Vine Trap Question

Sicho

Hello,

sometimes, a monster can be the victim of a vine trap, which opens up a window where you can smack the hell out of the critter.

My question is if these can also be used for capture? Let's say I weakened a Great Jagra enough that it limps ... if it would then trip into a vine trap, could I use Tranq Bombs to capture it then? Or does it only work with "real" traps you have to set yourself?

I haven't had an opportunity yet to test this myself but maybe somebody else did so if on some odd chance a limping monster gets caught in a vine trap when I'm hunting it, I would love to know if I can capture it so that I don't waste bombs :D (even though I have a shitton of bombs... :D )

• Like 1

I don't know about Vine Traps, but I'm also wondering if the Grimalkynes "trapping" the monster can be used for capture, too. I've noticed Elder Dragons can't be "caught" this way, so it left me wondering if tranqs could be used if another monster was weak enough to capture them with their help?

• Like 1

The only thing that works as a Monster Capture are the traps that you create e.g - Shock Trap [Thunderbugs and Trap Tools]. If you level up your Grimalkyne's trap tool, they also develop the ability to lay their own shock trap. You can also direct them to place their trap too as you get closer to level 10 of that particular skill.

As a general tip - the best way to tell if a Monster is catchable is when a small flashing skull appears on their mini-map icon. This pretty much means they are in their 'about to die' phase and it indicates that you should stop smacking them with your weapon and start the trapping process.

I'm really impressed with the sheer amount of monster parts you get from catching them over killing them. I started out killing them but then switched to catching them due to the much higher loot quota.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

1 hour ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I'm really impressed with the sheer amount of monster parts you get from catching them over killing them. I started out killing them but then switched to catching them due to the much higher loot quota.

AFAIK you don't get more loot by capturing them, you just get "different" loot and drop chances. At least that's how it was with previous games.

Basically, they had a Capture and a Slaying Loot Table. When you killed the monster you got f.ex. (I'm making the numbers up) four drops from the Slaying table while you only got two drops from the Capturing Table when you captured it BUT the chances of high rarity drops were way higher in the Capture Table.

Most of the loot you get at the end comes from breaking off parts of the monsters. This loot will be in the upper part of the rewards screen in the end. (I think that part is four rows "big") The loot you get for slaying or capturing the beast is in the lower part of the rewards screen. (only two rows big) That's where you have to look if you want to see the difference between Capturing and Killing. The four rows at the top of the rewards screen are not the killing or capturing rewards, they are the "breaking off parts and collecting stuff" rewards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sicho said:

AFAIK you don't get more loot by capturing them, you just get "different" loot and drop chances. At least that's how it was with previous games.

Basically, they had a Capture and a Slaying Loot Table. When you killed the monster you got f.ex. (I'm making the numbers up) four drops from the Slaying table while you only got two drops from the Capturing Table when you captured it BUT the chances of high rarity drops were way higher in the Capture Table.

Most of the loot you get at the end comes from breaking off parts of the monsters. This loot will be in the upper part of the rewards screen in the end. (I think that part is four rows "big") The loot you get for slaying or capturing the beast is in the lower part of the rewards screen. (only two rows big) That's where you have to look if you want to see the difference between Capturing and Killing. The four rows at the top of the rewards screen are not the killing or capturing rewards, they are the "breaking off parts and collecting stuff" rewards.

Oh nice!! That's great to know, thanks man! :)

Easy way to check whether a monster is catchable, is to check the monster list.  It shows kills (captures).  If you see 7 (0) it means you've killed 7 and caught 0, but catching is possible.  If you see 5 (-), the (-) means catching is not possible for that monster.  That said it's pretty easy to distinguish which can be caught and which can't - only the Elder Dragons can't (Nergigante, Teostra, Vaal Hazak, Kushala Daora, Xeno'jiiva, Kirin, Zorah Magdaros), everything else can (even tempered versions of monsters).