Penance Tips

kels_77

Yes, I'm sorry, I'm back... Well, I made it to Penance, like I said I would and he wrecked my shit SO hard, any tips?  I currently have all the Celestial Weapons, and my mains, (Tidus, Wakka, Auron) equip with armor that has Break HP Limit, Auto-Protect, Ribbon (except Wakka) and Defense +20, any tips would be appreciated I know I could use Yojimbo for a one hit kill, but it feels kind of cheap to do, so yeah. I'm tempted to reload my save before I beat Dark Yojimbo and try to farm a Ribbon/Break HP Limit armor for Wakka, y'all got any ideas? 

Edited by kels_77
Additions

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MyOwnKillingMoon said:

Even with the right stuff the battle takes like half an hour to do so I really really just recommend zanmato. Also swap Auron for rikku, she can mix anything you'd need to protect yourself.

I just really want to try it without it, maybe it's a pride thing, idk. 😂😂😂 I just like being able to say I beat it without a shortcut, you know?

6 hours ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

SO, I used this method from this link, was doing great, got to second phase, he hit Judgement Day and wrecked my shit. 😭😭😭😭😭

Edited by kels_77
  • Like 1

Four syllables:

ZA N MA TO

Just takes a short bit to prepare it, and then I polished it off long before my completed sphere grids.

Edit:

I guess you got your pride or whatever. Have fun with it. 

Edited by Sukwendo

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Sukwendo said:

Four syllables:

ZA N MA TO

Just takes a short bit to prepare it, and then I polished it off long before my completed sphere grids.

Edit:

I guess you got your pride or whatever. Have fun with it. 

I just like being able to say I did it without a shortcut, you know? I'm sure if I really REALLY have to, I'll use it, but for now I'm going to try on my own. :)

Edited by kels_77

I don't know if you've maxed your sphere grid already but the +20 defense is a bit of a waste of a slot especially if you're not using auto-haste on everybody, you can only have a max of 255 on all stats, I'm not sure exactly but defense probably gets pretty close naturally before filling in the empty spheres,

I know it's a grind but I think the armour has to be Ribbon, Auto-protect, auto-haste and the last one can be break HP I guess but I don't think it's completely necessary, since getting a significant difference in HP will cost too many empty spheres, probably more important to make sure you max strength, defense and luck (luck effectively maxes at around 130 I think)

edit: just thought as well, not having to recast haste will save you many turns against penance

edit again: oh the last one on armour has to be auto phoenix! just saves so many turns

Edited by sully917
update info

42 minutes ago, kels_77 said:

I just like being able to say I did it without a shortcut, you know? I'm sure if I really REALLY have to, I'll use it, but for now I'm going to try on my own. :)

At least you didn't unlock it at random wandering the grassy plains, my jaw hit the floor 😆

25 minutes ago, sully917 said:

I don't know if you've maxed your sphere grid already but the +20 defense is a bit of a waste of a slot especially if you're not using auto-haste on everybody, you can only have a max of 255 on all stats, I'm not sure exactly but defense probably gets pretty close naturally before filling in the empty spheres,

I know it's a grind but I think the armour has to be Ribbon, Auto-protect, auto-haste and the last one can be break HP I guess but I don't think it's completely necessary, since getting a significant difference in HP will cost too many empty spheres, probably more important to make sure you max strength, defense and luck (luck effectively maxes at around 130 I think)

edit: just thought as well, not having to recast haste will save you many turns against penance

edit again: oh the last one on armour has to be auto phoenix! just saves so many turns

I had on Auto Haste/Auto Potion/Auto Protect/+20 Defense, and my stats were all maxed out! :) I was going to do Ribbon but it ended up not really being necessary, if you get the arms where they can't attack at all! :D Thank you for the tips! 

20 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

At least you didn't unlock it at random wandering the grassy plains, my jaw hit the floor 😆

Oh my god, I would've been so shocked, but MAYBE a little relieved 😅😅😅

I'm so happy to report that I just took out Penance without using Yojimbo!! Thanks for all the tips! They were incredibly appreciated!!!!!!!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I used Yojimbo. There is a method of getting him to Zanmato reliably through frequent use and paying progressively less, but I didn't bother with that because it takes a lot of using him in battle and I didn't want to take the time.

By the time I went to fight Penance, I had already gotten every trophy except for defeating Yu Yevon and had done every side quest and purchased every item I cared to. I had around 468 million gil and nothing to spend it on. So on the first turn of the Penance battle, I summoned Yojimbo and offered him all my money, and he took it with the nod that indicates he's going to use Zanmato 😃 . No more Penance.

Edited by MvComedy