Atlus announces Etrian Odyssey V and Mystery Dungeon x Etrian Odyssey

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/11/24/atlus-announces-etrian-odyssey-v-and-mystery-dungeon-x-etrian-odyssey/

EtrianOdysseyV-600x334.png

Do you like Etrian Odyssey? If so, I have good news for you! The not-so-hot selling franchise, Etrian Odyssey will not only get a new entry to the franchise but also have a new cross-over game with Mystery Dungeon.

Mystery Dugeon x Etrian Odyssey is basically going to be a Mystery Dungeon style game withEtrian Odyssey characters (some older Mystery Dugeon cameos will be included). The music will be done by legendary video game music composer Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage series, Revenge of Shinobi) and the art  direction will be handled by Nizo Yamaoto (Princess Mononoke). This game is slated to be released in Japan next March.

As for Etrian Odyssey V, it was announced along with a list of people working on the game. This includes director Shigeo Komori, character designer Yuji Himukai, veteran composer Yuzo Koshiro, and monster desginer Shin Nagasawa.

To see the teaser trailers  for both Etrian Odyssey V and Mystery Dungeon x Etrian Odyssey hit the jump.

Etrian Odyssey V:

Mystery Dungeon x Etrian Odyssey:

More Etrian is always good.  I should really get back to the 3DS EO1 remake.  I thought the map touch part was actually implemented well, unlike stuff like the gyroscope and touch controls in battle.  There is a special place in hell for touch controls in battle and gyroscope controls  :shakefist:

• Like 2

I've only played the demo for Etrian Odyssey IV but I thought it was pretty good for a dungeon crawler and I hope I could get a cheap physical copy eventually. Not much info on Etrian Odyssey V as the trailer is in Japanese text, so looks like a gameplay trailer would be needed to clarify a bit more. The first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was alright and it looks like the crossover would use mechanics from the Mystery Dungeon series, which is a shame to not see the map creation mechanic from Etrian Oddyssey IV in the game.

medium.jpg

It looks complicated

Just recently Atlus revealed a couple of exciting projects, including an Etrian Odyssey and Mystery Dungeon mash-up being developed exclusively for 3DS by its own team and Spike Chunsoft — the Etrian Odyssey series is well known in the West, though Mystery Dungeon has had a patchier record with localisation. Thankfully Atlus is keen to change that, confirming that the game will come to the West asEtrian Mystery Dungeon and will arrive in North America during Spring 2015 for $39.99.

Described as a "turn-based action RPG roguelike" — a description that'll surely get some 3DS owners hot and bothered — this will have Etrian Odyssey's RPG touches with the party and class system, but with a world full of Mystery Dungeon-style randomly generated areas. The pre-press release blurb goes into detail, while also being more entertaining than the actual press release.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon... blends the world of Etrian Odyssey and Mystery Dungeon. So what does that mean?

Well, for one: a metric buttload of customization. Etrian Odyssey's character leveling system drives the party mechanics in EMD, and the infinitely random nature of Mystery Dungeon means tons of loot and equipment to further customize.

Second, it means there's a metric buttload of exploration. The dungeons are all created at random, populated with monsters, traps, loot, and more. Going back to the small nearby village of Aslarga to sell, heal/gear up, and sometimes form rescue party will be a well-worn trip for players.

Third, the traditional first-person view of Etrian Odyssey is exchanged for a fixed perspective where you control a group of up to four characters. In typical roguelike fashion, every step matters, making combat an intricate and ever-changing challenge.

No release window has been given for Europe as yet, though in recent times Atlus has been consistent in supporting the region, albeit often taking a little longer to complete localisation.

Are any of you already planning to pick this one up? Let us know, while below is the Japanese trailer that was released with the initial reveal.

EtrianMysteryDungeonLogo.jpg

little over a week ago I posted that Etrian Odyssey x Mystery Dungeon game was announced and just like that Atlus has confirmed it is publishing it in America. Not only that, the game will be coming to America in Spring of 2015. You see, us SEGA fans are used to waiting up to a year after the game comes out in Japan before we even hear if its going to come to America and even then we best hope for the best.

Atlus is so ahead of the curb that there is already English translated screenshots and there hasn’t been ANY screenshots in Japanese released for the game. Atlus can you please publish Shining ResonancePhantasy Star Nova and Yakuza 5? I mean, its even been over two years since SEGA announced Phantasy Star Online 2 was coming to America.

Check out the screenshots, game description after the break.

EtrianMysteryDungeon7-150x150.jpg
EtrianMysteryDungeon6-150x150.jpg
EtrianMysteryDungeon5-150x150.jpg
EtrianMysteryDungeon4-150x150.jpg
EtrianMysteryDungeon3-150x150.jpg
EtrianMysteryDungeon2-150x150.jpg
EtrianMysteryDungeon1-150x150.jpg
Game Features:

“Infinite Dungeons to Explore – Etrian Mystery Dungeon incorporates the random map feature, which changes the floor terrain each time a player enters the dungeon. This core mechanic, inherited from the Mystery Dungeon series, challenges the players with a new maze and stronger monsters every time, offering them unlimited replayability!

Attention to Detail – The Etrian Odyssey tradition of party customization is in full effect for Etrian Mystery Dungeon. After the first journey as a Landsknecht, players can freely choose their party of 4 from up to 10 different class types. While each class has a unique skill set of its own, characters can also unlock new skills through skill trees

Not Your Grandfather’s Combat – The unique perspective in Etrian Mystery Dungeon means that special care will have to be given when selecting party members and upgrading their abilities. With dungeons chock full of enemies and all the loot and money collected at stake, being 100 percent certain in your party’s abilities is crucial for making it out alive.”

Game Description:

“Far off in the mountains, the small village Aslarga becomes a hub for adventurers looking for fame and fortune from the Mystery Dungeons. But dire challenges await even the most stalwart adventurers in Etrian Mystery Dungeon, a turn-based action RPG roguelike developed by ATLUS and Spike Chunsoft. The Nintendo 3DS™ exclusive mixes Etrian Odyssey’s vast RPG party and skill customization aspects, and Mystery Dungeon’s infinitely random dungeon adventures. There’s no hand-holding in Etrian Mystery Dungeon. The action/turn based combat means that battling monsters is not just about using the right skills, but becomes an elegant Pas de Quatre of strategic positioning. Players form their parties with familiar Etrian Odyssey classes, such as Landsknecht and Runemaster, customize individuals using Etrian-style skill trees, and then take up to four members into the dungeons. Always randomized with various levels and paths, the dungeons require plenty of exploration, not to mention the incredible loot rewards — just be wary of what waits among the deepest depths.”

Color me excited, though I am awfully curious about what Sega localizations Atlus will be doing.

Atlus can you please publish Shining Resonance, Phantasy Star Nova and Yakuza 5?

Edited by Lady Lilith
  • Like 3

I'm down for more EO with EOV I just recently got into the franchise so I'm sort of a newb but I really enjoy my time with EOIV, EOxMD looks like some sort of old school top down roguelike definitely gonna keep my eye on these titles, thanks for the heads up Lilith!