How to float images when writing guides?

Go to solution Solved by JaxTheCyborg,

This is driving me mad

I've tried following the instructions as per the guide, but to no avail. I don't know if you're supposed to downsize the image first before trying to align it, or whether I need to resign myself to chucking it in a table to make it look less clunky overall.

I beg the more experienced guide-writers to bestow upon me their wisdom, please and thank you all 😭😭😭

You're referring to this, right? Just to be sure that we're on the same wavelength?

a7KOIm2.png

If so, then you need to insert an "info box" above the paragraph that you want your floated image to be juxtaposed with. Click on the pilcrow () that's second from the left on the  toolbar when you're editing, and the infoboxes will be at the top of the resulting drop-down. Once one is created, it automatically floats itself on the side you choose. Then just tuck your image of choice inside. No downsizing necessary. :) Just in case the pilcrow is still tricky to find once you return to your guide:

Spoiler

B8fUWyt.png

• Like 1

@TheLastSurvivorD That is a perfect representation of what I'm trying to achieve!

I followed the instructions to a T (I think) and got really excited when the info box popped up on the side. Then I tried inserting the image and for some reason it's... comically huge...

Screenshot 2023-12-21 210801

...Any ideas for what I did wrong here? Formatting is the bane of my existence

Edited by JaxTheCyborg
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JaxTheCyborg said:

Sorry, if the image is that big, then you would need to downsize it prior to putting it in. 😄 The version of the Don Wada that I used was sized down to 180 by 180:

ahyesnewpfp(1).thumb.png.2e9323910b20365667479902e4f7837d.png

If you need a different image downsized after this or in the future, then this website can do the deed complimentarily.

• Solution

YES!!!!!!!!

Screenshot 2023-12-21 213726

THE IMAGE CHONK HAS BEEN CONQUERED!!!! 

i could cry tears of joy 😂😭

To consolidate all the info in one post for future reference:

As per @TheLastSurvivorD's previous post, insert an info box above the paragraph that you want next to the desired floated image. Click on the pilcrow (), which is second from the left on the top toolbar. Left and right info boxes can be found in the dropdown list that follows, and these automatically align themselves on the side when you select one of them.

If images are THICC, then resize them using an online website for free. For the size shown in the above screenshot I used a length of 500 pixels, but you can adjust according to the size you want.

Thank you to the few of you helpful folks who followed my short chronicle of editing nightmares. Sable Guide coming soon! Provided no one beats me to it first....

• Like 1

Yep, float left and float right boxes pretty much take the actual size of the image. You could also click on the smaller image in edit mode and then insert the link to the fullsize image so that when you click on the small image, it opens the big one in a new tab.

10 hours ago, JaxTheCyborg said:

@BlindMango Is there a way to link a full size image without having to use an image hosting site like Imgur or Flickr?

Yep, you just have to upload the full image in edit mode right in the same text box you're currently editing, right click it and copy the image URL, then you can hit backspace and remove the large image from the textbox (it will still be a saved/uploaded image afterwards)

• Like 1