Digital Rights in Death

tpepper1985

10 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing that, too. I have doubts that vinyl sales outperform every other medium. Now, given the premium which vinyl commands, I could believe that its margins were the most robust, but if vinyl was really THAT good, I feel like I would see a lot more of it at media stores. But I would be happily proven wrong.

You arent wrong - The ‘Vinyl sales oupaced all other media this year’ is not exactly a lie - just a wild misuse of statistics.

It is the case that this year, Vinyl sales (in the UK- which is where this stat comes from I think, as I remember the article) were greater than any other individual method of music delivery.

Vinyl sold slightly more than digital sales and certainly more than CDs.

However, that has less to do with increased vinyl sales as it is to do with the increase in the use of streaming services.

The comparison is based on how many albums were sold on vinyl, vs. albums sold digitally, i.e. where a person went to the likes of iTunes and bought the album. It does not include the people who listened to the album on Spotify, or apple music or youtube.

Obviously, a far greater proportion of the people who switched to buying digitally on iTunes back 5 or 10 years ago, have now switched to streaming services like Spotify, as those are the people who are more technologically savvy - or at least technologically comfortable.

In contrast, the people who were hesitant to switch to iTunes and other digital marketplaces are still buying physical, as they are just as afraid of Spotify and Apple Music as they were of those digital marketplaces, but they are now more likely to buy Vinyl than CD. 

This means that, while vinyl is doing very well in comparion to CDs, it is very unlikely that it is generating sales from people who used to buy on digital marketplaces. Those people are simply streaming their music without ever buying it - and are therefore not included in the sales figures at all.

Digital marketplaces got knocked down by streaming.

Physical media didn’t get taller.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

I'd like to read about it I assume you read this somewhere because I find it hard to beleive, do you have a source you can link? The only thing I can find is this happened for 1 week in 2016 before Chirstmas, because people were buying vinyl as gifts for Christmas and this happened in the UK.

If this is what you mean we are not really talking about the same thing here ...

Read the post right above this one to know what I mean. Streaming did outperform it, but nothing else, not payed digital, nor CD, only thing that the above post got wrong is claiming that Vinyl sales didn't get better, they did, by a lot, compared to the previous year that is, that and the reason both of the other 2 got major drops made it the top contender, again, not counting streaming that got a even bigger boost.

Edited by Devil_Spooky