need help with PS3 issue...

hunglikeamuppet

hey guys.

so i finally figured out why this damn site was not letting me access - I had to agree to new PSN terms on the official website and magically, that did the trick.

anyway, i would like to get some of you PS3 savvy dudes to remedy a situation for me.

i moved from the UK to Austin late last December, and brought my UK/PAL PS3 with me.

I was able to get a normal US kettle lead, and oila!, the bugger worked and i can use my PS3 fine.

HOWEVER - I immediately realized that despite logging in from a US IP address, I do not have access to Netflix - boo!

And, to add insult to injury, despite being able to see the link to the BBC iPlayer use the ITV iplayer, I cannot now access those to stream shows etc, because the PS3 is not physically logging on from the UK.

Dagnamit.

Do any of you wiseguys know of anything I can do to allow me to avail of Netflix now that I am back home in the US?

OR, will the PAL hardware be the critical issue - which means that by default I am forced to buy a new US NTSC PS3? I hope I don't have to because this PS3 works fine, and really very under-used, as my profile will attest to.

I really don't want to have to ditch it and replace it with a new console. It would be such a shame, and I'd have to uninstall the 500gig drive i replaced the original 120gig slim's drive with, and re-swap.

I hope you guys know a straightforward, painless way to remedy my ps3 situation.

Any thoughts, fellas?

Thanks in advance.

now, this is complete guesswork, but I'm gonna say it's the program/firmware. I'm going to fall back on my normal answer and say call Sony (1-800-345-SONY) and ask. 1 solution that might fix it would be forcing an update to the firmware. Using your new US address/connection you may get NA programming instead of PAL.

hey psx, thanks for the reply, bud.

I just wanted to confirm that right after starting my thread, i actually did ring sony. and they confirmed that the issue is hardware-related. the UK PAL region ps3 is coded for its own region 2 services for streaming and other "thingys", so that my only real option if i wanted to subscribe to Netflix thru the ps3 console or access any other similar US type of services, that I would have to go out and buy a US PS3.

i don't think i am going to do that because my ps3 slim works fine - gaming is not at all a problem. but i realize that you can subscribe to netflix via the TV - a smart TV i take it - and so would rather spend the money on a better TV than a so-so TV and a new PS3 console.

my own problem solved.

but thanks for giving my ps3 problem a thought, ol' bud.

good night, and good luck.

Well, I always say that hearing it from the horse's mouth is the only best policy. Kinda kills the thought of arguement or debate in one blunt *squish*. I kinda figured that all the hardware would be the same for all regions but the firmware would be the region locker. Guess Sony went old skool when I was thinking progressive.

Anyway, glad ya figured it all out.. :)