Psycho Pass - Should I Keep Watching?

RisingSenpai616

I'm currently 7 episodes into Psycho Pass. It's good, but I'm having trouble really getting into it. It's weird because the reason I picked up the show at all is because of how much I love Urobuchi and yet my main problem with the show is that it's all just a little too Urobuchi. It feels like nobody can so much as fart without someone else commenting on how it reminds them of the writings of Nietzsche or Kierkegaard and the tragedy of the human condition. It's like everybody read the exact same airport store handbook of philosophy one night and just couldn't wait to tell everyone about it the following morning... and the morning after that and so on. My other problem is the excessive violence. Not because I'm squeamish but rather a lot of it just doesn't make much sense.

"Oh, there's a criminal who we all strongly believe is connected to a larger case and they're both desperate and

(in one particular instance literally)

unarmed. Should we interrogate them to further the investigation? Nah, too practical. Let's just shoot them with a laser gun that causes them to violently explode instead."

It's moments like those that are really just kind of holding me at an arm's length in terms of how much I like the show. I want to like it more. I love the setting, the premise, the characters... but it just feels like Urobuchi's throwing subtlety to the wind in favour of the tropes that have made his other works famous. I loved Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero (bar that awful first episode which suffered from the exact same problems) and even Song of Saya that other one nobody likes to talk about but this one feels just a little too self indulgent.

Can anyone tell me if I should keep watching or not? I want to see it through to the end but if it's not going to appeal to me I'd rather spend the time on other shows I've been meaning to get around to.

Edited by RisingSenpai616

Hmm. I enjoyed it a lot. I agree, it's a slow burn at the beginning, but it will pick up once the main characters start to learn a bit more about the city they live in, and once the main villain becomes more active. I can't remember exactly how much you'll have seen by ep.7, so I'm trying not to spoil anything.

But it stays just as violent throughout. One enemy in particular... ho-boy is that person twisted...

• Like 1

Hmm. I enjoyed it a lot. I agree, it's a slow burn at the beginning, but it will pick up once the main characters start to learn a bit more about the city they live in, and once the main villain becomes more active. I can't remember exactly how much you'll have seen by ep.7, so I'm trying not to spoil anything.

But it stays just as violent throughout. One enemy in particular... ho-boy is that person twisted...

That's good to hear. I really like the idea of there being bit more interaction between the cast and the actual world around them rather than just ruminations about different European philosophers. One of the things I like about Urobuchi is his way of getting across themes through striking, though often extremely violent or depressing, scenes and imagery. Thus it feels kind of redundant to have a scene where someone spends four minutes verbally explaining the failings of absolute utilitarianism in a dystopian setting when you could have spent the time just showing more of that exact thing instead.

I actually don't mind the violence so long as it doesn't end up leaving plot holes. Twisted villains are a guilty pleasure of mine.  :lol:

Edited by RisingSenpai616

A lot of great shows are slow to begin with.

My rule is at least get the show half done before I decide on dropping it forever or continuing. That way you actually give it time to show its true colours.

I don't mind it being slow. I'd actually rather the show take its time and world build rather than rush the plot too much. It's just that I find a lot of the dialogue feels stilted - especially the over abundant philosophical monologues. Fair point with the half way thing though. I'll give is a few more episodes before making up my mind. I guess I'm just too used to falling head over heels in love with Urobuchi's other stuff right from the beginning that I'm giving this one a harder time.

• Like 1

I don't mind it being slow. I'd actually rather the show take its time and world build rather than rush the plot too much. It's just that I find a lot of the dialogue feels stilted - especially the over abundant philosophical monologues. Fair point with the half way thing though. I'll give is a few more episodes before making up my mind. I guess I'm just too used to falling head over heels in love with Urobuchi's other stuff right from the beginning that I'm giving this one a harder time.

Give it a few more eps incase the show turns around for the better, for you. If not; then eh.. Some shows just aren't for some people, not all shows can always be a winner.  At least you tried!

• 8 years later...