What to do next?

Sir_Bee

Exotic and raid gear gives you 30 light. You need 120 light to reach level 30.

Creating 2 extra characters and doing a public event with them will net you atleast 2 extra items a day. You will most likely get ascendant mats but you can also get a strange coin or a mote of light. Your first gold tiered public event of the day will get you that reward in the mail, and theres's a small chance you will get a reward right after completing the event and if you're really lucky you can get 2 of the same mat or 1 of each! I have had 2 of the same once and I have seen people getting 1 of each several times.

Keep track of www.destinypublicevents.com/ and try to stick to the Earth, those are the most common ones (Look for the green icons, like the ones in Skywatch, The Divide and Forgotten Shore)

When you have reached rep rank 3 with the Vanguard and the Crucible choose one of the other 3 factions and stick with them. The reason is, both PvP and PvE bounties will increase your rep with Dead Orbit, New Monarchy or Future War Cult as long as you're wearing their faction gear (that is a cloak, mark or bond depending on which class you are) Also all the crucible rep and strike rep you gain after finishing a match or strike and even doing a patrol mission will all go towards the faction you picked. Meaning you will rank up twice as fast with them and you will gain 1-2 free legendary items everytime you rank up starting at rank 3!

This is very good advice. Start your two other characters asap. It'll take about and hour to an hour and a half to get where you can do patrols on earth and start doing public events. The Divide is the best spot bar none. There's a devil walker that spawns there at 15 and 45 past the hour (+/- 3-5 minutes). Asmats are very important and you need to start farming them as soon as you can because it'll pay off in the long run. Try to mix in bounties or material farming (or both if possible) while you're waiting for a public to spawn. I do this every day and I also try to get the level 28 daily with each character to max out my asmats per day.

Destiny Public Event Timer

As for factions, they only take crucible marks as currency. Only level them up if you plan on playing a lot of crucble. Otherwise, stick to leveling up you vanguard. You'll be able to buy weapons once you reach level 3 and you'll receive a legendary package each time you level up the vanguard or faction. The package turns to blues more often than not, but it's still worth a try.

Onto your OP. You're stuck in limbo unfortunately. Don't expect legendary drops. They're exceedingly rare (especially at you level). Don't rely on luck for your near future leveling. Buy an exotic piece of armor from Xur (preferably helmet) and keep earning Vanguard marks to buy the rest of the armor and weapons you need. It'll take a lot of time, but it's a sure thing as opposed to the RNG.

I'd also advise that you save your shards for exotic and raid armor. I was able to get to level 27 this way. Unfortunately, at this point, it's totally luck based as you can go through the raid multiple times and never receive anything but asmats. The hard raid is the only way to get the raid helmet and the reason I said to get the exotic for that spot.

Edited by Rowdi
  • Like 1

This is very good advice. Start your two other characters asap. It'll take about and hour to an hour and a half to get where you can do patrols on earth and start doing public events. The Divide is the best spot bar none. There's a devil walker that spawns there at 15 and 45 past the hour (+/- 3-5 minutes). Asmats are very important and you need to start farming them as soon as you can because it'll pay off in the long run. Try to mix in bounties or material farming (or both if possible) while you're waiting for a public to spawn. I do this every day and I also try to get the level 28 daily with each character to max out my asmats per day.

As for factions, they only take crucible marks as currency. Only level them up if you plan on playing a lot of crucble. Otherwise, stick to leveling up you vanguard. You'll be able to buy weapons once you reach level 3 and you'll receive a legendary package each time you level up the vanguard or faction. The package turns to blues more often than not, but it's still worth a try.

Onto your OP. You're stuck in limbo unfortunately. Don't expect legendary drops. They're exceedingly rare (especially at you level). Don't rely on luck for your near future leveling. Buy an exotic piece of armor from Xur (preferably helmet) and keep earning Vanguard marks to buy the rest of the armor and weapons you need. It'll take a lot of time, but it's a sure thing as opposed to the RNG.

I'd also advise that you save your shards for exotic and raid armor. I was able to get to level 27 this way. Unfortunately, at this point, it's totally luck based as you can go through the raid multiple times and never receive anything but asmats. The hard raid is the only way to get the raid helmet and the reason I said to get the exotic for that spot.

Excellent tips there! 

The reason I said to level up the other factions is because they gain from both PvP and PvE rep and thus leveling up much faster. And you still get free 1-2 legendaries every time. I'm not saying you should buy from them, they don't have a lot to offer. After you have reached rank 3 with the Vanguard and Crucible it's not necessary to rank them up further, you can still buy from them when you are wearing a faction class item.

Thank you for all the advice, I may start other characters today.  As for my main character, I had a huge amount of luck over the weekend.  I am currently lvl 26, have all legendary gear except for a helmet (just a lvl 20 blue), and my gauntlets are even from the raid.  Also, I got a legendary gun and rocket launcher from the raid as well, and I have an exotic machine gun from a bounty.  So I think that I got EXTREMELY lucky, and am in pretty good shape :).  I am going to level all my gear until I need shards or energy, but save them to just level the raid gloves and exotic gun for now.