Street Fighter 4 and 5 compared! (Game-play included)

FlareXV

So Digital Foundry recently did an experiment to see what was different between SF4 (the old) and SF5 (the new) and to see if the real changes in both games.

Here's a quote from the article:

We've produced hundreds of platform comparisons over the last nine years, but few that concentrate exclusively on the differences between one franchise entry and its shinier, more modern successor. With the arrival of Street Fighter 5, we thought we'd have a little fun - we decided to use our dual-system control set-up (a system we first used here) to play versus mode Street Fighter 4 and its sequel simultaneously. In effect, it would be an actual live Face-Off - the edited highlights of which you can watch in the video below.

Here's the video: 

My personal opinion? I think SF5 game-play is far better and is more inviting than 4. Graphic wise, I think both games have the same quality to them but SF5 lighting is clearly better. 

What game do you think is better? 

Source:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-lets-play-street-fighter-4-and-street-fighter-5-simultaneously

I think SFV is definitely faster paced and more accessible, while still retaining the feel of Street Fighter. However, I'm not sure if it being so accessible is such a good thing or not, because the game seems to lack depth because of it. Which could easily bring people to lose interest quickly. If the game doesn't evolve, people definitely won't be playing it for as long as SFIV was. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

If the game doesn't evolve, people definitely won't be playing it for as long as SFIV was. We'll just have to wait and see.

That's one of the main reasons why I think Capcom are chatting BS on the "One disc to rule all" policy. I can only see the game-play changing like how USF4 did compared to SF4 with financial backing from Sony. The free updates won't hurt Capcom but for major expansions, they will be looking to Sony for help. 

Edited by FlareXV

The video itself lacks frame links between punches, kicks, etc. for combos. Plus super-ultra cancels, signature move connections from strong, medium, weak punches, etc.

Many people have said that SSFIV was more difficult to master due to frames between them. As someone who cleared all trials, I agree as I still couldn't fully master the fighting mechanics xD. They were way too difficult compared to the likes of UMVC3 (for me).

Back to the vid, I know that it was meant to be mostly a general comparison, but it should have shown the frame stuff and the cancels at least. It's one of the key parts for getting adept at the game after all. Regarding graphics, you can definitely tell the difference between one and the other. SFV looks much more defined than IV, while also maybe putting a slightly different drawing style that still fits.

The video itself lacks frame links between punches, kicks, etc. for combos. Plus super-ultra cancels, signature move connections from strong, medium, weak punches, etc.

Many people have said that SSFIV was more difficult to master due to frames between them. As someone who cleared all trials, I agree as I still couldn't fully master the fighting mechanics xD. They were way too difficult compared to the likes of UMVC3 (for me).

Back to the vid, I know that it was meant to be mostly a general comparison, but it should have shown the frame stuff and the cancels at least. It's one of the key parts for getting adept at the game after all. Regarding graphics, you can definitely tell the difference between one and the other. SFV looks much more defined than IV, while also maybe putting a slightly different drawing style that still fits.

Well, in reference to the links, they intentionally made it easier in SFV. There are no more 1 frame links. The hardest ones are 3 frames, which is a bit of a joke. It's made it so pretty much anyone maximize damage with little practice put in. In just a couple of hours, I was already doing 30%-50% combos consistently with a character I'd never used before. Which is pretty unheard of in a Street Fighter game. To get that kind of damage output, I had to put in weeks of practice in SFIV.

That's one of the main reasons why I think Capcom are chatting BS on the "One disc to rule all" policy. I can only see the game-play changing like how USF4 did compared to SF4 with financial backing from Sony. The free updates won't hurt Capcom but for major expansions, they will be looking to Sony for help. 

They're banking on people being lazy to make money, like in games like LoL. Sure, you CAN earn everything in-game, but it's much quicker to just spend money. Honestly, I'm betting that they'll be making a ridiculous amount of money. Way more than if they'd just released a Super/Ultra version. Given that the game stabilizes and takes off.

• Like 2