Did someone say clusterf*ck?

ille1234

Man vs Machine, a browser-based FPS prototype developed by Swedish developer MuchDifferent, has set a new record for the number of players simultaneously scrapping it out in the same game session.

As reported by

The Escapist, 999 players from around the globe were logged on to the game at the same time over the weekend, smashing Planetside's existing record of 600.

Gamers were split into two teams for the two hour-long session, which was free for most players. Those who wanted to reserve a place ahead of time payed $29.99, which organisers donated to Engineers Without Borders. Check out the YouTube footage below for a glimpse of the game in action.

According to a

blog post from MuchDifferent boss Christian Lönnholm, there was "no lag and great responsiveness" though balancing issues apparently made the contest a lopsided affair.

"It was something of an execution of the Team Machine in the beginning," he wrote.

"After the first half hour, the score was overwhelmingly in favor for Team Man. We did some adjustments to the gameplay balancing but it was not until the end of the two hour session that Team Machine had turned the tides and now the roles were reversed and Team Man was not even able to leave the spawning area.

"Getting a game balanced is hard and our guesswork proved to be quite off the mark. In the end, I think most people had an enjoyable experience of the sheer massiveness of it all and having the game run smoothly helped with that."

MuchDifferent apparently now hopes to refine the tech and make it available to other developers for mainstream use.

That looks insane. All I can imagine is the bragging rights that would come from the highest K/D :D

Honestly, I haven't ever played that game, but it looked like a blast. Extremely hectic, bullets flying everywhere. I would have loved to just run as far as I could with a buddy to see who could get the furthest xD.

I don't understand how they can think this is some kind of multiplayer record. I've been in battles in Eve Online that had way more than 1k players in a single engagement.

Is Eve online an "active" game like this, or does it mainly do Turn based battles/text action battles? That be the major difference I would see between the two, if that was the case.

Is Eve online an "active" game like this, or does it mainly do Turn based battles/text action battles? That be the major difference I would see between the two, if that was the case.

Yes it's active. Realtime space combat. A MMORPG that isn't instanced like WOW. I think they've had 60k players online simultaneously a few times although not all in the same place fighting. You can find a bunch of videos of large-scale fleet fights in YouTube if you're interested.

Yes it's active. Realtime space combat. A MMORPG that isn't instanced like WOW. I think they've had 60k players online simultaneously a few times although not all in the same place fighting. You can find a bunch of videos of large-scale fleet fights in YouTube if you're interested.

I really don't have enough knowledge on Eve Online to try and find a difference, while I'm sure there must be one. Either way, having 1000 players in the same firefight is impressive :)

I really don't have enough knowledge on Eve Online to try and find a difference, while I'm sure there must be one. Either way, having 1000 players in the same firefight is impressive :)

Oh I agree. I think it's cool too. I just don't see how they can claim its record-breaking.