Amount of mobile data needed for PS4?

Lava_Yuki

I'm currently on a 19GB per month phone plan but have no Wifi to use my PS4 online (I use my phone for everything). Does using my mobile phone data take up a lot of data and do you think my data allowance would be enough for things like downloading updates, sync trophies, download the odd new digital game here and there etc? I don't play online multiplayer or anything. 

Also, does anyone know roughly how much data the PS4 uses to say, download one full game?

The average AAA title is about ~40GB.

https://www.finder.com/complete-list-playstation-4-install-sizes-460-titles

You'll probably going to pull a gig of data per day just to run the system. (What's New, Friend's List, Game Tile Info, ect.)

I would Not suggest using a mobile data plan for continual usage. You can probably get away with minor updates and syncing though...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I'm currently on a 19GB per month phone plan but have no Wifi to use my PS4 online (I use my phone for everything). Does using my mobile phone data take up a lot of data and do you think my data allowance would be enough for things like downloading updates, sync trophies, download the odd new digital game here and there etc? I don't play online multiplayer or anything. 

Also, does anyone know roughly how much data the PS4 uses to say, download one full game?

All the sizes of all downloads are pretty clearly labeled in the notification section (or whatever it's called now). Update sizes vary wildly from game to game, could be as little as 10MB, could be as much as 10GB. Generally speaking though, updates are usually a few hundred MBs, while games are generally anywhere from 20-40GB. I don't think your data plan is good enough for anything other than just syncing trophies and downloading small updates. Some games also take a surprisingly large amount of bandwidth.

You can check the sizes of your games by pressing start on its icon and going to 'information', if you are curious about what you already have. (And also Settings/Storage)

My general advice is to just not bother though, it will probably eat it up pretty quickly.

Edited by SkyMason
  • Like 1