Assassin's Creed (PS3): is my save file done for?

Hello.

I never played an Assassin's Creed game before, and decided to start from the first one, on the PS3.

To be fair, the performance is pretty bad, and I wish I started on the X360 instead. In any case, I managed to get to Memory Block #5, after just killing the 9th target.

Around that point, the game started acting funny, freezing while loading. There was a point when my character simply froze while walking, and all I could do was to move the camera. I even thought that it was intended and waited for a while, and nothing happened. Then I had to hard reset the system.

After so much freezing (while loading), apparently my character showed up in the Animus with no one else there, and I cannot interact with any object, open any door etc. Is the only way around it to someone else's save file? I already downloaded it. I'm not going to start the game from the scratch, but I'd like to resume with my own save file and progress.

The save file itself can be downloaded here: https://www.4shared.com/s/fn0onsVGLfa

If you do not want to download the save file, which sounds reasonable, the issue can be seen here, towards the end of the video:

At about 2:07:00 you can see the character stuck in his animation. Just great.

Around December, I intend to fix my Xbox One X's HDMI out port to play this game again in 4K and get all achievements, but I really wish I could finish it right now on the PS3, since I already got so far in the game.

All in all, it was a insightful experience to see firsthand how bad it was the optimization on PS3 games in the early years of the system. Ubisoft did not really care at all. The frame-rate is all over the place and screen-tearing is pretty bad.

12 minutes ago, Razzee-P said:

All in all, it was a insightful experience to see firsthand how bad it was the optimization on PS3 games in the early years of the system. Ubisoft did not really care at all. The frame-rate is all over the place and screen-tearing is pretty bad.

It’s very easy to criticize from your position, but it was well known what a completely different and major pain in the ass it was to learn how to program for Cell architecture when it was new (and even now). This isn’t as simple as “they should have just optimized”. For big, multi-platform dev houses like Ubisoft at the time, they had Xbox development which was really just a triple core processor everything could be thrown at, and then PS3 had an 8 core, where every core handles something completely different and differently and the programmer needed to coordinate the interactions. And they had to learn it all on a deadline. 

To your issue, how old is your hard drive? Is it the same original spinning HDD? It’s probably faulty if it is, and likely needs to be replaced. And if it’s the HDD that caused the issue, you won’t be able to recover your save, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, they did not really care. By the point they released Assassin's Creed II and the other games afterwards, which run better on the system, they learned better about how to code, but did they release a new patch with the new experience they had with the game's engine and Cell's architecture? I'm afraid not, since 1.10 (December 2007?) is the only patch available. Even so, the game was pushed for sale again as a Greatest Hits and other editions. The digital version only came out in 2011.

About the HDD, I do not really know, but I was using the Greatest Hits edition of the game, which installs a very minimal amount of data on the HDD (between 1 and 2 GB), unlike the installable version that comes along with Assassin's Creed: Revelations (7.5 GB I think).

If you look up very old threads about the game around 2008, you will find someone mentioning the character being stuck while running. No HDD does this. If the HDD has an issue, the game will stop loading, but not lock the character within an animation.

The save is there, it is not corrupted, but I cannot do anything other than walk around an empty Animus with nothing to click on. There may be some miraculous way to get out of it, but I'm afraid not...

Edited by Razzee-P

It sounds like a bad install or a bad disk to me, have you tried reinstalling the game or exchanging your copy for a new one? If none of that works, your only option will be to start over and make frequent backups in case it happens again :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1