PSA: Devs working on patch to nerf password-feature for hard mode

Lizardcube, the devs behind Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap released the game on Steam recently. As it's easier for them to publish fixes and tweaks on Steam they started to publish a few patches in the last few days and one of them nerfs the password-feature. Up until now it's possible to use a password and start a hard mode-playthrough right before the end of the game to earn the one achievement/trophy with ease. On Steam, they already started to alter this so the "Hard Earned"-achievement/trophy can only be earned on a non-password playthrough.

For now it's only "fixed" on Steam but the devs already said that they try to bring all the fixes over to the console so it's best finish the game ASAP if you don't want to deal with a full 2nd playthrough!

The patch-notes (all interesting fixes/nerfs highlighted):

Here's a summary of what happened:

- Music: Updated "Staff Roll" and "The Last Dungeon (Return)" tracks with real recordings for Trumpet, Cornet, Trombone (Michael W Hillard) and Tenor Sax (Ernest W Hillard).
- Audio: Better overall audio balance for retro PSG/FM sfx and music. Lowered retro sfx volumes relative to respective retro music volumes. Upped retro music volumes by 10% to match modern music volumes.
- Gameplay: Hard mode balancing: Timer turns every 30 seconds (instead of 25).
- Gameplay: Hard mode balancing: Timer resets when entering Dragon Room.
- Gameplay: Hard mode balancing: Timer removes health proportionally to current health amount (typically harder in later stages of the game, vs old code didn't do much).
- Gameplay: Hard mode balancing: Various minor tweaks in Sky Palace.
- Gameplay: Hard mode balancing: Made the Yellow Shadow have little less Attack Points in Hard mode.
- Achievements: Now it doesn't grant "Hard-Earned" achievement on Hard Clear if the slot was started from a password.
- Graphics: Added floor reflections in the magical room prior to the Sky Palace.
- UI: Added Sky Palace location banner.
- UI: Fixed Ending Credits play time being rightfully included in the saveslot timer when returning to title screen, but not actually saved to disk, so quitting immediately would remove a few minutes on the timer.
- UI: Fixed in-game door & mouse rotate popup timers from triggering when Pause is active.
- UI/Retro: Fixed the Hourglass rotation in Retro UI from being painfully slow.
- Audio: Fixed playing the "Landing" sound effect when appearing in the Last Dungeon after the Intro.
- Credits: Added Seaven's Pascal & Olivier young faces.
- Graphics: Enable the option to change the fullscreen resolution.
- Graphics: Frame Limiter back on by default.
- Graphics: Double default windowed mode size on 4K screens.
- Inputs: Fixed legacy non-xinput controller remapping referring to xinput buttons names ("A") instead of actions ("Jump").
- Inputs: Disabled UP/DOWN analog threshold added on Build 1884005 which makes Mouse-Man harder to play.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/543260/announcements/detail/2620381089029555186

18 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah because screw playing a fun five hour game twice xD

We are on a trophy-tracking site so don't use the word fun we all play games for those digital stickers [/sarcasm] ;) 

Overall the game is fun and pretty straightforward (with the exception of those charm stones 'cause hidden doors with no indicator where they are) but I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped for. Still have to fight my way through it. And hard mode wouldn't be that annoying if it wouldn't have that timer that reduces your health every 25 seconds little by little.

13 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

We are on a trophy-tracking site so don't use the word fun we all play games for those digital stickers [/sarcasm] ;) 

Overall the game is fun and pretty straightforward (with the exception of those charm stones 'cause hidden doors with no indicator where they are) but I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped for. Still have to fight my way through it. And hard mode wouldn't be that annoying if it wouldn't have that timer that reduces your health every 25 seconds little by little.

Well, thirty seconds now, it's been made even easier :D

On 19.6.2017 at 4:08 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Someone on a Metroidvania group really pimped this game. Is it any good?

This game really shines when it comes to the graphics and the sounds as the devs performed a really good job when they remade the look of the game to fit modern days and the art style is really good IMO.

Gameplay-wise it's just like the game from the 80s with some minor improvements .I read that hit boxes are a bit more forgiving but they are still annoying at some times. Another added feature is an auto-save but sadly you can't save manually or reload directly ingame. If you ever played any of the other Wonder Boy-games, or Adventure Island, you will feel familar with this one. I would call it a Metroidvania Lite, though. There are some areas you can only explore after getting the different transformations but it's straightforward and you only have one real choice to continue the "story" once you have a specific transformation.

On 19.6.2017 at 4:08 PM, starcrunch061 said:

I'm not going to lie - a hard mode that just reduces your help randomly every 25 30 seconds doesn't sound that great to me.

Hard mode also features the typical enemy hits harder, you hit weaker. And that timer is an original "feature" of the first Wonder Boy, which was an arcade game IIRC. So it's no surprise that such things are included in the game.

• 2 months later...