Is this a fun game?

Wavergray

This game looks pretty fun for a roguelike stealth game, but I noticed most of the trophies are ultra rare and the few reviews I've seen are mixed.

Is there some huge flaw in it's gameplay that makes it un-fun and unnecessarily hard or is it just like all the other roguelike games where it takes time and patience to get good at the game?

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question, yes this game is fun. Most of the trophies should be pretty easy to obtain besides Spring-Heeled Jack. Now if you can do a cloud save trick of some kind it could be pretty easy as well.

The controls are a little loose, but once you get the first few character upgrades they feel fine. If you like stealth games and games like Spelunky you may enjoy playing this.

Here is 30 minutes gameplay I recorded just in case you want to see what the game looks like.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

No, I don't think the game is fun for the most part, especially if you are going for all the trophies ...
The rare instances where it ist fun comes from reaching the end of a level succesfully without having bugs, lags or the game crashing on you. Best case, you got 100% cash and ghosted the level. You feel like a king or as if you've destroyed a boss in Bloodborne.

For the rest...
The controls are very imprecise for the most part in a game wich relies heavily on being stealthy in movement and jumps. The jump button doesn't always register ingame and it gets worse with double or triple jumps.

And then there is the problem with invisible spikes: In later levels there could be spikes all over the place and sometimes it is more safe to bomb them away (because of the unreliable jumps). BUT: Just because the spikes aren't visible anymore after you destroyed them, doesn't mean they won't kill you ... especially if the ground underneath the spikes still exists. Infuriating!

For me, it was only possible to reach 100% after learning all the rules of the game AND how the bugs and glitches work.

There is also that glitch which comes from the game only loading and showing you the part of the level in which you are and is visible on screen:
You might jump in a room with a high ceiling only to realize in this moment, that there is camera above you ... which in worst case detects you in this jump. And the camera and the enemies only move when they are visible on screen. Otherwise they are frozen in time ... so sometimes the enemies will glitch behind doors or windows or even walls. 

The games also runs like shit on Vita because the framerate will go down to 10-15 frames a second in levels with many enemies or friendly bots following you. The load times for a level are about 30 seconds on Vita.

And the last thing: The trophy 1138 is really stupid because it's completely random. I had each of the levels 1136, 1139 and 1132 multiple times before getting to 1138 once.

Edited by eXeViuS
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Well, I can tell you the 'By George!' trophy isn't fun whatsoever. It took me over 2000 heists to get the 1138 address and it's just an awful grind based on pure luck. I also think the trophy doesn't fit the game at all. On the other hand, the rest of the trophies were fun and I enjoyed the game overall.

I have to say, I simply love this game. It is very simple in its mechanic, but very challenging when it comes to successfully finishing it. I love that kind of games, and this was everything I wished for, when I started it! Nice graphics is also a big plus. But as everyone before, I have to admit that By George achievement is frustriating.