The UR PS3-Way v2.0: Another Plat Race

Every Race Needs one  

33 members have voted

1. 1. You know what to do here.

• Hemiak
    • Xionx
    • Zone Hunter

Completed Doom I on Ultra-violence yesterday, pretty easy stuff apart from the infamous E4M2. But playing through Doom II for the first time ever, i must say.... they REALLY upped the difficulty... Traps everywhere.... 

nice, i finished everything except nightmare run , (nightmare i cleared 3 levels or so) in doom 3

I tried Vanquish few times but i cant pass mission 4 . TBH i dont really have motivation to practice it for hours at the moment . Vanquish is possible reason why i will lose the race :(

Edited by Xionx

I've played about 2 hours of doom 2 in the last week. As Zone said, it's a total cluster F.... Some of the levels are absolutely ridiculous with Teleporters. Whoever decided that you come out always facing North was stupid. But whoever the first guy to say "Hey, we should put enemies behind them when they port into a room! " Should have a brick thrown at them.

I might just move on to Vanquish soon, just to try to get some motivation back, this is not fun.

I did however binge watch a cool new TV show called 'Alone' on the history channel. They take 10 survivalist guys and drop them off with a couple cameras and some gear on Vancouver Island, which is one of the harshest environment in America. They're all completely separated from each other and have no idea how many are left. Whoever lasts longest wins 500k. They're airing a 2nd season of it now.

I've played about 2 hours of doom 2 in the last week. As Zone said, it's a total cluster F.... Some of the levels are absolutely ridiculous with Teleporters. Whoever decided that you come out always facing North was stupid. But whoever the first guy to say "Hey, we should put enemies behind them when they port into a room! " Should have a brick thrown at them.

The biggest challenge is managing your weaponry. So many enemies, so little ammo...

The biggest challenge is managing your weaponry. So many enemies, so little ammo...

I hear that, I use the chainsaw a lot when I have a choke point. Still, if you're not finding most of the secret areas you're almost always running low on ammo. I finisher a level the other night with 34 rockets, and no other ammo at all. Another one I had like 2 rockets and 7 shotgun shells. >. <

Edit: @Xion, I put a Doom 3 mp session up for Thursday night, (my time) If you're interested. It's pretty late/early for you guys, but I figured I'd mention it. I still haven't touched Doom 3 yet, but I figured I'd throw something up before we actually get down to crunch time.

Edited by Hemiak

I hear that, I use the chainsaw a lot when I have a choke point. Still, if you're not finding most of the secret areas you're almost always running low on ammo. I finisher a level the other night with 34 rockets, and no other ammo at all. Another one I had like 2 rockets and 7 shotgun shells. >. <

Edit: @Xion, I put a Doom 3 mp session up for Thursday night, (my time) If you're interested. It's pretty late/early for you guys, but I figured I'd mention it. I still haven't touched Doom 3 yet, but I figured I'd throw something up before we actually get down to crunch time.

I will look into it , but im pretty sure i cant . My only days i will have time are friday and saturday (nights) at the moment .

So i did complete Doom II the other day. Even though it was pretty tedious, since most levels in Doom II like to f#ck with you, i'm pretty glad i finally completed both Doom's on Ultra-Violence. My younger self would be proud :D

Can't say i did it without a walkthrough though  :angel:

Edited by xZoneHunter

I found using walk through to be counter productive unless I was truly stuck in an area. I was wasting more time watching a video than I would if I just played most of the levels on my own.

Gratz on finishing it off. I'll hopefully do that after the session tonight.

Edited by Hemiak

So small Update for everyone else. Hemiak , Zone and me was boosting all Multiplayer trophies together for Doom 3 !  In the end there were 5 ppl signed  up , but only us 3 were online for the boost. (omg i have totally problems with the gramma of times in these sentences!!)

I was little bit scared of connection issues , because on other forums i read that Us has connection stability problems with EU at this game,  but everything was running fine.

• Like 1

We got everything done in about 40 minutes. But 25 of that was running around because we couldn't find what we needed in the levels. Also, like a noob, I did the last round for no death for all of us on death match. >. < It went into sudden death and wouldn't end until one person got a kill, and we had to play one extra 5 min round. I probably should have put it on capture the flag or something, live and learn I guess.

I then finished Doom 2 last night, and No Rest for the Living this morning. So now Zone and I are tied on Doom progress. I'll probably start Vanquish this weekend.

Edited by Hemiak

• 2 weeks later...

I was Doom'd out after finishing two. Been mostly playing Lightning Returns but putting a few hours into vanquish for the last week or so, and that was enough to finish the campaign on hard. I still have a couple misc trophies to go, and I need to clean up about a dozen pangloss statues.

I've done with the first five challenges, and I started on challenge 6 last night. 4 took me about 7 or 8 tries, honestly the 2nd phase was the hardest for me. I'm currently at 16 deaths on 6 and haven't made it past phase 3. :( As has been stated, six is an entirely different sort of beast.

Another tip I just remembered (if I didn't put it before) for Doom 3's nightmare is holding off health centers until you get upcoming big fights. There are some instances in which a Health center is close by a big shot so It's better to get that extra health as some sort of armor for that fight instead of just using it the first chance you see.

On the other hand, if you cleared a big area of demons and the health centers stays unused...Well, you don't want it to go to waste, right?

Best of luck on it guys.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

Well, i got a DOOM plat yesterday. Too bad it's the wrong one  :giggle:

Anyway, my progress with the games is getting close to 0 these last 2 weeks. Currently still doing my speedrun playthrough on Doom 3 before i tackle Nightmare. How are you guys doing?

speedrun playthrough is not really necessary tbh ... i got the under 10h trophy on my "collect all collectables" playthrough . ;)

I was Doom'd out after finishing two. Been mostly playing Lightning Returns but putting a few hours into vanquish for the last week or so, and that was enough to finish the campaign on hard. I still have a couple misc trophies to go, and I need to clean up about a dozen pangloss statues.

