Unlocking characters

Some characters join later in the story -- you simply progress the story far enough to get them to arrive.

Some characters are unlocked through the Path of Destiny -- progress that far enough and they're yours.

The three specific characters you mentioned require you to perform specific feats in battles in Chapter 9, namely defeating them repeatedly on the maps during which they show up.

Ma Dai and Ma Chao have to be recruited through the storyline battle in which they appear during Chapter 9.  You have to beat them twice inside the same battle -- the first time they are beaten, they'll "temporarily retreat" and show up a couple of turns later.  Rather than blitz through the rest of the map, you need to be patient enough to let them re-appear so you can knock them out again.  After you beat them twice, Liu Bei should convince them to join up with him instead of siding with Liu Zhang.

A similar process is necessary for Jiang Wei during the Chapter 9 battle in which he shows up.  Again, you must beat him twice in the same battle, and then you have to wait for him to appear a third time.  At that point, Liu Bei will convince Jiang Wei to switch sides as well.

Those three characters aren't unlocked by storyline progression or Path of Destiny.  You simply have to beat them on that particular map enough times.  It's a little easier to do in NG+ because you can repeat Story battles as many times as you'd like during NG+.

3 hours ago, AllanGronkjaer said:

hi any tips for farming level and SP trying to go for platin trophy

New Game Plus, which unlocks "Ultimate" difficulty.  Enemies are set to max level (100) are are worth five times the SP as well.  I like to find reasonable Free Battle maps where Max Synchro Gauge at the start of battle is in effect -- by reasonable, I mean maps where the entire party is close enough together that I can simply blow out a Synchro with all five characters every turn and mow down enemies.

When I don't have a Max Synchro bonus available, I'll look for double SP and fight on Hard difficulty.  Or I'll look for bonus Gold/drops on a late game (Ch 9-10) Free Battle map to farm Weapons, Reforging material, and cash.  Though if I'm fighting on Hard and not Ultimate, I don't need my party clustered close together because they're strong enough to OHKO most enemies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, acasser said:

New Game Plus, which unlocks "Ultimate" difficulty.  Enemies are set to max level (100) are are worth five times the SP as well.  I like to find reasonable Free Battle maps where Max Synchro Gauge at the start of battle is in effect -- by reasonable, I mean maps where the entire party is close enough together that I can simply blow out a Synchro with all five characters every turn and mow down enemies.

When I don't have a Max Synchro bonus available, I'll look for double SP and fight on Hard difficulty.  Or I'll look for bonus Gold/drops on a late game (Ch 9-10) Free Battle map to farm Weapons, Reforging material, and cash.  Though if I'm fighting on Hard and not Ultimate, I don't need my party clustered close together because they're strong enough to OHKO most enemies.

thank u very much