Sheltered help thread

CasaDeBen

Lets help each other out. This games kinda tricky at first and tips could help newcomers and maybe some already experienced players.

Pets

- I will now pick the horse every time. The benefits for expeditions are crazy. After picking the horse ive had my best run so far.

- the dog is pretty good for combat, but still not as good as the horse

Building

- water is very important, upgrade whatever you can to help water production and decontamination, without water you cant explore to get food.

What other tips do you have?

Anyone care to shed light on the mysterious hatch code? No one has the trophy yet. :(

Edited by CasaDeBen

Hey, I just got the game about 2 hours ago, And everyone is already dead

I went on multiple (big) explorations but I never found food. Can anyone help me out? :)

Make your adults both violent and courageous. They will be able to fight. Those will be who you send out to explore. Your kids will be 1. Resourceful and bully 2. Hands on and brainbox. They will stay behind wearing hazmat suits and tackle business at home. The hands on one will be your main crafter and fixer.

When going on an expedition start slow, goto places you know will have food, houses and such.

• Like 1

Make your adults both violent and courageous. They will be able to fight. Those will be who you send out to explore. Your kids will be 1. Resourceful and bully 2. Hands on and brainbox. They will stay behind wearing hazmat suits and tackle business at home. The hands on one will be your main crafter and fixer.

When going on an expedition start slow, goto places you know will have food, houses and such.

Ill give it another go :)

Good luck. Im on my 5th family. 3rd time with that set up. Everyones alive at day 92. I have more than enough of everything and now im just upgrading and hunkering down for a raid while collecting goods

I know this is a bad question but I cant be able to find a sulution. I only played 1 hour of the game but the reason I died before is because I dont know how to get to my inventory. 

As I said, its a bad question, but I need to know :P

EDIT: Never mind, I just found out what I needed to know :)

Edited by BestGregger
  • Like 1

I know this is a bad question but I cant be able to find a sulution. I only played 1 hour of the game but the reason I died before is because I dont know how to get to my inventory. 

As I said, its a bad question, but I need to know :P

EDIT: Never mind, I just found out what I needed to know :)

Trial and error. Also you can cheese it a bit if youre doing good, make some frequent back ups to the cloud so if something goes wrong you can go back a few steps

I agree water is very important, I have three times water reach at 0, because rain sometimes unpredictable and may not rain for few days. now i'm at 250 capacity and doing great, food capacity at 225 (205 pantry, 20 meat), never has problem with food rations/meat.

I'm still figuring out the mystery code hatch as well, seems no one knows about it at the moment, I cannot figure how to effectively subdue an enemy in combat however, trophy do unlock for some, so I guess is not glitched/bugged, I managed to get people dazed but somehow not subdued, so I kinda confuse on that, also still waiting for raiders to come, on day 150+ now.

Btw, one of my original family members has died, I'm not sure what are the cause, maybe from bleeding to death I guess since I'm not paying attention to their health status and problem. lol.

I agree water is very important, I have three times water reach at 0, because rain sometimes unpredictable and may not rain for few days. now i'm at 250 capacity and doing great, food capacity at 225 (205 pantry, 20 meat), never has problem with food rations/meat.

I'm still figuring out the mystery code hatch as well, seems no one knows about it at the moment, I cannot figure how to effectively subdue an enemy in combat however, trophy do unlock for some, so I guess is not glitched/bugged, I managed to get people dazed but somehow not subdued, so I kinda confuse on that, also still waiting for raiders to come, on day 150+ now.

Btw, one of my original family members has died, I'm not sure what are the cause, maybe from bleeding to death I guess since I'm not paying attention to their health status and problem. lol.

Subdue seems to be low percentage. I just kept trying and eventually it wasnt resisted.

Ive had 1 person try to raid me, but i had just upgraded my doors and they gave up. Would have got the trophy too because 1 guy wouldnt survive the 3 shotgun traps and 3 spike traps i have set up to welcome you.

As for bleeding if you get injured while exploring, healing is very important when they get back. Im still with all family alive and just 1 extra person to do my radio work.

Yes I learnt my lesson, I've stocked up many first aid kits, so when I go exploring I will bring me at least 5 first aid kits. Haha

I'm trying for subdue trophy so long now it always between resisted and dazed, so no luck for me. So frustrating. Hmmm. What weapon do you use for the subdue and the person stats?