I've done with the first five challenges, and I started on challenge 6 last night. 4 took me about 7 or 8 tries, honestly the 2nd phase was the hardest for me. I'm currently at 16 deaths on 6 and haven't made it past phase 3. :( As has been stated, six is an entirely different sort of beast.

mission 4 ,  7-8 tries at all or reaching the last wave(the hardest on mission4) ?  im stuck on mission 4 at the moment :(

Another tip I just remembered (if I didn't put it before) for Doom 3's nightmare is holding off health centers until you get upcoming big fights. There are some instances in which a Health center is close by a big shot so It's better to get that extra health as some sort of armor for that fight instead of just using it the first chance you see.

On the other hand, if you cleared a big area of demons and the health centers stays unused...Well, you don't want it to go to waste, right?

Best of luck on it guys.

im pretty much ignoring every health center and try every enemy spawn without getting hit -> save reload all the time .   but im only chapter 3 on nightmare so maybe i change that .... and damn loading times are sooooooo loooong.

speedrun playthrough is not really necessary tbh ... i got the under 10h trophy on my "collect all collectables" playthrough . ;)

mission 4 , 7-8 tries at all or reaching the last wave(the hardest on mission4) ? im stuck on mission 4 at the moment :(

im pretty much ignoring every health center and try every enemy spawn without getting hit -> save reload all the time . but im only chapter 3 on nightmare so maybe i change that .... and damn loading times are sooooooo loooong.

7 or 8 total. I died on wave 1, then twice on wave 2, then reached 5, played too cautious and got overwhelmed. Two more phase 2 fails, then I cleared it. I think 4 especially plays to my playstyle.

So over two nights I have about 3.5 hrs in on challenge 6. 35ish deaths and I reached wave 5 on my final attempt last night. First night I couldn't clear wave 3. I went in a little cocky after clearing ch. 4. I have now been appropriately humbled.

I now clear phase 1 about 90% of the time. Phase 2 is more like 50%, phase 3 is probably close to 80% now. Phase 4 takes some luck, but the one time I survived until it was just two scorpions i cleared it. Now the real fun begins.

I had a 20 minute break today so knocked out two more misc trophies.

Edited by Hemiak

im pretty much ignoring every health center and try every enemy spawn without getting hit -> save reload all the time .   but im only chapter 3 on nightmare so maybe i change that .... and damn loading times are sooooooo loooong.

Well, that's ok too except for the instance in which you can get killed even for the smallest mistakes. If a series of rooms are clear, I'd suggest you grab that health center.

On the other hand, it's great that you're doing it because you're bound to be much more cautious and thus, you'll get used to every demon tactics more easily.

Chapter 3 huh? Wait until you get to Delta Labs, particularly the midst of it....

Ah yes, the loading times. They are the main reason of the difficulty imo lol.

• 3 weeks later...

So Vanquish is done. Now I just need to treat Doom like a dentist visit, (or a colonoscopy) grin and bear it.

Is it too late for us to decide on a replacement game for Doom? My desire to play this game is approaching zero.

So Vanquish is done. Now I just need to treat Doom like a dentist visit, (or a colonoscopy) grin and bear it.

Is it too late for us to decide on a replacement game for Doom? My desire to play this game is approaching zero.

if we decide to change it than i already lost the race.  because i think finishing doom is my least problem...... i cant beat vanquish.....

Damn, now you're in the lead! Seems like i'll have my work cut out for me.

Well i can't see myself going back to mamo curse with much enthusiasm at this point. Maybe it's fair if we all change our "weak" games for something else? Seems like we're all having problems with a different game. 

Damn, now you're in the lead! Seems like i'll have my work cut out for me.

Well i can't see myself going back to mamo curse with much enthusiasm at this point. Maybe it's fair if we all change our "weak" games for something else? Seems like we're all having problems with a different game. 

i dont know .... if i cant beat vanquish ... i dont deserve to win .!  Mam curse was hardcore to beat for me .... and i really hoped bothe of you will struggle on mam curse ..... but hemiak was destroying this dream pretty quick...

i dont know .... if i cant beat vanquish ... i dont deserve to win .!  Mam curse was hardcore to beat for me .... and i really hoped bothe of you will struggle on mam curse ..... but hemiak was destroying this dream pretty quick...

I'm just surprised how both of you got it done so quickly... I mean i tried to beat the arcade mode without losing a life for hours but it the last boss really seems impossible. I don't even want to start trying to do the Nowa courses.

Maybe shmups aren't my forté. Well they probably aren't :P

I'm just pissing and moaning. Don't mind this old man. I think everybody came out of the gates strong, and really went after their first game. I personally think challenge 6 was harder than any one challenge in Mam, but MC has about 10 things that are close to that level of difficulty.

Besides, we're all about 1/3rd done with Doom anyway. It's too bad Evil Within isn't UR though, cause I bought it last week and I really want to play it. I'd make that substitution in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the it's run of Lost Mission the other night. Need to do it on Nightmare now.

nice , nightmare is annoying , because of the extreeemly long loading times.

I havent touched a game for over a week now , my paper is pretty much work at the moment. 8-10 h a day in lab -> at home i write the paper .....

Im really happy to race you both but Uni is little bit more important at moment , sry !

Finished Lost Mission nightmare last night.

It's one of those games that actually gets easier as you go. Sure the monsters all do more damage, but with only 25 health even the imps can one shot you. So the fact that there are generally fewer Demons to deal with at a time, they're slower, and the levels are more open, makes it much easier.