dark souls friendly NPC's with unique loot drops

yiazmat50112254

* first of all, this is a guide meant to know which NPC's should be killed if you like to get everything possible in the game. the NPC's i have put in the list have items you can only get by killing them and no other way exists to get them. this is the source i used to get the information.

* you should also know this list don't include NPC's that are already meant to turn hostile.

Spoiler

a few examples are vince and nico of thorolund who will try to kill you when you reach the tomb of giants, or dark sun gwyndolin which is counting as NPC because it's also a covenant leader. but she is meant to get killed as a boss too.

so it only includes "friendly" NPC's. however i do include phantoms because most of them could easily be missed if not aware they exist.

* WARNING: never kill NPC's for their items only. only kill them when you are absolutely sure you will never need them anymore during the entire game or when you already are ready to finish the game. this is because many of the listed NPC's will have other things to offer besides their loot drops, and killing them will make sure you won't get their services more.

* some NPC's might fit in more categories so i'll just put them where i assume they fits best

* the only item i added which IS aquireable multiple times is the fire keeper soul. but you should know that in NG+ all fire keeper souls respawn (like all items) and even if you use a soul that is used in the previous playthrough to upgrade your estus, that exact same soul will work again. so collecting those souls is only useful for collecting.

however fire keeper souls belonging to NPC's are unique in the way that they got their own lore attached to the item explanation (credit to starcrunch061 for confirming)

then here the list: i'll try to use as less information as posssible to keep it spoiler free:

blacksmiths:

andre of astora: blacksmith hammer

giant blacksmith: blacksmith giant hammer

vamos: hammer of vamos, royal helm

fire keepers:

darkmoon knightess: fire keeper soul

quelaag's sister: fire keeper soul

merchants or related to merchants:

big hat logan: big hat, tin crystallization catalyst, white dragon breath (must be killed in seath's lair in the dukes archives)

petrus\

>>> of thorolund: ivory talisman

rhea/

shiva of the east: iron round shield

shiva's bodyguard: darkwood grain ring

phantoms:

kirk knight of thorns: barbed straight sword, spiked shield, armor of thorns set (only one that can be killed 3 times instead of one), (the barbed straight sword and spiked shield are the only NPC drops that don't have 100% but 33% instead, so using a symbol of avarice or covetous gold serpent ring is highly recommend), (the thorns armor set will not be looted, instead it will be on a body after you killed him all 3 times in a single playthrough)

knight lautec of carim: ring of favor and protection, fire keeper soul (must be killed in anor londo)

Spoiler

both items are unique and not unique at the same time. the ring can also be obtained by sacrificing the xanthous crown by snuggly, but this is another unique item. as for the soul, this is unique in the way that it contains it's own text and because it's the only soul able to revive anastacia

maneater mildred: butchers knife

paladin leeroy: grant, sanctus, paladin set (paladin's set is on a body after killing him)

xanthous king jeremiah: notched whip, xanthous set (xanthous set is on a body after killing him)

other:

solaire of astora: sun set

stone dragon tail: dragon greatsword (apparently risk free because he won't mind you chopping his tail off for some reason :))

DLC only:

hawkeye gough: gough's set

lords blade ciaran: ciaran's set

marvellous chester: chesters set

good luck and have fun everyone with the NPC loot guide :D 

Edited by yiazmat50112254
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, yiazmat50112254 said:

* the only item i added which IS aquireable multiple times is the fire keeper soul. but i count it as unique because it upgrades your estus flask, and maximizing it is unique, simply because you need them all to do that (however i don't know what happens after NG+ with them, so i also don't know if already collected fire keeper souls work again, if so feel free to mention and i'll

Well, the fire keeper souls kind of ARE unique, as many of them have different flavor text attached to them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Well, the fire keeper souls kind of ARE unique, as many of them have different flavor text attached to them.

thanks for the information. i have added it. 

i'll keep them in the guide either way then.

do you also know what happens if you try to use a fire keeper soul in NG+ that you have already used in the previous playthrough to buff your estus?

Spoiler

(example: in NG you used anastacia's soul to reinforce your estus. now you play NG+ and got anastacia's soul again. would it reinforce your estus again or is that not going to work?)

i saw on the wiki there is a max of +7 with flasks, and that there are 7 unique souls in game. so logically i would assume every unique soul should be used, but that isn't literally confirmed. so do you know what happens?

Edited by yiazmat50112254

On 2/15/2018 at 3:44 AM, yiazmat50112254 said:

thanks for the information. i have added it. 

i'll keep them in the guide either way then.

do you also know what happens if you try to use a fire keeper soul in NG+ that you have already used in the previous playthrough to buff your estus?

Reveal hidden contents

(example: in NG you used anastacia's soul to reinforce your estus. now you play NG+ and got anastacia's soul again. would it reinforce your estus again or is that not going to work?)

i saw on the wiki there is a max of +7 with flasks, and that there are 7 unique souls in game. so logically i would assume every unique soul should be used, but that isn't literally confirmed. so do you know what happens?

Sorry. I don't know the answer to that.

• 2 weeks later...