Have you trying moving on though? I already got the option to move on but not until I encounter a raider or fully upgrade my system at least. Switch item for upgrading kinda rare now, but I'm almost there.

Im on day 140-150, and haven't been raided once :/

250 water, 200 pantry and 40 meat capacity. With around 300 storage space.

I have the entire first map uncovered and working on upgrades. Also got the quest to "move on" to a new map to find a missing family member. Debating when to do that..

Early on in the game at around day 15-20 I did have a group put my shelter under a protection racket though for 10 cans of food every few days. When I went to try fighting them the 1st time around day 35 (thinking I was prepared), they had 3 woman all carrying shotguns... Needless to say i ran for my life lol. Later after preping up and recruiting 2 "cannon fodder" npcs that I was going to send on a suicidal mission.. I noticed the protection racket boss suddenly disappeared off the map :/

EDIT - a good combat tip, never try to engage enemies with guns unless you have body armor or high dexterity (allows you to attack first). The enemy has killed 2 of my NPCs at full health in one attack wave using only pistols

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 1

Yes I learnt my lesson, I've stocked up many first aid kits, so when I go exploring I will bring me at least 5 first aid kits. Haha

I'm trying for subdue trophy so long now it always between resisted and dazed, so no luck for me. So frustrating. Hmmm. What weapon do you use for the subdue and the person stats?

Have you trying moving on though? I already got the option to move on but not until I encounter a raider or fully upgrade my system at least. Switch item for upgrading kinda rare now, but I'm almost there.

I think i subdued them with a rifle. And my str was maybe 8 and dex 7?

I havent gotten a quest for that. I have seen another shelter though. Only quest ive done is the living doll one and the protection racket. Not sure how to get more

I havent gotten a quest for that. I have seen another shelter though. Only quest ive done is the living doll one and the protection racket. Not sure how to get more

You might not get the moving on quest until after day 100 or after you get the RV up and running. As for getting quests in general, try dedicating 1 of your NPCs to always "Scan frequency" on the radio. You'll get atleast one quest/scenario every few days. But for the most part it is random.

You might not get the moving on quest until after day 100 or after you get the RV up and running. As for getting quests in general, try dedicating 1 of your NPCs to always "Scan frequency" on the radio. You'll get atleast one quest/scenario every few days. But for the most part it is random.

Hmm thanks ive been scanning but not all that often. I just found the factions but not sure what to do with them. On day 134 and i had the rv on a different save but i use my horse so i dont care for the rv much. I guess ill finish it up again, only needs a tire

I think i subdued them with a rifle. And my str was maybe 8 and dex 7?

good to know, i rarely used firearms, only melee weapon. lol. later I will try, I thought lucky lucky bat (special schematics) can do the trick, but I guess I was wrong. haha

BTW, I just have been raided by two people, all is well, they both died near my entrance, they broke my door pretty quick tho (I got lvl 3 door upgrades for both doors), which makes me panic a bit, since I got 4 people in the shelter at the moment and 4 other on the expedition. When raided, I got 3 people into hiding spots and 1 more working on arming the trap, and I become panic as I have not make much trip wires to arm the traps (I thought I don't need those). Lucky they both died on my first two traps on the entrance (1 shotgun trap and 1 paint can trap or maybe 1 spike trap, I'm not sure which one because things escalated very quickly, lol). Then, they become desperate meats after I harvest them. Not sure if that can effect other things but I notice when the person who harvest it, the trauma level increases.

Hmm thanks ive been scanning but not all that often. I just found the factions but not sure what to do with them. On day 134 and i had the rv on a different save but i use my horse so i dont care for the rv much. I guess ill finish it up again, only needs a tire

Another tip, you can make two person scan frequencies and signalling the traders to come at the same also, at least I got my upgrades items from the trades as well other than the expeditions. For tire, try scrapyards, large ones especially, usually they got many parts for the RV.

good to know, i rarely used firearms, only melee weapon. lol. later I will try, I thought lucky lucky bat (special schematics) can do the trick, but I guess I was wrong. haha

BTW, I just have been raided by two people, all is well, they both died near my entrance, they broke my door pretty quick tho (I got lvl 3 door upgrades for both doors), which makes me panic a bit, since I got 4 people in the shelter at the moment and 4 other on the expedition. When raided, I got 3 people into hiding spots and 1 more working on arming the trap, and I become panic as I have not make much trip wires to arm the traps (I thought I don't need those). Lucky they both died on my first two traps on the entrance (1 shotgun trap and 1 paint can trap or maybe 1 spike trap, I'm not sure which one because things escalated very quickly, lol). Then, they become desperate meats after I harvest them. Not sure if that can effect other things but I notice when the person who harvest it, the trauma level increases.

