Linux Help~

Raccoon_0

Since the forum section has no description that we can't post other things than games here I decided to go ahead and pop the question here if it supposed to be a different section sorry.

Right... I am doing my final year of Computer Science, I am allowed to get help so this isn't against the rules I just can't get help from the teacher. I have been looking for this solution but couldn't find it.

Bassicly I need to go to the Bin directory but it is a hidden file how can I find it? I am in the section that it should be in but the normal ls command doesn't show it :P I am only allowed to use the Terminal so no I can't simply go in the computer. After that does anyone know how to create a list file (I know how to do that part) but command it to be saved somewhere else then the Bin file while having the list contents of Bin?

I am using Linux Mint from a USB stick...

This is the command to view all the files in the directory, even those which are hidden (in *nix systems hidden filename starts with point) 

ls -al <folder>

And this is for saving a listing

ls -al <folder> > <file>

In both cases you could use any style of path. For example:

~/file.txt # ~ is alias of current user's home folder, so basically it is equal to /home/username/file.txt
/home/username/file.txt # it is the same as previous, but with full path written
../file.txt # two points and slash is alias of upper level, so if now you're in /bin, ../file.txt equals /file.txt
./file.txt # one point and slash is alias of current folder, so it's not necessary to write it in this case
file.txt # simply create file in current folder
Edited by mokrinsky
  • Like 1