Weapon stats

So I finally find a town that sells some weapons and armor. The problem is is I don't know how to pull up the menu so I can check out the stats for weapons and armor. Call me old-fashioned, but back in the day whenever you went to buy weapons and armor one menu showed you what your current weapon was and the other menu showed you what the weapon you were looking at is. I don't see that anywhere and I'm not finding any button on how to bring that man you up. If this game uses a different system then how can I tell which weapons are better than others.

There's no weapon stats in FFX, the differences between weapons/armors are the number of passive abilities slots they have as well what abilities they have.

So when you are upgrading weapons is only because you found some that have more appropriate abilities for whatever you are doing (like No Encounters if you just want to get from point A to B, or Firestrike if you are in an area where the enemies are weak to fire, or Fire Ward/proof/Eater if you are in an area where the enemies use a lot of fire moves).

Also, ignore Auto-Shell and SOS Shell and Reflect (there's only 1 boss that I remember that's useful to have reflect, so keep some around, but Shell is useless, since it also halves Cure magic.. ya, not good at all).

1 other thing, later in the game you will get the ability to customize the empty slots of your gear (along buying Empty 4-slots gear, so that you can make what you really want of it).