AWF9495's Platinum Wasteland

awf9495

header-awf.jpg

Welcome to My Wasteland:
"Panning for platinum in irradiated water"

The full moon was as blinding as it was beautiful. It was my first view of the sky and the first time I felt dirt beneath my boots. The sense of freedom was both exhilarating and terrifying, and I fought to choke down these overwhelming emotions as I let my eyes adjust to the outside world. I was startled by the sudden noise of the door to Vault 94 grinding to a close behind me. There was no turning back now, so I checked my supplies and set off for the twinkling lights that must be civilization.

Counting on the hour being too late for nocturnal predators to be looking for their nightly meal and too early for those that hunt in the light to be on the prowl, I set off at a brisk pace with my gaze darting toward anything that moved, from a rolling tumbleweed to a scrap of ruined fabric gently flapping in the night breeze. Seasoned wastelanders would call my journey uneventful, but the few hours I spent traveling were anything but for one that was born and raised in the concrete confines of an underground shelter. I marveled at the ruined vista of a vast metropolis, the husks of vehicles devastated from a nuclear blast, and the splendor of the rising sun.

By mid-morning, I had reached my destination. Crudely drawn letters on a hunk of something metal declared that I had arrived in Megaton. The town was bustling with activity, and a curt nod was the only gesture of acceptance among the wary glaces and distrusting stares. Soon, I arrived in front of what looked like a storefront. If Vault 94 was going to survive much longer, I had to procure food and medicine. I pulled out my pack and opened the container full of precious metals that I hoped to trade for supplies. Among the sea of bronze and silver was a bit of gold and a singular flash of platinum. I explained our situation to the store owner and tried to confidently display what I had to trade, despite not feeling very confident at all. The middle-aged woman rifled through the metal with little enthusiasm, though I did see a glint of excitement when she spied the platinum. She explained that what I had would buy a week or two worth of supplies and that if I expected to trade for anything of substance, I should seek out more platinum.

A couple of weeks wasn't going to save Vault 94, so I used the pittance we had scrounged from broken down machinery to buy what I would need to survive in the wasteland. That was about 16 months ago. While I've accumulated a modest amount of platinum and managed to deliver enough supplies to keep the inhabitants of vault 94 alive, like war, the hunt for platinum never changes.

#1 - The Walking Dead - PS3 - 12/9/2012

"Scavenged from a Mr. Fixit in Vault 94"

1L0be58c.png

#2 - Ys: Memories of Celceta - Vita - 1/13/2015

"Edited Wasteland Survival for Dummies by Moira Brown"

1L5f9f9b.png

#3 - South Park: The Stick of Truth - PS3 - 2/18/2015

"The prize at the bottom of a box of Sugar Bombs"

1L1bda41.png

#4 - Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4 - 4/27/2015

"Won a pickled Trog egg eating contest at Moriarty's Saloon"

1Ld62e93.png

#5 - Dragon Age: Inquisition - PS4 - 8/9/2015

"Spit-shined Sheriff Simm's boots"

1L8a3cbe.png

#6 - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Vita - 8/9/2015

"Stayed awake for a Children of the Atom sermon"

1Lcc3f89.png

#7 - Transistor - PS4 - 8/16/2015

"Won in a bet from drinking the water under the undetonated nuke in the center of town"

1L9829fa.png

#8 - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - Vita - 10/1/2015

"Knocked off of the nuke when I stood up and hit my head after winning aforementioned bet"

1Lafc179.png

#9 - Grim Fandango Remastered - Vita - 10/12/2015

"Slipped and fell on a pile of Yao Guai dung running like hell after the bomb started ticking. Stuck to the bottom of my boot"

1L12c265.png

#10 - Tales from the Borderlands - PS4 - 10/20/2015

"Fell into a hatch in the top of a concrete bunker after slipping. This pierced my backside."

