How to unlock boards, courses, snowman, and other tips

Dang man, this is really thorough and well-documented. I wish I had this yesterday. I had to dust off my physical copy of the game and read through the manual for some of this info. 

The extra course unlocked for me after I placed gold in each “trick category”, so I think it’s as long as you have 1 medal in any category on each course, it’ll unlock. 

The info about unlocking the snowman will hopefully save future players a ton of time. I spent hours just trying to be the time on the Novice course (and finally did by a fraction of a second with the second fastest starting alpine board), but the snowman made really quick work of the other two courses. 

I used the same all-round board as you and can verify that it is the best for the score challenge. For the 1000 point trick, definitely recommend the first jump on the extra course. If you wind up right after the start of the course, you can land a double misty (off-access rotation/flip) and net over a thousand points easily. 

One thing I ran into, is you can beat the score challenges without fulfilling the requirements for the course. For example, if a course’s score challenge was 6000 points, let’s say I got 4000 in speed and 2000 and trick, but the trick threshold was 2300. The trophy will still pop for fulfilling the score ranking, however you won’t receive a medal in the game itself nor unlock the board associated with that course. The first time this happened to me, I thought my game was glitched until I realized what was happening. I’m not sure if the opposite is also true, where you can unlock a board without enough points to fulfill a score ranking requirement. 

There’s also a different announcer between the PAL/NTSC versions, but your save data doesn’t transfer between the two. 

Edited by skotafactor
  • Like 2

Excellent post, would have loved this before my platinum attempt as nearly went mad trying to unlock the boards (last three trophies I needed to plat) before I finally figured it out.

Only saving grace is that if anyone is struggling, I can confirm that it is possible - if frustrating - to beat all the times without the special boards or the snowman, because muggins here struggled until I did so without access to them!

Scores I found no issue, as you can take your time and it’s just a case of spamming the old misty with a grab.

Nice trip down memory lane!

• Like 1

I noticed that first person mode seems to have slightly different control physics, allowing you to take corners easier and not as strict with pressing square to cut them as it is in 3rd person...

But I can't seem to get the tricks down. The total ranking trophies are a bitch. Rewinding umpteen times to get one jump that you can use is exhausting. Sometimes the mistys are perfect, most times your character center of gravity changes to their head.

But your mini guide has been very helpful in getting me along despite the cited issues which nobody can help with except me.