What to do next?

Sir_Bee

I am a level 22 Titan.  I have been running the daily mission, and the strike playlists up to lvl 22.  I am just curious what I should be doing next?  Any gear I find now is just a minor improvement, I have no legendaries or exotics.  Where would be the best place to get one so I can get into the highest content?  Do I just grind out my vanguard rank to start getting legendary stuff in the mail after rank 3?  Do I have to get vanguard marks to buy some legendaries (that will take a few weeks).

I am looking for some advice on how to proceed in the best way possible.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Raids are a good way to get better gear. And you get shards and guns from them too. Raid gear has the most light on it ^.^ but i think the raid is 25 or 26 so best to buy a few things from the vanguard until you're high enough to do the raid. It doesn't have matchmaking on it though so would have to be people on your friends list that you do it with. Also the weekly heroic and nightfall strike can give you a chance at getting weapons/gear thought sometimes you do just get materials :) but again no matchmaking xD

Edited by gangsterponyx

Thanks for the info :)

Is there any way to chat in game with people to try and recruit a group?  It seems that the mmo style of this game is very poorly done.  At least in FF there was a chat board you could send messages to people to try and recruit people for dungeon runs.

Nope there isn't any chat on destiny sadly, hopefully one day they will actually add a matchmaking so everyone can do the raids/weekly/nightfall, you could always try messaging people who are in town and see if they can help with things and by messaging i mean as in through Psn ^.^

Edited by gangsterponyx

This problem alone is really making it difficult for me to want to press on with this game ...  I don't have any real world friends who have this game.  There are some people on my friends list with the game, but they are all way ahead of me, and I feel bad asking for help.  So I am stuck in a place where I don't know what to do, and don't know how to proceed.  I am missing out on a large chunk of content because of this.

You play it on the PS4? i can give a hand at some point if you like, i have a friend i always play with so he would be happy to help too :) I don't have any around your level though, i have a 28, 29 and a 26, but we don't mind if you would like some help with it ^.^ 

I am on the PS4.  I just don't want to feel like a burden.  I am a decent player, and could probably even participate slightly above my level.  If you really are alright with helping out, I would not complain about the assistance and would be more than happy to return the favor once I get to higher levels.

My PSN is Sir_Bee (like my name here) and I will be around for much of the weekend if you happen to have the time :)

Course not, you aren't a burden! xD

Right now the only thing i do on destiny is raid and doing the nightfalls and weekly so be good to do something else for a change xD you could even join us when we raid we you get high enough ^.^ we have 3 other people we raid with reguarly so you dont have to worry about not ever being able to do the raid xD

Course not, you aren't a burden! xD

Right now the only thing i do on destiny is raid and doing the nightfalls and weekly so be good to do something else for a change xD you could even join us when we raid we you get high enough ^.^ we have 3 other people we raid with reguarly so you dont have to worry about not ever being able to do the raid xD

That is awesome and I greatly appreciate it.  I will find a way to return the favor :).  I am not even sure what content I should run lol.

PS. Don't worry about hurting my feelings by saying you want to run something higher without me.  I would gladly accept any help you offer, as little or as much as you want.

PPS.  I also have a mic, if that makes any difference to you at all.

This site is popular for finding people for groups:  http://destinytracker.com/destiny/lfg

Thanks for the link for this site.  I am sure that it will come in handy in the future :)

I've lost my ps4 mic atm xD comes in handy on the raid though.

And you get more exp from higher level so you could just join anyway and hang back xD so that's always a option if i am doing higher level things xD levels your gear easily :P well, that and ofc bounties.

What are OFC bounties?  And the gear that I have is pretty much maxed out on xp, just haven't fully upgraded because it felt like a waste of materials.  I am willing to run anything that you guys want to run, just be warned that I will not be much help in stuff that is too high a level.

One of the best things about this is game that I've found is the willingness of others to help. It would be much easier with proximity chat, but I've encountered total strangers in the open world that I'll play with for 15-20 minutes and move on. 

OP - if you need any help at all, feel free to add me and send me a message. I have a 29 warlock, 29 titan, and 28 hunter.

