This game's save system is garbage

I played the whole campaign a few years ago when PS+ made it one of their "free" monthly games and just replayed it on Realistic difficulty and I'm still not sure how the damn save system works. After finishing up Realistic and starting a new playthrough on Veteran to go for the no deaths decoration, I'm getting restarted at the beginning of the game when I resume the campaign after I've played most of the first mission and then chosen "Save and Quit". That makes no sense to me. 

During my Realistic playthrough, I could resume from the last checkpoint of the mission I was on throughout the campaign if I saved and quit. I don't know why I can't do that now when I start a new game on Veteran by starting from the Safehouse mission select on the first mission. I've tried resuming campaign and also seeing if the mission resumes from where I left off by going in via the menu mission select option and the Safehouse mission select option. Nothing works, so I'm unsure how people are using the pause and quit exploit on their Veteran no deaths run if they think they're gonna die. Google and looking at this forum and Playstationtrophies.org haven't made this any clearer to me.  

I wanted to go for the platinum because I enjoy everything else with the campaign so much (although the absurd number of kills required for all the camos wasn't something I was looking forward to doing), but I don't have any more patience to figure out how to do this. The fact you can't reload from a checkpoint after finishing the game and being unable to start a new game without it resetting all your progress seems like a dumb decision, too. 

Edited by drfk168

On 4/17/2024 at 3:32 PM, GUDGER666 said:

For it to save you have to resume story, stupid but that's how it works. 

As mentioned, I did do that and it's not working for some reason.