Can someone please explain gambits to me? I’m beginning to think Risk Taker is bugged.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought a gambit is just doing one of the many tasks listed in the six tiers. Risk Taker is described as “Complete five gambits in one run of No Return”. I assumed this to mean that all I had to do is complete any six gambits from any six tiers at any point in the run.

For some reason, I will complete certain gambits and then not get the completion at the end of the round; and it’s easy shit too, like headshot a grabbed enemy. I really feel like I should have this trophy already. So what am I doing wrong? Is it bugged? Can I only complete one gambit per tier per run?

I would love to hear other people’s experiences with this trophy. I would also love to know what info I seem to be missing. 

Gambits are the challenges where you have to do extra stuff during an encounter to get a reward. You get one per non-boss stage, so for the trophy you have to do an entire run where you fulfil the conditions in each of the five encounters before the boss.

The reason they aren't called challenges is that there's already a feature called that, and that's mainly the character-specific conditions you can only unlock once per save file.

Shouldn't be bugged. The gambit should checkmark as soon as you fulfil the conditions, not at the end of the encounter. You can hold the touch surface to see what the active gambit is. I believe on assault encounters it only appears at the beginning of the second round of the encounter. Just make sure you're following the unlock conditions, so headshotting a grabbed enemy means holding R2 while you have a grabbed enemy, executing them with your sidearm, which is something I had actually never done before, since pressing square to kill them is more ammo-efficient. Might be easy to mistake that as headshotting another enemy while having an enemy grabbed, but that's a different thing.

Edited by IDiivil
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

You get one per non-boss stage, so for the trophy you have to do an entire run where you fulfil the conditions in each of the five encounters before the boss.

This is the bit of info I needed; one per non-boss stage. I guess maybe I wasn’t completing the task properly in the rounds where it didn’t mark as completed. Thank you, my friend!

1 minute ago, ddracarys said:

Powerpyx already has a guide up on this, if it helps. I think it's the only solid guide on No Return's trophies currently, as the mode is still so new.

I did see Powerpyx’s guide, but didn’t think to check it on this lol. Thanks, amigo!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamieHexum said:

This is the bit of info I needed; one per non-boss stage. I guess maybe I wasn’t completing the task properly in the rounds where it didn’t mark as completed. Thank you, my friend!

To be fair, I'm not 100% on boss stages not having gambits, but I never noticed one there. Plus they always reward coins, which would be a bit pointless as you can no longer make purchases at that point.

• Like 1

Once you’ve unlocked Gambits, one will randomly appear in each stage you play. For Assault it will appear in one of the three rounds, for the other modes it’ll appear at the start. Pay attention when it does appear so you know what you need to do. There’s a certain amount of luck involved since some of the tasks are easy (get 1 headshot) while others are more complicated (feed an enemy to a clicker). You may get one you can’t do (or don’t know how to do) but eventually you’ll get 5 in a row that you can do, and the trophy should unlock at the end of the 5th stage right before the boss fight. The main thing is to pay attention so you don’t miss it, and then to make sure you do it before the stage ends.

There is no Gambit in the Boss stage.

• Like 2