I would advise you to do the Daily every day for materials, and find a public event at least once a day. Once you get to around 26, do the daily at 28 with someone and start working on Weekly/Nightfall. All of these will earn you vanguard marks to get you started on equipping with legendary. If you have some Motes of Light and/or Strange Coins, visit Xur on the weekend for a piece of exotic armor. Do strike playlist at level 24 is a quick way to build up your vanguard rep, earn vanguard marks, and have a chance at getting some legendaries. 

One of the best things about this is game that I've found is the willingness of others to help. It would be much easier with proximity chat, but I've encountered total strangers in the open world that I'll play with for 15-20 minutes and move on. 

OP - if you need any help at all, feel free to add me and send me a message. I have a 29 warlock, 29 titan, and 28 hunter.

I would advise you to do the Daily every day for materials, and find a public event at least once a day. Once you get to around 26, do the daily at 28 with someone and start working on Weekly/Nightfall. All of these will earn you vanguard marks to get you started on equipping with legendary. If you have some Motes of Light and/or Strange Coins, visit Xur on the weekend for a piece of exotic armor. Do strike playlist at level 24 is a quick way to build up your vanguard rep, earn vanguard marks, and have a chance at getting some legendaries. 

Thanks for this advice.  I do the daily story, and I have been finding a public event every day I have gone on.  I am worried about trying the lvl 24 strike playlist because I am still only lvl 22 and don't want to frustrate people.  I have been doing all the PvE bounties to raise my vanguard rep too.  I have some motes and coins, but I don't think I have enough.  I have not been playing long enough to have seen his stock yet, so I will check out this weekend.

I will send you a friend request when I get home later tonight.  I appreciate your generosity.

The best way I found to level up is:

Do the strike list that you are able to do at your level to gain vanguard rep.  Make sure you do at least one public event a day (for ascendant materials/vanguard marks) and do the daily story mission to your level (these are easier and you can often complete them above your current level).  Once you reach Vanguard rank 2, you can buy legendary armor and can get your level up to 27/28 with these alone.  At this point you can start doing raids and more difficult strikes with rewards of even better gear/weapons.  Xur also comes to the tower every weekend and you can trade in your strange coins and motes of light for exotic weapons and gear.  Take advantage of this and get some great stuff!

The bungie.net website and mobile companion is a great way to look for people to do the strikes and raids with.  There are always people who are looking to join, form or round out a part for raids at both levels.  If you are going to do the raid, I would make sure you have a mic as communication is key and often a requirement from people who are forming groups.  You can create a party chat with your group for quick and effective communication.

If I am not mistaken, blue armor is very common as a drop and with these, you should be able to get your light level around 24/25 so make sure you are on the hunt for those as well.

Good Luck

The best way I found to level up is:

Do the strike list that you are able to do at your level to gain vanguard rep.  Make sure you do at least one public event a day (for ascendant materials/vanguard marks) and do the daily story mission to your level (these are easier and you can often complete them above your current level).  Once you reach Vanguard rank 2, you can buy legendary armor and can get your level up to 27/28 with these alone.  At this point you can start doing raids and more difficult strikes with rewards of even better gear/weapons.  Xur also comes to the tower every weekend and you can trade in your strange coins and motes of light for exotic weapons and gear.  Take advantage of this and get some great stuff!

The bungie.net website and mobile companion is a great way to look for people to do the strikes and raids with.  There are always people who are looking to join, form or round out a part for raids at both levels.  If you are going to do the raid, I would make sure you have a mic as communication is key and often a requirement from people who are forming groups.  You can create a party chat with your group for quick and effective communication.

If I am not mistaken, blue armor is very common as a drop and with these, you should be able to get your light level around 24/25 so make sure you are on the hunt for those as well.

Good Luck

Thanks for this info.  I have all blue gear currently and am sitting at only barely 22.  There are a few more upgrades I can put on them, but I did not think it would provide enough of a light boost to get me to 24, so I was holding off until I got something better that would be worth the materials.  Am I mistaken about that?  How much light does gear gain when you upgrade them?  I wish it told you a max light, like it tells you a max defense or attack.

Lvl 20 blue gear fully upgraded will give you 15 light per piece. That makes a total of 60 light with all 4 pieces and that brings to level 24 and a half.

You can't reach 25 without legendary or exotic gear. With only 'normal' legendary gear you can get to 28 and be 1 light away from 29. With 1 piece of exotic or raid gear (legendary) you can get to 29 and you need either 4 pieces of raid gear or 1 exotic and 3 pieces of raid gear. I believe the helmet raid gear only drops on the hard mode of the raid so try to aim for a exotic helmet (or a chest, it gives you more defense)

You can do the hard raid at level 29 but you will have a damage reduction.

