Can't seem to upgrade skills fast enough for the story missions!

LoneSola

Maybe I spent too many points elsewhere? All I know was I got stuck in the cellar for one of the missions because my lock-picking skill wasn't high enough and I have no points to upgrade it so I had to find another way out (which equalled running around the mansion like an idiot). Another time I was trapped in the maze garden with Elise and couldn't unlock the door to get us out so I jumped over and she had to find another way... 

I'm sure I'll figure out at some point how to get more points in order to upgrade my skills (especially lock-picking), but really? To get stuck in a mission because of it? The game will take me forever to complete at this rate.

Am I playing it wrong? Should I be going reeeaaallly sloooowlyyy through this game? I spend plenty of time on side quests and other missions (probably more than the actual storyline). I've been upgrading and all that, just didn't know that I should pretty much solely be upgrading lock-picking at the start... anyone else having these kinds of issues?

I know of both scenarios you are talking about, and both are just locked doors to bypass enemies. Lock picking is entirely optional, I recommend you upgrade it, but it's not required for anything.

Well... It is required for the Platinum, so I grabbed them pretty early, since it was more useful than most of the other skills. But there's no point where you absolutely need them to progress in a mission.