Toejam and Earl games coming to PSN and XBLa as Sega Vintage Collection games

Lady Lilith

Article

toejam-and-earl1.jpg

Jammin'! Two of the Sega Genesis' strangest titles and characters are being prepped for another re-release for a whole new generation of gamers.

Greg Johnson, one of the creators of ToeJam and Earl with Mark Voorsanger, confirmed a report fromSilicon Era to Side Mission that Sega is planning to re-release the original ToeJam and Earl and the sequel ToeJam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron as part of a new Sega Vintage Collection. Both games have previously been re-released on the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console.

Johnson said by email after being contacted through the ToeJam and Earl Productions' website that Sega is planning releases for XBLA, PSN and "probably on Steam as well." He said he doesn't know when fans can expect to see ToeJam and Earl's return noting "that's totally out of my control."

Johnson, who now runs a new company called HumaNature Studios, said he knows the fans have been anxiously awaiting the team's return.

"I’m looking forward to it too," Johnson said. "I get lots of fan mail from people waiting so I hope they do it soon."

As for a whole new adventure for ToeJam and Earl, Johnson said the thought is still very much in the forefront of his and Voorsanger's minds. Of course, such a project would need funding and Johnson said if they can't secure a publisher, they could turn to Kickstarter for help.

"That ball is still in my and Mark’s court," he said, "and that’s a matter of having the bandwidth to do it, and the money to do it."

He's also currently working on another project that he said he couldn't talk about yet. However, he noted that some fans might recognize a couple of characters in it who are scheduled to make a cameo appearance and he hopes that won't be their last appearance on gamers' screens.

"Right now I’m involved with a new game project that I’m just getting off the ground," Johnson said. "TJ&E will make a little cameo in this new game but it’s not a TJ&E game. I’m hoping to do this as my next game after this one. Fingers crossed."

I remember passing over these games back when they were released (along with Earthworm Jim, which struck me as a similar goofy looking game), but maybe now I'll get to try them out for real.

Edited by gamerm1337
  • Like 1

Fuck yes! The Toejam and Earl games are not only some of my favorite games on the Genesis, I'd consider them to be some of the greatest games of all time. Of course the Xbox game was terrible, but the Genesis releases are absolutely fantastic and if PS+ members don't get these games free I'm buying them on day one.

Plus the music is so awesome and funky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTIrdlRs--Q

Parker

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.examiner.com/article/toejam-earl-achievements-signal-new-sega-vintage-collection-for-xbl-and-psn

1345826945_6526_toejam.jpg

Generally when you see achievements pop up on the web for a game, there's a good chance that game is on it's way. Sure there are some instances where we get achievement lists and the game doesn't come out ("R.B.I. Baseball") but typically we always get the game.

Thanks to Xbox360Acheivements, we've got the listing for the Genesis game "ToeJam & Earl", with the tag being Sega Vintage Collection. The last three collections released on the Xbox Live Arcade and PSN hit in May, so the time is right to push another collection out.

There's no word on if this collection will just have "ToeJam & Earl" games on it. There are plenty of 'ToeJam & Earl" games to make up a collection, but we wouldn't be shocked if they included just the first game and some other hits from the vault.

Sega has yet to officially announce the collection, but as is typical with these types of leaks, we expect to hear something within the next few days. Both collections should be hitting the Playstation Network and Xbox Live Marketplace, neither will be getting a full retail release.

Those of you looking to go back down memory lane with some Genesis classics won't have to wait long now.

Achievements now, wonder how long till we see this.

• 1 month later...

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/10/10/toejam-earl-funking-xbla-and-psn-this-november/

8074245952_b6458d9093_b-600x337.jpeg

While we knew this for a while, SEGA has finally officially announced both Genesis/Mega Drive ToeJam & Earl titles for XBLA and PSN. ToeJam & Earl and ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron will be released separately on PSN on November 6th for $4.99 each, and will be packaged together as the SEGA Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl for 800 MSP starting November 7th on XBLA. After the break, a second screen! Yeah, we only have two at the moment, but as soon as we get more we’ll share them.

8074246086_1e592295ee_b-600x337.jpeg

November. I wonder if we'll get Plus discounts, or even get them free (the former is more likely)

• 2 weeks later...