Normal legendary gear will always be level 20 and when fully upgrades gives you 27 light per piece.

Exotic and raid gear gives you 30 light. You need 120 light to reach level 30.

Creating 2 extra characters and doing a public event with them will net you atleast 2 extra items a day. You will most likely get ascendant mats but you can also get a strange coin or a mote of light. Your first gold tiered public event of the day will get you that reward in the mail, and theres's a small chance you will get a reward right after completing the event and if you're really lucky you can get 2 of the same mat or 1 of each! I have had 2 of the same once and I have seen people getting 1 of each several times.

Keep track of destinypublicevents.com/ and try to stick to the Earth, those are the most common ones (Look for the green icons, like the ones in Skywatch, The Divide and Forgotten Shore)

When you have reached rep rank 3 with the Vanguard and the Crucible choose one of the other 3 factions and stick with them. The reason is, both PvP and PvE bounties will increase your rep with Dead Orbit, New Monarchy or Future War Cult as long as you're wearing their faction gear (that is a cloak, mark or bond depending on which class you are) Also all the crucible rep and strike rep you gain after finishing a match or strike and even doing a patrol mission will all go towards the faction you picked. Meaning you will rank up twice as fast with them and you will gain 1-2 free legendary items everytime you rank up starting at rank 3!

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by MrCostari
  • Like 1

Lvl 20 blue gear fully upgraded will give you 15 light per piece. That makes a total of 60 light with all 4 pieces and that brings to level 24 and a half.

You can't reach 25 without legendary or exotic gear. With only 'normal' legendary gear you can get to 28 and be 1 light away from 29. With 1 piece of exotic or raid gear (legendary) you can get to 29 and you need either 4 pieces of raid gear or 1 exotic and 3 pieces of raid gear. I believe the helmet raid gear only drops on the hard mode of the raid so try to aim for a exotic helmet (or a chest, it gives you more defense)

You can do the hard raid at level 29 but you will have a damage reduction.

Normal legendary gear will always be level 20 and when fully upgrades gives you 27 light per piece.

Exotic and raid gear gives you 30 light. You need 120 light to reach level 30.

Creating 2 extra characters and doing a public event with them will net you atleast 2 extra items a day. You will most likely get ascendant mats but you can also get a strange coin or a mote of light. Your first gold tiered public event of the day will get you that reward in the mail, and theres's a small chance you will get a reward right after completing the event and if you're really lucky you can get 2 of the same mat or 1 of each! I have had 2 of the same once and I have seen people getting 1 of each several times.

Keep track of www.destinypublicevents.com/ and try to stick to the Earth, those are the most common ones (Look for the green icons, like the ones in Skywatch, The Divide and Forgotten Shore)

When you have reached rep rank 3 with the Vanguard and the Crucible choose one of the other 3 factions and stick with them. The reason is, both PvP and PvE bounties will increase your rep with Dead Orbit, New Monarchy or Future War Cult as long as you're wearing their faction gear (that is a cloak, mark or bond depending on which class you are) Also all the crucible rep and strike rep you gain after finishing a match or strike and even doing a patrol mission will all go towards the faction you picked. Meaning you will rank up twice as fast with them and you will gain 1-2 free legendary items everytime you rank up starting at rank 3!

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for the thorough explanation.  I am not sure I have any lvl 20 blue gear, and I had read somewhere that blue gears light is randomized?

Thank you for the thorough explanation.  I am not sure I have any lvl 20 blue gear, and I had read somewhere that blue gears light is randomized?

The item will say +2 or +18 I think when you hover over it.  He means the +18 (or whatever number it is higher than 2 though).  Legendary and exotic will always be a higher base (and higher max obviously) then blues.

I understand that aspect, that it tells us the base of each gear, but he also said that all lvl 20 blue items have 15 light per piece.  I was saying that I don't think I have any lvl 20 blue items, because my blue items have far less than 15 light.

Some lvl 20 blue gear will start at 13 light, while another one may start at 14 light. But blue gear can't go any higher than 15 light when you upgrade it.

Also, exotic gear starts at 21 light.