1L2ee2ae.png

#11 - Minecraft - Vita - 10/29/2015

"Book marker in a magazine I perused as I waited for the fallout to dissipate where Megaton used to be"

1Lc96de7.png

#12 - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - PS4 - 10/29/2015

"RIP Deputy Weld"

1L676377.png

#13 - Persona 4 Golden - Vita - 11/3/2015

"Lodged in the barrel of a shotgun a raider tried to shoot me with"

1L03861e.png

#14 - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - PS4 - 11/3/2015

"In a grocery store cash register. Shot SMART, shot Super-duper MART"

1L7f7c31.png

#15 - The Order: 1886 - PS4 - 11/8/2015

"Tested a home-brew bomb for a traveling merchant"

1L8b7a48.png

#16 - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - Vita - 11/12/2015

"Found in the third stomach of the merchant's brahmin after bomb test went awry"

1Ldbda23.png

#17 - Life Is Strange - PS4 - 11/13/2015

"Sold some of my blood to The Family"

1L0be58c.png

#18 - Broken Age - Vita - 11/20/2015

"Vance's earring - Apparently radiation from drinking water plus infection from various injuries creates a toxic blood cocktail"

1Laf72a5.png

#19 - Game of Thrones - PS4 - 11/24/2015

"Dave bought my vote"

1La054a2.png

#20 - Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - 11/29/2015

"Judged a cosplay competition at Canterbury Commons"

1L39f9d4.png

#21 - Bastion - Vita - 12/17/2015

"Selected myself the winner of said competition - nobody can match the awesomeness of Lucky Guy!"

1Lc16581.png

#22 - Amnesia: Memories - Vita - 1/5/2016

"Scavenged from one of the Mechanist's minions caught in the crossfire when my fellow competitors disagreed with my unbiased opinion"

1L6429b9.png

#23 - The Wolf Among Us - Vita - 1/14/2016

"Stepped on a land mine and dared not move my foot. Spotted under a rock on day 2"

1L749a29.png

#24 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PS4 - 1/24/2016

"Land mine was a dud used as storage for treasure"

1L109344.png

#25 - Murdered: Soul Suspect - PS4 - 2/6/2016

"Fake tooth of super mutant that came to claim his or her treasure only to realize it was replaced by a real mine. Sorry."

1L09924a.png

#26 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation - Vita - 2/14/2016

"Had a nice chat with Bob...or Harold...or something"

1L078d00.png

#27 - Hyperdimension Neptunia PP: Producing Perfection - Vita - 3/2/2016

"Found a bottle of Nuka Cola Quantum - CHA-ching"

1Lc5d909.png

#28 - Hitman GO: Definitive Edition - Vita - 3/4/2016

"Found in a remote office building that had this whole Cthulhu vibe going on"

1L7b0d30.png

29. Teslagrad - PS4 - 3/20/2016

"Won the DJ for a day contest held by Galaxy News Radio"

1L47879f.png

#30 - Final Fantasy X-2 HD - Vita - 4/2/2016

"Sold Three Dog some scavenged vinyl"

1L912811.png

#31 - Norn9: Var Commons - Vita - 4/17/2016

"Three Dog let me in on an industry secret - platinum records are made of actual platinum. Who knew?"

1L6fea35.png

#32 - The Banner Saga - PS4 - 4/25/2016

"Played Russian roulette with an idiot and a full magazine - he went first"

1Lfbf81f.png

#33 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 - Vita - 4/30/2016

"Cleared a Yao Guai den with a flamethrower - choke on that Smokey!"

