'Victory, such as it is..." and "World End" have new requirements?

Skadanton

After playing the game for over 6 hours I found that trophy guides (including PSN Profiles) have different requirements for these 2 trophies.

On PSN Profiles it says "Complete the game" and "Complete NG+" where now it is "Complete the game on Darkest" and "Complete the game on Stygian".

I always thought that developers cannot edit trophy requirements once the game is released...am I missing something? Did they change it (pretty much made it way harder to get the plat)

They renamed the difficulties in a patch. Normal mode in the most recent patch is now called Darkest and NG+ is called Stygian.

In the PC release, Stygian is actually called Blood Moon now, because of some added changes by the DLC that hasn't been released on Playstation yet.

The patch that introduced the renaming of NG+ into Stygian also added some slight difficulty changes. There are now some new mobs in challenge level dungeons and an extra boss that shows up every now and then. It doesn't affect the difficulty too much though, so I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

They renamed the difficulties in a patch. Normal mode in the most recent patch is now called Darkest and NG+ is called Stygian.

In the PC release, Stygian is actually called Blood Moon now, because of some added changes by the DLC that hasn't been released on Playstation yet.

The patch that introduced the renaming of NG+ into Stygian also added some slight difficulty changes. There are now some new mobs in challenge level dungeons and an extra boss that shows up every now and then. It doesn't affect the difficulty too much though, so I wouldn't worry.

Huh, that makes sense I guess. Question though, when I was starting the game asked me what difficulty I want to play on (Easy, Normal, and Darkest) -- so for a "Victory, such as it is..." you need to select "Darkest" difficulty? Or is it Normal?

Many games have changed trophy requirements, so it definitely is possible and happens. Rocket League changed the "drive 500km" down to "drive 50km", Plants vs Zombies [Vita] changed the match 3 trophy to be "any match" rather than "three jewels" [I did it before they changed it, took ages.] Probably more examples out there, but those are two off the top of my head I can recall.

5 hours ago, Skadanton said:

Huh, that makes sense I guess. Question though, when I was starting the game asked me what difficulty I want to play on (Easy, Normal, and Darkest) -- so for a "Victory, such as it is..." you need to select "Darkest" difficulty? Or is it Normal?

I tried booting up the game on PS4 and it offers radiant, darkest and stygian difficulties. I'm assuming those are what you mean since there never was a difficulty called easy at all. Basically the game used to have just normal and NG+. Now it has radiant, darkest and stygian. Trophy-wise normal=darkest and ng+=stygian.

Radiant is a mode they added in the latest patch on the Playstation versions of the game. In this mode, progression is faster and there are some balance changes such as more leniency in being able to bring higher level heroes onto lower level quests. In that mode you will not earn the trophy for completing the game.

Darkest is the default difficulty, which used to be the only difficulty available together with NG+. I'd personally recommend this over radiant if you plan on doing stygian as well, because going from radiant to stygian might be kind of a big leap. Completing the game on Darkest will earn you the trophy for completing the game.

Stygian is the hardest difficulty mode, which has more difficult combat and failure conditions. If you don't beat the game in a certain number of weeks or have a certain number of heroes die, you will lose the game. So for these reasons it's not really recommended for a first playthrough, even though it allows you to get the NG+ trophy out of the way. This difficulty mode used to be called NG+, and activating it required completing the game. But in the most recent version you could technically platinum the game in one go by starting on stygian.

I think it might say which difficulty mode you're playing on in the save selection. Also you can see an icon to the left of your estate name in the hamlet, which changes depending on difficulty. On radiant there's a kind of glowing halo-like symbol above the tower in the emblem. On darkest there's a black stress symbol. On stygian the symbol glows menancingly red.

Edited by IDiivil
Fixed an incorrect fact
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IDiivil said:

I tried booting up the game on PS4 and it offers radiant, darkest and stygian difficulties. I'm assuming those are what you mean since there never was a difficulty called easy at all. Basically the game used to have just normal and NG+. Now it has radiant, darkest and stygian. Trophy-wise normal=darkest and ng+=stygian.

Radiant is a mode they added in the latest patch on the Playstation versions of the game. In this mode, progression is faster and there are some balance changes such as more leniency in being able to bring higher level heroes onto lower level quests. In that mode you will not earn the trophy for completing the game.

Darkest is the default difficulty, which used to be the only difficulty available together with NG+. I'd personally recommend this over radiant if you plan on doing stygian as well, because going from radiant to stygian might be kind of a big leap. Completing the game on Darkest will earn you the trophy for completing the game.

Stygian is the hardest difficulty mode, which has more difficult combat and failure conditions. If you don't beat the game in a certain number of weeks or have a certain number of heroes die, you will lose the game. So for these reasons it's not really recommended for a first playthrough, even though it allows you to get the NG+ trophy out of the way. This difficulty mode used to be called NG+, and activating it required completing the game. But in the most recent version you could technically platinum the game in one go by starting on stygian.

I think it might say which difficulty mode you're playing on in the save selection. Also you can see an icon to the left of your estate name in the hamlet, which changes depending on difficulty. On radiant there's a kind of glowing halo-like symbol above the tower in the emblem. On darkest there's a black stress symbol. On stygian the symbol glows menancingly red.

Really appreciate your answer! Kind of weird that a game allows you to play NG+ on your first playthrough though.

5 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Many games have changed trophy requirements, so it definitely is possible and happens. Rocket League changed the "drive 500km" down to "drive 50km", Plants vs Zombies [Vita] changed the match 3 trophy to be "any match" rather than "three jewels" [I did it before they changed it, took ages.] Probably more examples out there, but those are two off the top of my head I can recall.

Yeah you are right, now when I think of it I can recall some games that have done it in the past.

1 hour ago, lronHulk said:

I just finished my old save that I began 6 months ago and the trophy for darkest popped. Now I have the stygian trophy left to do .... I wish I never started the game lol, this is a VERY long platinum doing the same game twice.

It's considered one of the best Indie games in the past few years (if not more) -- so I say it's worth it :)

Good luck with Stygian playthrough bud.