the Thor table

skidmarkgn

I'm hesitant to call this thread a "tips" thread because I haven't found a tried and true high scoring technique.

So instead, I'll just outline the main and side missions (minus the final mission as I've yet to complete it) and call this a work in progress.

Starting a main mission:

Pretty simple, spell out URU by hitting the hole in the top center of the table, this can be done with any flipper, including the upper right one. After spelling out URU the.. rainbow... bridge... leading to the castle will be open. Hit the entrance and you'll be able to choose one of the five missions with the shoulder buttons and X button.

The 5 main missions:

The Brothers duel:

This is the easiest of the five. At the start of the mission most of the ramps and orbits will have a light flashing at the base. Five of them flash blue and two are orange, blue represents Thor and Orange is Loki. Your goal is to hit Loki seven times by putting the ball through a lane with a blue light. There is no time limit so try and control the ball and shoot the shots you're most confident in. Failure comes by either losing the ball or shooting the orange lanes seven times.

The destroyer:

When this mission begins you'll notice the dot matrix, aka "score board" will start counting up from 50. If it reaches 100 you lose. Your goal is to get the timer to zero by hitting the bumpers behind the volcanoes, the U-ramp in front of the volcano on the right or the left orbit (the ramp shot and orbit have flashing yellow lights at their base.

The best way to complete this mission is to shoot the right orbit (the one on the immediate right of the green ramp). It's a really easy shot, just shoot the ball off the tip -note, the tip, not the very tip- of the left flipper from the hold position. Hitting that obit will guide the ball into the bumpers. Just repeat as necessary until you win the mission.

Ymir's attack:

This one's not as hard as it may initially seem. Thor will jump across the table and Ymir catches him. To free Thor you have to hit Ymir seven times. The catch is you have to do it before Thor freezes.

The shots you must hit show up randomly in intervals. The successful shots will be highlighted with a flashing light at their base.

The key to this mission is to not feel rushed and wait for the shots you know you can make. Even though there's a time limit, you can increase the time allotted by shooting the ball into the right spinner via the green dragon ramp, doing so will cause Loki to increase Thor's temperature and give you some extra time. Shooting the green ramp is easily done by shooting the ball just before the tip of the left flipper from the hold position.

Ymir rages again:

Before I outline the steps to this mission I would like to let it be known that I HATE this mission with a passion!! It is a perfect storm of bad scenarios, almost every missed shot, and half of the successful ones will shoot the ball right down the middle of the table causing you to fail, the Asgard ramp seems to become IMPOSSIBLE to hit and just to top it off whenever Ymir "attacks" Thor he does it by shooting a blue mist across the table and completely blocks your view for a second or so... seriously, F' this mission and whoever created it.

When this mission begins the green ramp and the center ramp will be blocked by ice. To break the ice you must first set the ball a-flame. This is done by putting it into one of the volcano sinkholes. The easiest way to hit the right volcano is to try and shoot the ball straight up from the hold position with the left flipper, the best way to hit the left volcano is off the very tip of the right flipper from the hold position, go with whichever you feel most confident in. Once the ball is lit you need to break the ice in front of each ramp by hitting it twice within 30 seconds. Once the ice is gone you must shoot each ramp one more time to hit Ymir. The process of igniting the ball, breaking the ice and shooting each ramp must be done three times within the time limit.

The destroyer in Asgard:

This mission seemed impossible to me at first, while it is still difficult, there's a trick that helps a lot. You have to shoot the ball through the lanes that are only accessible with the top left and right flippers, then into the right volcano sinkhole (the correct shots will, as usual, be highlighted with a flashing light). This mission takes a lot of practice to get the timing. The first of the three shots is the ramp that is only accessible via the upper-right flipper. You have a chance to hit this shot right away because the ball starts off by falling from the right orbit and passes directly in front of the upper right flipper. After hitting that shot the next is through the lane that passes under Ymir's area. This shot is only accessible with the upper left flipper (the one right next to the dragons head). The third and final shot is into the right volcano. If you can't hit those three shots in the allotted time the destroyer will hit you, if you can, you'll hit him instead. The first to get three hits wins.

When I mentioned there's a trick I meant it. If you shoot the URU hole it will guide the ball to whichever flipper you need, this makes the mission 100% easier.

The three side missions:

Mjolnir:

super simple mission. There's two targets on the right side of the bale just below the Ymir lane. Hitting one gives you a letter. Spell Mjolnir and you're done.

The realm of Hela/Day of the Dead:

After spelling URU you actually have two options that open up, the first is the rainbow bridge, the second is the realm of Hela. A bit to the left of the rainbow gate you'll see an opening with a green light. If you shoot the ball into this spot (try shooting it when it's about two thirds of the way down of the upper right flipper) three times you'll start a multi-ball mode. Green ghosts will show up in front of pretty much everything, hit one (I think) and you win.

Surtur:

This is the toughest of the three side missions. First you must hit the bumpers (behind the three volcanoes) 25 times, the dot matrix will display the # of hits you're at. After that, the two volcano sink-holes will open up, shoot the ball into one three times and the real fun begins. A three ball multi-ball will begin and you must hit Surtur ten times. Every lane will be flashing and shooting the ball through one will hit him once. The difficulty comes from only being able to lose one ball, if you lose two the mode ends. I actually recommend letting one ball drain because controlling two is far easier than three. Once you get your ten hits you then have to shoot your remaining balls into the URU hole to lock them and complete the mission

Miscellaneous:

Odin's gift:

After dropping the URU target you have access to the "Odin's gift" target. It is a small target that sits in between the entrance to the castle and the ramp that leads to the realm of Hela. If you hit that target the green ramp with start flashing. Shooting the ball up the ramp gets you a random gift, one of which is an extra ball.

The lightning bonus shot:

This is an extremely useful 3-shot combo and I would highly recommend mastering it. when you shoot the ball up the green ramp press X, this will cause the ball to travel half way down the dragon and drop in front of the upper left flipper. Use that flipper to shoot the ball into the Ymir mini orbit (the one that travels right under his cave) and press X again when it enters it, a bolt of lightning will strike the ball and cause it to immediately go up the destroyer ramp. This 3 shot combo can be quite useful during some of the missions.

• Like 1

I personally think this is the most unforgiving table in the vengence and virtue pack and is second only to Iron Man overall. One bit of additional advice, attempt the Ymir rages again mission first. That mission has a 99% failure rate (for me at least) and it can be quite dis-heartning to complete the first four only to fail that one and lose your progress.