1Lfd2b3f.png

#34 - Senran Kagura Bon Appetit! - Vita - 5/8/2016

"Traded the Brotherhood of Steel some high tech weaponry"

1Lcb3a39.png

#35 - Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed - Vita - 5/20/2016

"Won a bet that I could glue together some tin cans and scraps of metal and convince the Brotherhood it was ancient alien tech"

1L036a11.png

#36 - Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Vita - 6/30/2016

"Found in the meat locker of this nice family straight out of Leave It to Beaver"

1Lb939c6.png

Also picked up these bottle caps along the way (100% completions):

1. Child of Light - PS4
2. Closure - PS3
3. Costume Quest 2 - PS4

4. Gone Home: Console Edition - PS4
5. Kick and Fennick - Vita
6. Machinarium - PS3
7. Murasaki Baby - Vita
8. Nova-111 - Vita
9. Stick It to the Man! - Vita
10. The Swapper - PS4
11. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - Vita
12. Thomas Was Alone - Vita
13. Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition - Vita
14. The Unfinished Swan - Vita
15. Valiant Hearts: The Great War - PS4
16. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - PS4
17. The Walking Dead: Season 2 - PS3

Thank you for tuning in to this special episode of Galaxy News Radio. This is AWF9495, signing out.

Edited by awf9495
  • Like 2

Nice list!!! A lot different types of games. If it makes you feel any better, you have more platinums than me!

Thanks!  Variety is the spice of life, or so they say.  I actually don't feel bad about the number of platinums, I just wanted to write a bit of a short story so went with a Fallout theme.

Pretty good job. I find it funny that you say you have Platinum trophies in short supply, yet I began trophy hunting 3 years before you and you still have more than me xD

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!  I was just going with a post-apocalypic survival theme as I thought it would be fun to tie my hunt for trophies into some sort of story (and nothing says fun like the post apocalypse!).  I see you have a 100% completion percentage, which is incredible.  Really, some of the genres I prefer are just conducive to trophy hunting, such as adventure games and visual novels.  Sometimes this almost feels like cheating, but I like what I like.

• Like 1

I see you have a 100% completion percentage, which is incredible.

Sorta kinda. I hid a lot of trophies from games my brother played on my profile before he got his own, so those obviously don't count, but I also hid a few from games I never wanted to have on my trophy list (still, it wouldn't go below 90%). I did it mostly so that my profile looked cleaner and only contained the games I truly care about (it's more convenient for the trophy advisor and gaming sessions, for instance).

Really, some of the genres I prefer are just conducive to trophy hunting, such as adventure games and visual novels.  Sometimes this almost feels like cheating, but I like what I like.

Exactly. Never let trophies dictate what games you should or shouldn't play. It doesn't matter if the trophy set is too easy, too hard or even impossible to get all of them - all that matters is that you have fun. You know, like we did back in the old says, when we had no trophies and still had a blast.

• Like 1

Exactly. Never let trophies dictate what games you should or shouldn't play. It doesn't matter if the trophy set is too easy, too hard or even impossible to get all of them - all that matters is that you have fun. You know, like we did back in the old says, when we had no trophies and still had a blast.

I hear you there.  I only play games that I want to play and then I only play them for as long as I'm having fun.  If I don't like a game or the trophies start to feel like more of a grind than I want to handle, I have no problems moving on.  For me, trophies can enhance an experience, but shouldn't ever be the reason why I am playing or why I choose what to play.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Added #31 and #32.

I love visual novels and am not opposed to a bit of romance, so I am fine with otome games. Of the handful I've played, the romance has usually taken a backseat to the overall story and rarely feels too pandering.  Norn9 is no different and has a very interesting premise and a great cast of characters, despite having some fairly significant issues with translation (though it is by no means unreadable).

The Banner Saga combines hard choices (a la Telltale's The Walking Dead) with a dark fantasy aesthetic and a fairly simple strategy role playing combat system.  Oh, and there is also some resource management which isn't all that important outside of a couple of trophies. Not all downloadable only games are created equal and while I wouldn't put The Banner Saga in the upper echelon, it is just a notch or two below.

• 2 months later...

Guess it has been a while since I updated.  Added four plats and one 100% (Gone Home).  Won't go into detail about what I've been playing, but Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is one of my favorite Vita games and I highly recommend it to any fan of JRPG's.