Translation questions regarding 5pb games

TheAveryChu

(First off if there is a better location that this thread, I would appreciate if a mod could move it to the appropriate location).

I am in the process of learning Japanese, although I do have a long way to go. My main motivation is being able to play JP games that haven't been localized in the U.S, such as several of the 5pb games.

I am curious for those who have played some of these games (such as STEINS;GATE 比翼恋理, and Robotic;Notes), is how well should I know the language before even attempting to read any of these. If I know Hiragana and Katakana fairly well, would it be a good idea to pick one up and struggle through it, or should I just wait until I can read Kana, and Kanji with ease, and would there be any options to make the experience easier?

Thanks for whatever info, you guys can provide.

Um... um... I... kinda don't want to answer because... I don't want to destroy your hopes of playing these games...

But I have to be frank in this case...

I am curious for those who have played some of these games (such as STEINS;GATE 比翼恋理, and Robotic;Notes), is how well should I know the language before even attempting to read any of these. 

A LOT.

Seriously, A LOT. These games are filled with really complicated terms and correspondingly complicated kanji. 

Kana is not nearly enough for these games. I went through RoboNotes due to being able to understand spoken Japanese but since MC's inner monologues are not voiced, I was only getting bits and pieces because his monologues were literal wall of kanji. 

Another thing is that 5pb games are a bit specific. They use their own terminology or terminology you won't ever use anywhere else. =D In other words, they are not VNs that would actually help you in understanding different VNs. That's how special they are.

If you, however, play on Vita, you can have a phone with you and use Google Translator to translate complicated sentences with its scanning feature.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1