in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Nah this game brought the series forward. The first one was Mario 64/Spyro clone. You can see the cinematic groundwork being laid down so that Naughty Dog turns into the studio they are today. 

• Like 1

I find it really funny that Jak II and TLOU Part II are extremely contested sequels while Crash Bandicoot 2 and Uncharted 2 got almost universal praise. By this logic, we can expect the second game of the new IP Naughty Dog is working on to be a banger.

Personally, I didn't hate Jak II, however I absolutely disliked the open world traversal and the map layout.

Posted (edited)

Personally, I can only think about one improvement to Jak 2 over Jak & Daxter, and that is the camera controls.

The city is empty, and the vehicles and people are just annoying fill, a boring chore, an obstacle you have to deal with all the time. You can walk slowly from quest to quest and not trigger anything, but that's so slow and boring. I still found myself just doing those slow walks quite often, just tired of all the annoyance that came with even just roll jumping.

The life system is kinda strange. You usually take two HP every hit, you even heal that way....

The gun play is awful. It's just frustrating to control.

Clearly inspired by Spyro, J&D had a book with all the items you had collected and quests you had completed, what was missing, and where. It wasn't just GTA3 that inspired Jak 2, it was their aging fanbase. They thought J&D was too easy, a lot of choices were made on this basis. That's why they took inspiration from GTA3, and why they introduced guns and more action. The problem is just that it didn't work out as better gameplay. Jak 2 not only removed the collectible overview for this reason, but they added easily missable collectibles.

They tried to create some more adult story, but I know exactly what crowd got attracted by it with it's "teenager" topics (people who never really grew up mentally) and lots of strange anthropomorphic creatures... You know the type!

It's no longer the same type of journey and exploration, but rather story driven action, but it's in a package that never was that great and has aged even more.

Edited by MMDE
  • Confused 2