Certain guns for certain classes?

Dreakon139

I was playing this with my brother online today. We're both still pretty new to the game and he was complaining that his Soldier character was barely doing any damage and he was struggling to kill things a lot. Said that the game was popping up 1's when he shot at skags and bandits... pretty weak for any gun, even the starting ones. I had a Soldier as well (I've since made a Berserker character instead though), but I wasn't having that problem.

It's possible he just sucks at first person shooters, wasn't aiming very well and this is the reason he was struggling... but I'm not sure what kind of gun he was using and if it matters. Maybe his Soldier just doesn't like pistols and SMG's.

Anyways, are these problems normal for a low level new player possibly using the wrong guns for his class... or can I just tell him he sucks and needs to get better?

Enemies mirror the host's level. If you were a level ten and he was a five, your enemy spawns were too much for his character. Whenever you play Borderlands co-op, you need to be within one or two levels of your co-op partner(s) in order for all players to be effective at killing enemies.

Enemies mirror the host's level. If you were a level ten and he was a five, your enemy spawns were too much for his character. Whenever you play Borderlands co-op, you need to be within one or two levels of your co-op partner(s) in order for all players to be effective at killing enemies.

Well, we both started playing together with these characters. We were both pretty much the same level (around 8 by the time we stopped playing for the night).

Though while I'm here, I have another question. Is there any convenient way to orchistrate who collects ammo loot? I occasionally find myself accidently picking up ammo for guns that he needs, and he finds himself picking up ammo without really thinking about who really needs it more. Is there some way to make looting a little more logical or do I just need to make sure I use my head before picking stuff up? Is there any way to swap ammo with partners if one person needs it more than another out in the field?

Each of the ammo types have their own look that you'll start to recognize. You'll be able to buy ammo pretty soon too. I'm just not sure when Marcus first opens up his shop. You shouldn't have to wait too long though. Try all the guns you pick up and sell the ones you don't like. Use that money to make sure you keep your ammo stays topped off.

Once you level up more, you'll get more quick change weapon slots. Don't limit yourself to just what your character is supposed to be proficient at. When you have more weapon slots available for quick changing, ammo won't be able that much of an issue anymore. Btw, the more you use a weapon type, the more proficient your character will get with that type of weapon.

One way of dealing with the ammo problem is to max out how much you can carry, go to a green vending machine and fill out your ammo.

When you try to pick up the same type you're full on it won't allow you, now unless both of you are using the same type of gun that should help.

As for your weak guns, some characters are more suited torwards certain types, you can check what they are from their skill trees.

Not saying some characters can only use 2 types of guns, but with a specific type they have a better advantage over other characters.

Off the top of my head I believe it's:

Beserker: Rocket Launchers

Soldier: Combat Rifles

Siren: SMGs

Hunter: Sniper Rifles

Another reason could be an elemental effect, Fire is good against flesh (humans, etc) Shock is good against shields but weak against flesh, Corrosive is great against enemies with armor (skags, crab worms, ect) as for Explosive I'm not quite sure.