Another tip, you can make two person scan frequencies and signalling the traders to come at the same also, at least I got my upgrades items from the trades as well other than the expeditions. For tire, try scrapyards, large ones especially, usually they got many parts for the RV.

The desperate meat can be traded. Im not sure how it affects people eating. If you have an incinerator you can just burn the bodies for extra fuel. Ive seen some people set it up at the top with the traps so its easy to dispose of the body

I only have 5 in my crew. Might hurt me in the long run but im always stocked full. Plus i hate people bailing on me after i help them. Or maybe they will come back and know my defenses... trust issues here lol.

The desperate meat can be traded. Im not sure how it affects people eating. If you have an incinerator you can just burn the bodies for extra fuel. Ive seen some people set it up at the top with the traps so its easy to dispose of the body

I only have 5 in my crew. Might hurt me in the long run but im always stocked full. Plus i hate people bailing on me after i help them. Or maybe they will come back and know my defenses... trust issues here lol.

I see, I don't see incinerator that useful tho, so I never made one, since fuel canister is very common, unless they patch it to make it rarer, then incinerator might be useful then.

As long as you have people enough to do things, is ok. I'm at 8, four of them usually go on expedition, teams of two, with two kids always in shelter for scanning frequencies, contact traders and doing chores (fixing things, cleaning shelter) with the other two as wildcards for either both tasks. I have dog as family pet. I haven't try the other ones, I heard horse is good?

I see, I don't see incinerator that useful tho, so I never made one, since fuel canister is very common, unless they patch it to make it rarer, then incinerator might be useful then.

As long as you have people enough to do things, is ok. I'm at 8, four of them usually go on expedition, teams of two, with two kids always in shelter for scanning frequencies, contact traders and doing chores (fixing things, cleaning shelter) with the other two as wildcards for either both tasks. I have dog as family pet. I haven't try the other ones, I heard horse is good?

I dont have it personally either but it is a good body disposal I guess :P

The horse has been great. Once you throw a saddle on them early game with 2 rucksacks you can bring a lot back. Dog was nice for combat though.

My water has been poisend twice, I always fix it. But it doesnt seem to go away 

I also upgrade the filter right when I can

Only happened to me early on and i get black rain often in my game. Do you have enough water butts?

Very close to having my last upgrades done. 2/3 complete. Just waiting to he raided and figure out this code. I probably wont play until i have a solid answer about the code. I hate that theres nothing except the developer going "heh..." on reddit at people trying to figure it out.

Very close to having my last upgrades done. 2/3 complete. Just waiting to he raided and figure out this code. I probably wont play until i have a solid answer about the code. I hate that theres nothing except the developer going "heh..." on reddit at people trying to figure it out.

what day you in already? I got raided on 160 day. So maybe you can be prepared it might be during that period I guess.

Only happened to me early on and i get black rain often in my game. Do you have enough water butts?

I didnt, and that was most likely the problem

What I do know now is that this game is really difficult. My first playthrough I got to day 12, Second playthrough 13 and now I just died on day 18..

Edited by BestGregger

I didnt, and that was most likely the problem

What I do know now is that this game is really difficult. My first playthrough I got to day 12, Second playthrough 13 and now I just died on day 18..

My first i got to day 78 and thought i was a boss. But i only had 1 family member left and everything was very bad. Its all trial and error i think.

what day you in already? I got raided on 160 day. So maybe you can be prepared it might be during that period I guess.

168, was raided at like 120 but he couldnt get through my level 2 door. Only got it down to 30%

My first i got to day 78 and thought i was a boss. But i only had 1 family member left and everything was very bad. Its all trial and error i think.

168, was raided at like 120 but he couldnt get through my level 2 door. Only got it down to 30%

i see, it seems the number of raiders are random, from 1-3 raiders, I got 2 raiders. Seems weird since I got two lvl 3 doors, they come in pretty quick. So i guess their stat matters too? (which might be random as well)

i see, it seems the number of raiders are random, from 1-3 raiders, I got 2 raiders. Seems weird since I got two lvl 3 doors, they come in pretty quick. So i guess their stat matters too? (which might be random as well)

Probably, he just gave up on mine :/