Save data not working if update removed?

Hi guys,

I installed Diablo last night and the update 1.01 this morning after exporting a save. Now when I start it, it says,

"Your save data is from a previous version of Diablo 3, if you continue, it will no longer work if the update is removed"

What does that mean? I can't delete the full (22GB) install? (Its digital btw.)

If I do delete it, will I have to re-update the game again? Will that then mean my progress is lost and have to "restart"?

Thanks

It most likely means, like in many other games, that your save wont work in earlier versions if you play in newest patch. Usually when games adds new items in patches, game save tend to not work in original versions. 

So in your situation. If you delete your game after playing with newest update, you wont be able to access your save unless you download currently newest patch after reinstalling game. 

• Like 1

It most likely means, like in many other games, that your save wont work in earlier versions if you play in newest patch. Usually when games adds new items in patches, game save tend to not work in original versions. 

So in your situation. If you delete your game after playing with newest update, you wont be able to access your save unless you download currently newest patch after reinstalling game. 

Thank you. Much appreciated :)

My characters were in my main menu but I chose not to continue as I saw that where it wanted to continue from was not the beginning of the game I chose new game and was able to use my level 60 character I'm going to level up all 6 characters to 69 then make a backup for when I get the ps4 version then I can use those characters for the ps4 version without having to level up

• 1 month later...

Oh this one bugged me for a second and I decided to check it out online just to be sure. It's pretty clear message anyway saying you can't use your save data with an older version of the game anymore. It was pretty fun to read all the conversation around the internet about how people can't play online anymore because of the fear of losing save data.

Well, after all no harm was done.